“Delightful Dining at 47 King Street West, Manchester” 5 of 5 stars

0161 839 1929
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 1,825 Restaurants in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Hazel Grove, England, United Kingdom
“Delightful Dining at 47 King Street West, Manchester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

A warm welcome greeted us on our first visit to 47 KSW in Manchester, having coupled it with a theatre visit to see the Lion King, this truly was an afternoon and evening of treats. Walking in after the infectious energy and brightness that was the wonderful spectacular of the show, the beautiful setting of this restaurant is a cool modern twist on an Art Deco theme, feeling both serene and sumptuous in equal measure.

We arrived during the 2 for 1 cocktail offer and I couldn’t resist my absolute favourite Kir Royale and my husband went for the classic ‘Old Fashioned’ recommended by Barry, partner in this Hymanson family run establishment with his dad Mike, brother Howard and mum Sherrie. After having sat in the cocktail bar area for roughly 20 minutes we were guided by one of the friendly waitresses to our table, as we were relatively early evening diners we were lucky to be placed in one of the curvaceous cream booths. The table was elegantly dressed with white crisp linen tablecloths akin to what you would find in an upmarket hotel restaurant. The lovely photo’s on the website make the restaurant look fairly large when in reality it’s quirky shape with the bar placed directly in the middle, bar seating to the narrow end and cosy bistro style restaurant at the larger end is very well balanced and gives definition for those who want to experience the delights of the cocktail bar, whilst being able to have a great chat or catch up without fear of upsetting any diners. The cocktail bar is a great place to start any night out, young or old.

I have digressed slightly (for those who know me, no surprise there!) the all important food…..an Evening A La Carte menu which has variety but is not over facing in the way that so many eateries are these days, where there is often far to much choice. Talented Manchester born chef Rod Francis has put together a well thought out menu that should offer any discerning diner a pleasant feast. I started with the pan fried scallops, mango & peanut salsa, air dried pancetta, writing this review a week later I can still savour the delicate flavours that made up this wonderful plate. For the main course I chose the Lamb rump with daupinoise potatoes, Mediterranean vegetable ragout, rosemary jus, with a side order of mixed greens with ginger; beautifully presented my lamb was perfectly cooked for me as I had asked. My favourite potatoes were a perfectly placed square of scrumptious taste with a nice crunchy top, the mixed greens comprising of curly cabbage, broccoli & courgette were a lovely compliment of zesty freshness and sat well both with my lamb and my husbands fillet steak. To accompany our meal we chose an Italian white Gavi, which was enjoyably crisp and vibrant. I have omitted reviewing my husbands choice of dinner because I believe he is going to write his own. For dessert another of my favourites Crème Brulee with the added twist of an apple crumble base, it was incredibly satisfying. It is rare that I manage three courses when out to dinner but every course is perfectly proportioned and the service relaxing and unrushed.

With panache 47 KSW provided us with the perfect accompaniment to a post theatre trip and I would highly recommend it. On entering and leaving this splendid establishment you may spy the Destination Florida advertising stand which is there to promote owner Mike’s philanthropic other love, a commendable charity which supports children with life long or threatening illnesses with the holiday of a lifetime. The charity is well supported by local celebrities and sports stars many of whom I believe pop in from time to time. Whether you are a local or visitor to the fine city of Manchester it is a definite ‘must do’ to add to your list. Although not a cheap night out, it was value for money given the excellent service, food and overall experience and I look forward to returning, I have my eye on their famous afternoon tea or traditional Sunday lunch, visit www.47kingstreetwest.co.uk I promise it will be worth it.

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxed evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The staff were very welcoming and gave us directions when we went to the wrong end of King St, the food was amazing, I had goats cheese and pepper cake to start which melted in the mouth with great flavour followed by the lamb with dauphiniose potatoes, perfectly cooked and a lovely eton mess to end the meal. We weren't rushed, even though we were there after the official closing time and the staff were attentive but not overly so. We will return.

Manchester, UK
“One of the best kept secrets in Manchester City Centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having been to 47 King Street West for afternoon tea and having thoroughly enjoyed it, I was made aware that at night time, (Weds to Sunday) they operate as a restaurant and grill. And what a restaurant! 47 King Street West is up there with all the other top Manchester restaurants. We had a fantastic meal - starters were soup and a spiced goats cheese and tomato cake. For mains we had chicken and lamb and for dessert we had eton mess and peanut butter cheese cake. The food was superb, tasty and beautifully presented, and the service was attentive without being overbearing. Prices were bang in line with other city centre venues - in fact the main courses came with plentiful side dishes that extra sides did NOT need to be ordered.

The ambiance and decor is lovely - and as a family business you can see the care that goes into each meal and customer. So forget the big chains and names - I really do urge you to try 47 King Street West.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Hands down, a fantastic lunch.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

On the Saturday of the Easter weekend, my husband and I were in town with my parents. My husband had read reviews for 47 King Street West and thought that it sounded like the ideal place for lunch. In a nutshell: the reviews did not lie.

When we arrived (without a reservation), we were warmly greeted, and taken to a lovely booth where we were promptly given water and menus. After that, we were given sufficient time to choose what we wanted from the menu that is big enough to not be confusing, and has a great variety of options on offer, depending on how hungry you are. I toyed with the idea of Afternoon Tea until I heard that there was home-made tomato and basil soup on offer. Sold! I had that with the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. No lie, you are unlikely to find better soup anywhere. It was absolutely and totally delicious. The bagel, which was warm though not toasted, had lots of filling in it. Super tasty. Dad and Mum had the same bagel as I, and also had the Mexican Chicken soup, which my Mum is still raving about! My husband had the tomato/basil soup and the club sandwich, both of which he devoured.

Service was prompt and friendly, and the atmosphere in the very comfortable setting was buzzing. All that combined with officially the best lunch I have had in a million years means that I no longer need any other excuse for a visit to Manchester than lunch in 47 King Street West! Make sure you give it a go soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Highly recommended for Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Visited this place for the first time today having noticed positive reviews of it on twitter. Had a thoroughly enjoyable, good value (for afternoon tea) afternoon tea.

The venue (directly opposite "San Carlo") is lovely, well decorated and relaxing, the huge empty champagne bottles echoing the opulence of the restaurant over the road. Clientele was mixed - around us (a young couple) were a couple with a young child, two ladies at lunch and a 60th tea party. Service is great as friendly, we arrived ten minutes before our booking and were shown straight to our table. The "47 afternoon tea" was delicious and a thoroughly relaxed experience. The scone in particular was superb.

Will definitely be back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere