“A lovely quirky little place for lunch or cakes.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chorley, Lancashire
“A lovely quirky little place for lunch or cakes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I visited with 4 friends for lunch, the place is quite small and feels friendly when you walk in, the staff were pleasant and happy. The good was generally of a high standard, although I ordered the fish finger sandwich which was a bit dry, but still pleasant. The cakes were good as were the shakes. Not cheap it cost us £80 for 4 although we did have more than one drink each. If recommend the cake plate to share between 2-3 people.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“More than just another quirky vintage tea shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband has seen the website before we planned our trip and was really impressed especially as it said it was gluten free. I was a little sceptical as sometimes vintage style places we have been to in the past have lacked something. This place delivered on every angle.

The atmosphere was lovely, staff were friendly and efficient. They had a great selection of teas and even offered a top up of water! This is usually something we have to ask for in other places. It's clear they love their tea.
They had gluten free bread so most things on the menu we're available to me which was amazing. I had bananas on toast with maple syrup which was amazing.
We were both so full we didn't have space for cake but it looked amazing and will be something we will return for!

“Yum, yum, yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Wow, first visit here and so impressed. The decor, the staff, the food....all fantastic.
I felt like we had stepped back in time with the beautiful vintage decor.
We were shown to a table by the pleasant waitress and given a menu.
I opted for strawberry and vanilla milkshake which came topped with whipped cream and a splash if strawberry sauce....yummy. my mother in law had the hot chocolate which came in a beautiful vintage style tea cup and was topped with cream and marshmallows....neither was over priced.
For lunch I opted for Garden Assortment...beautiful thick ham on ciabatta with poached egg, asparagus and a leafy salad tossed in mustard/mayo sauce...delicious. my mother in law opted for the Tib street club again gorgeous. This also came with a little jar of onions (slow fried with muscovado sugar and balsamic vinegar our waitress told us)...gorgeous.
Puddings were equally yummy...Tibb street coconut brownie which came with a beautiful dollop of vanilla ice cream (tasted like frozen whipped cream...it was gorgeous) and Mumas sticky toffee pudding....mmmm.
Staff all looked like they had stepped out of the 50s....very glam and were helpful, knowledgeable of the menu, polite and didn't make us wait long for drinks or food.
I think the prices were reasonable (I have been to dearer greasy spoon cafes before).
We went at lunch time and it was very busy but had no problems with service.
I will be going again.

Manchester
“Nice enough but over-hyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Visited Sugar Junction with a friend in the hopes of grabbing a bite to eat for breakfast. We'd heard amazing things so were hoping to be wowed.

When we got there, the place was predictably busy, which meant that we were seated in the basement. While the ground floor is cute and quirky, the basement crosses the line into creepy granny's lounge - it's dingy, and feels way too much like the back room in a junk shop. We were offered the sofas but chose to sit at a table simply because the sofas looked dirty and grungy. As it was, the chairs we sat on were lumpy and a bit gross anyway.

Service was really friendly but a bit slow - we asked what cakes were on offer but had to wait while the poor waitress trudged back upstairs to get a chalkboard with the options written on it. In the meantime, we sat there struggling to find anything that wasn't either bacon or cheese - in the end, we ended up going with cake and toast, which wasn't even on the menu.

The drinks we ordered (chai latte and hot chocolate) were both really tasty but a bit too huge - we ended up leaving half of them simply because they were massive.

Overall, we really wanted to like this place but it felt a bit too try-hard in terms of atmosphere and we struggled to find much in the way of varied veggie food. Would possibly try it again but definitely only for drinks and cake.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“I just love this little place......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Plenty of positive things have been said about Sugar Junction and I agree with all of them. It is a cutesy sort of place but I always enjoy what I have here. My mainstay is the fabulous Bacon Butty.... and I then tend to have a piece of one of the home baked cakes. I find the team all really helpful and look great in some of the 50's outfits!! Yes it is busy and sometimes getting a table is difficult but I do feel that SJ is worth the wait.

• Visited July 2013