“AVOID AT ALL COSTS - BEDBUGS, DIRTY” 1 of 5 stars

The Merchants Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Back Piccadilly Street, Manchester M1 1HP, England   |
Ranked #104 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
San Diego
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS - BEDBUGS, DIRTY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was horrified upon entering hotel to smell urine. Carpet was dirty and stained as were walls. They had pieces of paper stuffed around pipes to cover holes. They provided no towels in my room, and instead of a teacup they provided a dish (I wouldn't eat or drink anything from there).
Noise all night from street below drunks coming out of pubs.

Since Manchester was packed that weekend, I decided to stay that night. Next day I discovered Bedbug bites, I'm sure from there. I had already left Manchester so couldn't complain. Wanted to get out as soon as I could as place was depressing.

I am demanding a refund from the hotel. Guy at reception was pleasant, but didn't make up for the horrid conditions of the hotel. It seemed more like a homeless shelter than hotel. Web sites are very misleading. I urge Booking.com and Venere to drop their listing.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel, but if you have to stay here, ask for one away from the stree...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after having to search a bit. It's quite easy if you know your bearings but as the road was closed off and its down a back alley we took a while locating it. There are nearby car parks. We were greeted with a friendly guy at reception who checked the room before letting us in.
The room was basic but the bed was moderately comfortable (if a little low) and the bathroom was grotty but clean as I would expect in an old building. We didn't spend much time in the room tbh so I couldn't really be offended too much. A mug was dirty & missing a cup but he was happy to replace these. No towels but we brought our own as we never expect to have these provided for us. Not that noisy, no more than you would expect in the middle of a busy city.
We found the breakfast room to be pleasant and the breakfast a little basic but nice. (Just cereals and toast, tea coffee and juice offered)

All in all, it wasn't as horrible as a lot of these reviews make it out to be. You pay cheap, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I booked this hotel through booking.com as I needed somewhere cheap to stay during a conference and the pictures appeared basic but clean!!

BIG MISTAKE

Although centrally located, the hotel is run down and dilapidated - more akin to a derelict nursing home. My room was dirty including used tea making facilities and someone else's soap in the shower (hinting it had not been washed).

After my first night sleep I noticed a blood stain on the bed sheets - unfortunately I had not checked the sheets the night before and did not know whether it was fresh. The following day I noticed a rash appearing over my torso. By the day of check out I was covered in bites - over 100 including over my face and neck. When i confronted management I was greeted with what appeared to be a rehearsed and expected explanation - they hotel ARE FULLY AWARE of the bed bug situation and are giving NO WARNING to patrons as they worry this is BAD FOR BUSINESS.

Apparently the rooms are being treated but I am awaiting confirmation from Manchester council!!

To add further insult to injury as there are NO wardrobes in the hotel I have found bed bugs in my house in London (even after thorough boiling of clothes, vacuuming and alcohol wiping the suitcase) and have had to pay £98 for the privileged of having my home fumigated.

I am in extreme discomfort and although received my money back from the hotel I am still awaiting any compensation regarding fumigation.

My advice - just pay more!! No value for money is worth the physical, emotional and financial distress!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

me and my friend booked this hotel purely on the basis it was cheap, and by the 'fooling' pictures on the Internet looked relativity nice, until we 'stupidly' read the reviews after our booking and was less than 5 days prior 'so we couldn't cancel' we where mortified by what people where saying, and expected the worst!
When we arrived we where absolutely mortified at how horrible it was from the outside, was in a very run down area and there was lots of building work going on, we didn't even want to stay!! It was like something out of a horror movie, no exaggeration! You are greeted by lots of stairs as you walk in, customer service was okay I guess, the man helped me with my bags! But overall me and my friend could t wait to leave, we felt very uneasy & unclean! The rooms were very basic, but unclean and unstable! I really wouldn't recommend this hotel, it's borderline horrible! It's worth paying slightly more money to be able to feel safe.
How they charge near enough 60 a night is absolutely beyond me....

• Stayed April 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

'When you arrive you will experience a personal service and a relaxed atmosphere. Our hotel has everything you need for a delightful stay, we invite you to experience the luxury of being treated like Royalty.'
This is what the hotel claims to offer, and was what I expected after looking at the images of the hotel. The reality is far from this
However, when me and my friend arrived,we were left unattended at the reception, after eventually checking in, we were then shown out room (which was on the floor above the reception) we were offered no help with our suitcases, which were two large heavy suitcases). When shown our room we were not shown were the toilet was, nor given any information about where anything was, breakfast etc.
The first thing I noticed wrong with the room was the unstable looking ceiling, then I noticed a broken window which wouldn't shut properly and was covered in mould, there was a dirty sink, make up/who knows all over 3/4 walls, there was no mattress protector on the bed combined with bed bugs. The carpet was filthy and covered in all sorts of stains and chewing gum marks.There were wires hanging everywhere, and suspicious looking marks on our skirting board, also the only lamp in the room was so coated in dust it made no difference when turned on.
The room looked like no-one had made any effort to clean it for our arrival, nor for anyone elses arrival for the last few years by the look of things.
Whilst I left my friend to ponder if we were going to stay in this place, i went looking for the toilet. The toilet on the floor we were on wasn't in order, so I had to walk up yet another flight of stairs and across the building to find the toilet, which had a dodgy lock, little toilet roll, urine and faeces on the wall and a terrible smell coming from it. There was no running hot water either coming from the taps.
When i returned from the toilet, i thought we were in room 4 so i opened the door with our key, however when i opened the door i realised that it wasnt our room, for 2 18 year old girls travelling on their own this was diabolical. IF I COULD OPEN SOMEONE ELSES ROOM WITH OUR KEY, THE THEY COULD DO THAT TO US.
After this we decided to leave, the man at reception laughed at us when we told him our problem and refused our refund, so we had to pay £109 for a different hotel that evening.
Since this the hotel have ignored all my calls and emails asking for a refund.
I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to stay here, its completely inhabitable

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The staff in this hotel were ok, didn't know much about customer service however. The hotel was in a quite run down area, through scaffolding and the hotel was quite dirty. Carpets especially were unclean.

The rooms weren't very safe and the locks were quite dodgy.

While walking outside one evening we were welcomed by a group of youths urinating on the hotel door.

Didn't really enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms looked nice in the website !!!
Oh so deceiving room was filthy , not cleaned as urine was still in a wobbly toilet, window was broken, dangerous and weak, heating was broken , mouldy and filthy walls .
Went to try a shower and I broke down in tears it was soo bad even the bed was unstable.
I have never been so deceived!! Drunks kept urinating up main hotel door as it looked like a dirty alley :(

Only stay if your desperate!!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Merchants Hotel? Share your experiences!