“Just perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jack Spratt - CLOSED

Jack Spratt
John Dalton Street, St James Square, Manchester M2 6WH, England (Manchester City Centre)
0161 833 1016
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, International, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manchester City Centre
Description: A favourite local hideaway brimming with bohemian charm, Jack Spratt offers relaxed continental-style cuisine. Showcasing a homemade menu, wholesome Jack Spratt favourites include sizzling grill cuts, hand-pressed burgers and flavoursome vegetarian options, whilst a selective wine list showcases carefully chosen international bottles. Jack Spratt is renowned for its eclectic music playlist, and draws in a following with its regular live music sessions.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

After being let down by another city centre restaurant, we descended upon Jack Spratt, late one Fri evening! Service was amazing, food out of this world! The ox cheek and kedgeree were stunning! It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere, with the staff eager for feedback so they can try and build on their success!
Will be recommending this place to anyone and everyone

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
“Excited to visit but disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend were struggling to think where to go and i remembered jack spratt as it looks lovely from the outside. When we went in we were pleasantly greeted and seated. We ordered drinks and was asked for the food order but wasn't ready. The waiter was very patient! On the menu they had a 2 courses for £13 deal.

We decided to have hummus and bread to start and two burgers. When ordering i realised burgers weren't in the deal so offered to pay more thinking it wouldn't be a problem. I specifically asked to mix and match and the waiter said ill see what i can do. After waiting a while the owner (i think, very nice!) brought out our mains. I explained we ordered starters. He grabbed our waiter who said hed told us it was off the evening menu! If he had have explained that i wouldn't have minded but he just lied! No offer to go and get some anyway.

The burger itself was medium rare as explained and was very nice. The homemade burger sauce went down a treat. When we had finished it took a good 5 minutes to clear our plate after i shouted for the bill (only one other table in restaurant) it then took ages to bring a card machine. Had to wave my card! Thankfully the owner recognised i was disappointed about the mix up and said next time something would be on the house. Wont be going back though. Would have been happier with an offer of a starter or pudding though! The burgers were reasonably priced but a large rose was £6 which shocked me!

Nice area nice outside small inside. Loved the owner shame about the other service though

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“A good find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We visited this restaurant 13.09.13 after passing it loads of times without venturing in. The staff were really friendly and helpful throughout. We arrived at 6.30 and every table was taken. I ordered the braised ox cheek and it was delicious. The meat just fell apart. I also ordered the burger, after being told that it would be slightly pink unless I wanted it cooked further - it was perfect. My partner ordered the kedgeree balls that were really tasty with chicken noodles to follow. They forgot to put the chicken on, but when it came back from the kitchen there was plenty and it was just right. We would definitely recommend this place. At £13.50 for 2 courses it was great value.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Glad we went back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Have only been here once before and was rally disappointed. The menu was limited and they only had one special left and just the one portion of that.

Anyway, we always thought it had potential and, last night, it did live up to that. There is still a bit of room for improvement ( what was that that accompanied my lamb?) but we has a great meal and it was excellent value. The service was friendly, the drinks great and the food wonderful.

It is nice to see an independent restaurant doing well and well done to JS for solving the issue that bugged us last time. The specials are now part of the menu and are all available. There isn't a very wide range to choose from but this is deliberate and what there is is done very well.

Would now definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Managers are to big for their shoes...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I visited with my partner and I ordered the garlic mayo beef burger and my partner the steak, onion and cheese beguette.

The waiter said hi when we walked in and advised to sit where ever we liked, we sat down and drink orderes where taken etc..

The food come and I'd started to tuck into my meal and I noticed the burger was still pink, so I complained and waiter asked if I would like cooked again or to replace whole meal. I advised it was okie due to me eating the rest of my meal and my partners.

The manager later came over with no form of apology what so ever, they advised that their burgers are always cooked like that and this is stated in the menu.. I didn't notice...

He didn't offer even a very small discount due to the supposing mix up...

They walked around the restaurant chatting to passing friends that would visit and didn't seem to have any organisational skills what so ever. It's only a small place but they do have a lot of staff running around after customers..

They don't know which table has been seen to or checked upon to see if things are ok.

I don't like poorly managed un organised restaurants.. The relaxed feeling disappears.

• Visited August 2013