“Dirty and misleading advertising” 1 of 5 stars

The Merchants Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Back Piccadilly Street, Manchester M1 1HP, England   |
Ranked #104 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
jerez
“Dirty and misleading advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We needed a bed for the night as there was no public transport on the 26th of December and we'd been caught out so decided to make the most of it and visit Manchester and stop the night in the centre rather than paying 10 pounds more in the airport.

We didn't expect any more than a basic room for the price but as we didn't require many services we looked at the photos on booking.com and saw what appeared to be a clean basic hotel.

Upon arrival you are funneled down a back alley that looks like something out of the downtown bronx cerca 1978. Beer cans, litter and in the morning upon leaving a broken belt and a shoe. The entrance into the premises has a strong perfume to try and cover up the underlying stink of urine. Maybe cleaning and bleaching it would be a better solution. The member of staff on the door was friendly and helpful although he unusually charged our card upon arrival even though the detals are already captured via booking.com. The reason why soon becomes apparent.

We got to the room which is patched up and bodged. There was one piece of furniture which was broken and a chair with blood stains which continued on the floor and door. The room was cold and filthy, the windowsill, TV and pipes we're caked in dust and dirt. We would have moved to another place but being Boxing Day we decided to bite the bullet rather than not have to look for another central hotel after a long journey and bad weather.

After going for something to eat we returned to the hotel and the room was still freezing. We tried to use the TV which in reality was a 10 inch screen dangling from the wall with wires all over which didn't work. We thought about having a coffee but there was one dirty cup. The bathroom was filthy with rotting window frames and brown marks on the walls and roof. No towels...we decided to skip the shower and get our heads down. The sheets appeared to be clean at least but the mattress was wrecked and we started to itch as soon as we got into the bed....bed bugs!!

We awoke to get something in our stomachs and get out of there, on the website they say they have a continental breakfast which loosely translates as a loaf of Warbutons Toastie and a toaster, broken cereal dispensers and sachets of Nescafe with water in a flask!! Not quite the Croissants, fruit, table clothed tables and flowers shown in the photos. The floor in the breakfast room was heavily stained and everything was dirty.

This place is a shambles and should be shut down, it is shocking that such places still exist in a city such as Manchester and puts shame on our country and tourisim (I was travelling with an Italian who was shocked to say the least.) The website is false advertising, it is a health hazard and I will be reporting my comments to the Trade Desciptions and Health and Safety. Don't be fooled by the positive comments you can see that they are blatantly from staff or management. Nobody could give this place a 5 out of 5 for cleaniless unless you were born in a skip. The excuse of you get what you pay for just is not true these days, you can often get a room in Travelodge/premier etc for 30 pounds which is cheaper than this hotel. Really appaling!!

Room Tip: Sleep in the airport on a bench
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This place is pretty much the cheapest city centre hotel in Manchester - and you can tell.

It's very scruffy inside. The rooms look like they have been maintained and serviced by a team of tramps with no DIY experience.

The breakfast was basically filter coffee, a kettle, a toaster, some cereal and a load of Warbutons Toastie. I've had worse, this was minimal but ok.

The bedding was clean and the shower worked... so if you just want somewhere to crash after a night out, then it does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have reported this hotel to trading standards, health and safety and advised I will take them to court to get my money back it is that bad!!!! We arrived at the hotel and had to climb over a mountain of carboard and bin bangs to walk down a small allyway with no light and luggage to a side door and ring a buzzer. When we go to reception we were told payment had been taken off my card for the room yet my booking.com confirmation clearly stated you pay reception on arrival.

We were given our key and advised to go up 2 flights of stairs. The hotel was dark, smelt of damp and there was mould and water damamge all down the walls as we went up the stairs.

We had booked an ensuit room. The bathroom was not cleaned and was full of small body hair, no towels and damp and mould all over the walls. The bedroom its self was very dirty and had no furniture in it. No wardrobe ...a hook on the wall, paint peeling off and wallpaper from damp.

The curtain did not fit the window and to make it worse there was a window in the ceiling with no cutrain which had clearly never been cleaned in years as there was cobwebs on it and some brown tape holding something to the window.

This window was directrly over the bed???? how is anyone meant to sleep with a window with no blind above the bed???!!!

We went back to reception and stated that the room was unlivable. Reception said ok and took our keys back... that was it...No offer of another room or even ask why.

We ended up going and getting a room in the Britannia hotel but this messing about meant we had lost 2 hours of our trip.

Upon my return home I contacted the hotel and booking.com with regards to the room and enclosed photos and advised I wanted a refund of money which they were not authorised to take. It also turned out the hotel had taken more money then they should.

Bookings.com didnt want to know at first saying they are a third agent and it is the hotel which upload there photos. The hotel also never responded to telephone calls or a letter.

I then contacted trading standard who have taken it up as a case and I wrote to both the hotel and booking.com treatening legal action. I also pointed out to booking.com that as third party agents they take a fee for every booking made through their website for the hotel so that makes them liable for costs.

They soon responded to me.. They tried to contact the hotel on a number of occasions with no joy and in the end offered to refund me themselves.

I have since had a refund and I have reported the hotel to the health inspector at Manchester council. This is not a hotel this is at a push a very very bad hostal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

The only redeeming feature is the central location , toilets one per floor, filthy, no loo roll , stayed two nights and had no curtains at two large windows, I'm 7 months pregnant and how could I shower with big open windows??? Complained 3 times and finally got some put up second night that are a foot too small to reach the sill, plus it stinks of urine in the hallways

• Stayed November 2012
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The street leading to it is undergoing some works, so you have to go trough a creepy corridor cluttered with garbage which leads to the main door. At the intercom, I called the reception and was barked at that "We have no rooms" though I explicitely stated my name and that I had made a booking. Great first impression.

I came in and was immediately told that I came too early and I had to speak louder than the manager to ask to leave my luggage. There was nowhere to leave my luggage but under the breakfast table.

The hotel is old and mouldy, the stairs are a hazard. The room was small (that's fine), but the carpet was stained, the "bathroom" was built-in in the room itself, and it needed some good scrubbing. The toilets were at the end of the hallway. Dead spider in the window corner, no hot water at the tap, and it wasn't very clean.

The worst part for me was the heat. There was none. Manchester in November and no heat AT ALL. At 5pm I went to the reception and said that there was no heat. Answer "It should be fixed tonight but you know, I'm cold too" (!). I also told the staff that there were no towels, "they are in the drier", fine.

I came back around midnight to a cold and towel-less room and couldn't wash my hand or take a shower (that I paid for). Worst night ever, there was a draft with the window, the duvet was quite small and insufficient.

The next morning at 8am I went to the manager and asked for towels, they were ready but no one felt the need to bring it up the day before. I complained about the cold, asking that we should have had an extra blanket or something, no answer. Just a couple of lame-sounding excuses and the general impression that he didn't care at all.

So if you take room with a bathroom, it's just a shower IN the room, there are no shower gel or soap and no towels either. Breakfast was barely decent, cheap fake orange juice and white sliced bread, broken cereal dispensers. And the manager felt the need to turn the TV on loudly just for his own pleasure, even though no one really wanted to watch a soccer game at 8am.

One member of the staff was really nice but couldn't do much, but the manager was really unbearable.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Daventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Got there, entrance stairs spelt of wee. We booked twin room but was asked if we would change to a double for £10 less, we said no. Couldn`t wish for a more helpful member of staff, couldn`t do enough for us and very pleasant. Hotel was more like a hostel, only one cup, 1 glass, tea and coffee hadn`t been topped up, no wardrobe only a rack, no cupboards or drawers, bathroom was minging, the floor had toothpaste dribbles and dirt and the skirting boards hadn`t been cleaned in my life time. The shower glass hadn`t been cleaned and niether had the shower floor. there was a towel over the shower that was full of lipstick or something although it had been washed. when i asked to change it he sniffed it and said " it`s ok it`s a fresh towel. only 1 towel each. The floor in the dining room and internet cafe were stained badly, there was a big hole in the roof to the fire escape and full of fag butts. COME ON HEALTH AND SAFTEY DO YOUR JOB!!!!!! THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMED. oh i forgot, good location LOL

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Advertised facilities were not available (wifi). Website misrepresents condition of rooms. The guy at the desk was friendly but inept. Room had no place to store clothes. Owner was rude and obnoxious. He actually threatened my partner while I was out. We did not stay the second night as she did not feel safe after the owner's threat. I will be looking at making a formal complaint to trading standards. We considered calling the police. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Merchants Hotel? Share your experiences!