“Great weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Edinburgh
“Great weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My friends and I stayed in the Novotel Manchester center from 4-6 June 2010 for a hen weekend and had a great weekend away. The hotel was in a great location, close to shops, nightlife and restaurants and bars. The staff were very friendly, despite us being a large group of demanding hens, especially the restautant staff in the hotel where we dined on Saturdat night. I would definitely recommend the hotel to any friends/family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Glad you had a good time at Novotel Manchester Centre! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Iain Black

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Wirral, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Having just stayed at the Novotel Manchester City Centre, on 5th June - I would say that the location on the hotel is very central to what Manchester has to offer.

This is my first time stay in a Novotel in Manchester, but have stayed in various throughout the country. Check in was very quick and the staff were professional and courteous.

When entering the Executive room I booked, it was very spacious and nice. However, after checking the room I thought I would do a "kim and aggie" and noticed that there were crisp packets and alpen bar wrappers under the bed and tea ring stains on a desk! Having reported this to reception, I was informed that house-keeping will be informed straight away so it doesnt happen again!

I booked the Executive room for the extra touches. I did notice that there were no bath robe and slippers in the room and having again informed reception, I was informed that there was a shortage in the hotel and they were not available - This made me feel that I could not use the In-Balance Spa rooms as I didnt take my own robe having thought they were included. If they have a shortage, I feel, why advertise on their site that they come with the package!

Also included in the package was the internet. Having not taken my own laptop, I was pleased to see that you could use the internet through the TV. Initially this did not work but after contacting reception, the error was fixed. You are pretty restricted as to what you can do on the TV internet as I found that I could not log in to work emails or accounts as the browser was very old. When checking out I noticed that I was charged for the use of this service, they soon rectified the bill.

They did however, allow late check-out at no charge and had luggage facilities so you didn't have to carry them with you after check-out and waiting for your means of travel.

Overall, Manchester was a great city to hold my birthday celebrations in and I would more than likely stay
at the Novotel again and hopefully their problems will be ironed out by then!

Ian - Wirral

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
iblack, Operations Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Thank you for your comments. I can assure you the matter is being looked into. Feel free to call me at the hotel to discuss this further. Kind regards, Christopher Thomson, Operations Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights, and booked with Thomas Cook. We paid £128 which inc £30 discount offer.
Hotel is in great location, a 10 min walk from Piccadilly station, and 2 mins from Chinatown.
Hotel was clean and staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and a reasonable size. We had no issues with unwanted noise.
We had a very warm 2 days and the room was fairly warm at night even with the air con running.
This was our only issue, and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manchester centre and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Iain Black
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Very well situated - close to the train station and a short walk to all the shops. Very helpful staff. Quiet despite it's proximity to everything

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Iain B, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. Best regards Iain Black
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Great location for whole of city centre and definitely value for money compared with other hotels in Manchester. Very friendly staff make sure you are well looked after.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manchester Centre. I look forward to your next visit. Kind regards Iain Black
Choppington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I stayed here with my partner on Sat 29th May as we were going to a concert at the MEN Arena.

Check in was no problem, we should've checked in at 2pm but our room was ready at lunch time so early check in was no problem. The staff were really friendly and helpful and wished us a good time at the concert.

The hotel is situated right near China Town which was handy, we didnt eat there but there were plenty of restaurants to choose from. We ate at Weatherspoons not far from the hotel which was cheap and cheerful and in a huge fabulous old building.

The rooms were a really good size and spotlessly clean, the power shower was great and there was plenty of storage space for clothes etc and the bed was nice and comfy. There wasnt much of a view from our room but we didnt mind with being there only one night.

The breakfast was lovely and we thought it was excellent value for money, I paid £69 B&B for us and we were offered the same rate if we wanted to stay an extra night.

The hotel is around 15 minutes walk from the arena which was OK for us, we stopped off for food along the way at a shopping centre in Deansgate which was full of great shops.

The hotel with such a great location, spotlessly clean with a fab breakfast - you cant go wrong. It was our first time in Manchester and we'd definitely go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Manchester Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Iain Black
Novotel Manchester Centre
York, North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I stayed at the Novotel over the weekend, while attending a training course elsewhere. The hotel is located just outside Manchester's Chinatown. If you're facing reception, you can see the famous Chinese arch across the road, and through the revolving doors to your left. I didn't dine in the hotel in the evenings, because it was so easy to get good Asian/Oriental food nearby. The hotel is also not too far away from Piccadilly train station, and the buses at Piccadilly Gardens. There's a gym in the hotel, but I didn't use it.

Checking in and out went smoothly. The staff were friendly and helpful. When I had a query about local shops, they were able to offer advice. The room itself was fine. It was clean, and spacious enough, with a very comfortable bed. There was a sofa, a large desk, and a separate bathroom and toilet. The shower/bath was very nice. I also liked the light levels in the room. Not too dark, not too bright. It would have been good to have had a bottle of body lotion with the soap, shower gel, etc. And I think the sink design wasn't great, as the soap could easily slip into the sink. But those are minor quibbles.

There wasn't a view from the window, but then I wasn't looking for a good view. It was a hot weekend, and the air conditioner took a while to lower the temperature, but it did work in the end. I think one drawback about the Novotel is that given their prices, they could have offered free wifi in the room. I could have purchased a package with broadband, movies, etc, if I wanted to, but I wasn't going to be in the room that much over the weekend. I didn't want to pay extra to get on the internet to check my e-mail, to look up bus or train times, or to use Google maps.

I did very much like that the room was very quiet. I didn't hear noise from other rooms, or the corridor outside. So either there weren't many other people around, or there is good soundproofing in the hotel. I also liked that there was decaf coffee, and herbal teas in the tea/coffee tray in the room. There was also a fridge with a mini-bar, but I didn't use that. And there was an in-room safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

Breakfast was OK. I went down for it very early, and it took a while for staff to appear and seat me. But I particularly liked that there was soya milk available for my cereal. I also liked that the menu gave information on the calories of different food items. If I wanted to eat heathily, that would have been useful. There was a good choice of continental and cooked foods, and fresh fruit, fruit salad, fruit juices, etc.

On the whole, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
Dear Guest,

Kind regards

Christopher Thomson

Operations Manager

Been to Novotel Manchester Centre? Share your experiences!