“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars

0161 839 1929
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 1,757 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Lancs
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We visited 47 King Street West for a Birthday meal on Saturday night after hearing some good things about their new dinner menu and we arrived with great expectations. It is a nice looking place and we were warmly greeted and ready for the meal to come. We were shown to our table but unfortunately that's when things began to go down hill. I initially ordered the Pan fried scallops (£10.75) while the other half went for the Double baked goats cheese souffle (£6.25), A few minutes after ordering I was then told they had ran out of the scallop and so I instead also ended up with the souffle. We were then left waiting for around half an hour as we were repeatedly told they had a large party in which were clearly taking all the kitchens time and effort (as well as sapping the atmosphere due to one particular loud mouthed buffoon). The staff were obviously aware as they did bring a small smoked duck canape but a couple of glasses of wine later we were definitely ready for something to eat and so when the starters arrived we dived right in, only to be met with a grossly over cooked eggy sponge pudding that somehow had stone cold spots in the centre. The staff were again very apologetic and whisked it away but obviously by the time the new dish arrived, the wife had long finished her starter. The second souffle was equally overcooked but at least minus the cold spots.

We then had another long wait for our main course and had nearly finished the bottle of wine (Willowglen de bortoli shiraz cabernet £19.95) by the time they arrived, again the staff were very apologetic and brought a complimentary glass of wine but obviously wine was the last thing we wanted although we appreciated the gesture. I had ordered the Lamb Rump (£19.75) and the wife the Pan fried Halibut (£20.75), The portions were very small which you forgive when the quality is top notch but my lamb wasn't great and was either a very bad cut of rump or undercooked as it was very tough like a rubber band. It came with a small black olive potato cake which was actually very tasty and a vegetable "gateau". The wife’s fish was o.k. but again just not the quality it should have been. If you do visit and you are hungry then I would definitely consider a side dish. We had already been in the restaurant for two hours and were so disappointed that we skipped dessert and left hungry.

The total bill wasn't really reflective of what it should have been at only around £60 as they did not charge me for one of the souffles and we obviously didn't have the desserts, drinks, coffees etc we would have done normally but it was £60 paid for a very disappointing meal that spoiled an otherwise great birthday night. We were assured by the staff that this wasn't normal for the restaurant and that the large party (who had also arrived very late apparently) had upset everything but I only accept that to a point because a good restaurant and kitchen should be able to cater equally for groups and couples and consistently produce quality food.

My final thought is that perhaps ours was a one off experience and we were just unlucky, teething problems etc and I would possibly return if I knew things would be better but to be honest if you are a food lover then you know that there are so many excellent restaurants in the city in the same price bracket that it would be hard to justify risking paying them again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
barry h, Manager at 47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hi Thryth,
Thanks for posting a review. Whilst obviously your experience was not as it should have been, it is helpful to have such feedback and I appreciate you coming over to speak to us on the night about your experience.
With regards to the waiting time, this was, as you say, largely due to the large table who were in the restaurant. This is not an excuse for your delay, but a factor which caused it. We are looking at ways in which we can accommodate large parties on Saturday nights without compromising the experience for other diners. In terms of the food, I am disappointed that, in the main, you did not enjoy this aspect of your experience. This is most unusual in our restaurant. We only buy the highest quality produce and our emphasis is always on producing the finest food possible. I am sorry that you found the lamb to be fatty. Again this is not something we have really experienced before. The souffle was an unfortunate incident as your partner's souffle (cooked at the same time) had no cold spot in the middle. Again, we have had no issue whatsoever with this dish before - it has always proved popular. In terms of your partner's halibut dish, I was not aware there was any issue with this and I recall she told the waiter that it was fantastic at the time. Many customers remark that the dish is one of the tastiest they have experienced.
I am pleased that you say that you still managed to enjoy the birthday celebrations and that you did not let your experience ruin this.
Even though your experience was not good on this occasion, I hope next time you are choosing a restaurant to dine at you will consider giving us another chance and I would sincerely hope you would not be disappointed again.

Blackpool
“Pre Jesus Christ Superstar Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to 47 King Street West for a meal before going to see Jesus Christ Superstar on Sunday the 7 October, I rang to make the booking and was told that on Sunday they only did Sunday lunch and the afternoon tea menu, this was not a problem and on arriving after having to ring to say we would be a little late due to traffice, the staff were great, customer service is obviously very important to this restaurant and it makes a nice change to have friendly and attentive staff without being intrusive
The food was excellent and we thought the price was very reasonable
A great find and we will be back - Thank you 47 King Street West

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent new restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Went there for my friends farewell. Excellent customer service, food is amazing and lovely environment too. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. The only thing that I felt is a let down which is the portion of the food. As I usually could not finish the whole three course meal but over here, I still feel that I have room for more after the dessert. Other than that, everything was absolutely amazing.

P.S- The dessert was very lovely!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
barry h, Manager at 47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food, service and experience of dining at 47.
Hopefully see you and your friends back here soon.
Regards
Barry (Manager)
Bath
“Very good apart from the veggie option!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place appears to be all about serving quality food and providing excellent service and for the most part they achieved this. Personally I found the decor very cold but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The cocktails were delicious (I tried the cosmopolitan and elderflower fizz).
The goat's cheese soufflé to start was very tasty and the texture was perfect and I had the spring chicken after. I was lucky because the portion size of the chicken was spot on but two of the people I was with ordered the Mediterranean vegetable stack and I have to say I laughed when it came out. It was tiny and really should have been a starter not a main course. In my experience vegetarian options tend to be quite large because after all veggies are cheap but this mini stack was more like a mini snack. It was also the only vegetarian option so perhaps this place is better for meat eaters! We were visiting during the 50% off food period so we decided not to complain but had we been charged the full price (over £13) I think I would have said something. It just came across as a bit of a rip off which was a shame because everything else was lovely and my chicken was excellent.
Anyway to sum up this place was really good but it really should rectify the vegetarian issue.
Anyway to sum up the food was generally very good

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you generally thought the experience was good and thanks for your helpful comments. I have taken onboard your comment about the vegetarian dish and will discuss this with our head chef and look to rectify this. The menu was only launched a few weeks ago when we opened as an evening estalishment and we are still learning everyday. I think we could look to make this dish more substantial as it is a nice dish but perhaps a few more carbs in there would make it a little more filling! It is certainly not our intention to under provide for vegetarian diners. Happy to enjoyed the chicken and the service and hope to see you back here in the not too distant future.
Barry (Manager)
Manchester, United Kingdom
“WOW !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My daughter and I had heard good things about this restaurant/bar and decided to try it on Thursday evening. This fabulous place get two huge ticks from both of us . We started with cocktails at the bar ( strawberry mojito fab) and was impressed by both the service and the quality of the cocktails.. ( no tacky gimmicks ) . The gentleman who showed us to our seats was really helpful and created an ambience of class coupled with a relaxed feel. The server was really knowledgable about the menu and helped me to choose what was probably the best halibut I've tasted. The menu is classy with something for everyone .... We both really enjoyed it so much that I enquired about this Saturday evening as I wanted to take my husband .... Not surprisingly the restaurant was fully booked so we opted for what looks like a Sunday roast to die for. Not a negative in sight for us and we will be recommending this trendy new place in the heart of Manchester to everyone .....

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere