“Great hotel!,,,” 5 of 5 stars

Novotel Manchester Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Dickinson Street, Manchester M1 4LX, England   |
Ranked #33 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip to Manchester, wasn't sure what to expect but I was really pleasantly surprised. It looks like the hotel has recently been refurbished, the decor is quite 1960s in a trendy (not tired and out of date!) way. Bar had plenty of comfortable seating, free wi-fi was available in public areas.
The restaurant was the biggest surprise, wasn't expecting to see such reasonable prices. I had a steak which was perfectly cooked, the chips were a bit of a disappointment as clearly frozen given their texture and lack of taste, but the squid starter was better than I've had in many restaurants. Breakfast provided a good choice of cereals, bread products and cooked food.

The room was large, with a sofa as well as a bed, slightly odd to have a separate toilet to the bathroom, but everything was very clean and worked as expected. I slept very well given that the hotel is in the heart of the city and just off a busy main road - very well insulated for sound.

All in all, it was a pleasant surprise and I'd certainly recommend to anyone visiting Manchester for business. For anyone visiting for leisure it's well-placed for Oxford Road train station (2 minutes to Piccadilly and the main shopping area) and Chinatown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Manchester Centre. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just needed a family room in Manchester for a night for 2 adults & 2 kids after a United match. We were able to leave our bag before we set off to the game. We arrived back in the evening to a welcome reception & a clean room, which is all we needed. The room was just big enough for the 4 of us. The kids were happy with their (sofa) beds & it helped that the double sofa converted to 2 single beds. Breakfast was good quality & we all enjoyed our stay. If I had a criticism it was the softness of the beds, but I realise that some people like this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Manchester Centre hopefully soon. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my family during the summer, only to have a cleaner try to enter the room twice whilst we were still in bed and then for them to actually walk in without knocking whilst my wife and children were getting dressed. All before half past nine the the morning.

At the time we were offered a complimentary nights stay as compensation which I accepted. However, when I tried to book the room I was told that I couldn't because there weren't any rooms available on that night, despite the fact that rooms were available to book online. When I pointed this out I was told that, although they were not full, they were busy and therefore could not give a free room.

I said that I would not accept this as although the offer was subject to availability, there clearly was still availability and wanted to discuss it with the manager, who I was eventually told is Iain Black. I was told that I would have to put all of my concerns in an email for the matter to be considered further which I objected to as I am the aggrieved party and did not feel that I should have to waste more of my time writing a long email when I had already made my feelings more than clear and felt it easier to discuss the matter over the phone.

I was promised by the Housekeeping Manager a call back the following day from Mr Black, but sadly he seems to have ignored my complaint as a week has now passed without any contact.

It seems such a simple thing for a huge organisation to put things right when their service has been so poor, rather than only being willing to do it on their terms when it will least impact their profit. Instead they prefer to ignore customers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Manchester Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that I have passed your comments to the Housekeeping department and we have taken the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.
We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel Manchester Centre and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience, however as stated in the offer originally sent, your complimentary stay is subject to availability. Please do not hesitate to contact me to arrange the future stay. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Absolutely brilliant, clean , comfortable and warm room. Staff friendly and organised. Wished we had been staying for longer! location excellent and buffet breakfast had a marvellous choice. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. We are looking forward to visiting it again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Manchester Centre and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My partner and I usually stay in The Jurys Inn but we got a great offer from Accor so thought that we would try somewhere new. We were not left disappointed by our decision.
I contacted the hotel a few days prior to our visit to enquire about parking and the reply was fast and helpful.
We checked in later than planned on the first of our 2 night stay and opted for an early night. We ordered room service and apprehansively awaited its arrival (we have had a bad experience in the past) once again we were not left regretting our decision. It was fantastic.

The next day we had lunch booked and spent the morning shopping before returning to the hotel for a visit to the spa before heading out to the theatre which is only a 5 minute walk away.
Parking is expensive but it is a city centre and the hotel provided us with a discount voucher to use. It was cheaper than buying train tickets.

The hotel is fantastic and I have recommended it to friends and family already. We would definately stay here again.

Thankyou Novotel Manchester.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manchester Centre on this visit to our City. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The location was excellent: walking distance from Piccadilly Station and in Chinatown, a lively and dynamic area of the city. It was conveniently placed for my meeting the next day. The service at the desk was at once cheerful and efficient and I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast in the morning.

The room was very standard and less comfortable than other Novotel rooms I've stayed in: it was quite dark and was too warm because of poor ventilation, which meant I had to open the window even on a cold February night. The street was very noisy late at night. However overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it for a short business trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Manchester Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.

Been to Novotel Manchester Centre? Share your experiences!