“Great Clean Modern Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena

Best prices from these 8 sites
Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Goadsby Street off Swan Street, Manchester M4 5AH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great Clean Modern Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for an overnight stay whilst visiting the Christmas Markets. Lovely clean modern hotel in a residential block area, next to the Crown Plaza. Hotel only 5 minutes walk from the Triangle, Arndale, Printworks etc. Asked for a high level room and was on the 6th floor, so views of the city and nice an quiet. Lovely and warm when we arrived in out room. Room had double bed ( a bit soft for me) sofa bed, desk flat screen TV. Great en-suite with large shower and abundant hot water. Basic self service breakfast with hot and cold food, toast, fresh fruit, cerials, pastries so a good start to the day. Plenty of nearby parking and close to railway and tram stations.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level room to get the view of the city and so above any possible street noise. Rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments & am glad you enjoyed your stay,I agree it is is always worth asking for a higher floor as you can benefit from our fantatsic city views
We hope to welcome you back soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

In common with most other reviews found the staff to be helpful and the room lovely and clean with excellent views over the city.The bed was also very comfortable .

The one big let down was the breakfast. Ok so this hotel is not the most expensive but it is not particularly cheap either.

Breakfast is self-service in a soulless room which is best described as a college refectory (complete with signs asking one to return the trays on which you load your food into the tray holder thingy once you had finished your meal) This would be OK in a youth hostel but to be honest I did expect better. It was actually quite a stressful experience jostling with fellow guests for food in a tiny area then having difficulty in finding a seat

It's a shame really - I would return because of all the good things mentioned above but would forgo the breakfast here and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
I was pleased to read your 4 star review and your positive feedback on the team, comfy bed and cleanliness at the hotel. I am sorry that breakfast was a let-down for you.; our free hot breakfast is limited and is a self-service buffet so guests collect their own food and clear their own trays however we do have team members hosting breakfast who point guests in the right direction and manage the queues. I do hope that you stay with us again soon even if you find an alternative breakfast spot
Bury, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Virtually brand new, and built to a standard design familiar across various chains, this is in a perfect location for the city centre attractions. We paid the equivalent of £49 (using Avios) for a Friday night in December. Easy, swift check-in, even though it was busy. Room was perfect - everything we needed for the night. Excellent bed, quiet night with no noise from other residents or roads. And a free (if basic) breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, away from the lifts (we had 414, which was fine)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to review our hotel , I am delighted you rated us 5 stars and I hope we see you again soon
Colne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

this should be very good to excellent review but was let down by poor breakfast quality and how it was set out in a small room off the setting area - it got very busy and it was a struggle to get to things - the hotel itself is in a good location and parking is close and we paid £6 for 24 hours on a weekend - the rooms are of a good standard and have good standard fixtures and fittings only issue was the kettle was on a very small shelf and hard to get too and no mirror over the desk and lighting was very poor -- we had to pay an extra £22 to change the booking to the date in December which took the price to £100 which I feel is a little expensive for a budget hotel - would stay again with a cheaper offers

Room Tip: away from the lift area
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for the feedback on your stay. I am sorry that you found some design aspects poor however I hope this won’t deter you from coming to visit us again in the future
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We arrived at 3pm on a Friday and were swiftly checked in by smiling faces. For the first time ever we were asked if we would like a room key each (which we normally have to ask for ourselves). We asked for a room on the upper floors and were rewarded with the best view available of the city.
The abiding memory of this hotel is how really sparkling clean everything was. It was like new!
We couldnt fault it, nether could our friends who also had a room on the 7th floor.
Great accessibility for the MEN but it was pouring down and so we called a taxi - which took 20 minutes to travel as far as we could have walked in 10 minutes!
The cost at £6.50 was worth it so as to avoid the drenching we would have had. Luckily we allowed an hour before the show began (and we needed all of that). The hotel is hard to find and walking back was a nightmare;12,000 people made the taxi queue hours terribly long. If lost look for the much larger Crown Plaza hotel - (the Holiday Inn Express is behind it up an unadopted road). On return at 11.15pm we found the bar inundated with customers -another queue! We waited for 20 minutes to be served. The bar staff are not able to serve quickly enough to satisfy demand. Hidden away in all the paperwork was the fact that takeaway meals can be ordered and delivered to the reception for guests to collect. We ordered an indian curry and enjoyed it. After a really good nights sleep (must mention the showers which are quality ones) the breakfast was very acceptable (although served in a very tight galley servery - why couldnt the tea and coffee be placed somewhere else more accessible?)
Overall we really rated this place - mainly for the sparkling cleanliness.We will return!

Room Tip: Take some drinks up to the room - saves queueing at the bar. Take some nibbles too or take a takeawa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the positive comments on your stay at the hotel I am pleased you found the hotel well suited for your visit and that the room clenliness was of a high standard I will pass this on to Maria & her team. I am sorry you ahd to wait for your drinks our bar area can get busy afer a concert as you can imagine and we try to plan for this however it usually only lasts about 30 minutes and then it is manageable again. I hope we get to see you again soon
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's but usually stay in the crown plaza when in Manchester but decided to give this one a try since it is new and looks very smart. The room was lovely and big and clean. However after a 5 hour drive I was faced with a 20 minute queue to check in, only one and a half people on check in - one was flitting between the desk and bar. When I got to the desk he just walked off to serve at the bar, no apology, no acknowledgement I was even there. No Priority Club desk to jump the queue but then that shouldn't be needed. When I eventually got served and I mentioned that they should have more people on at the desk I was told that it is always busy at 6.30 cos everyone comes at that time. Well der yeah - do something about it then. 'Premier Wifi' was practically dead and useless. Room a little noisy. Asked for a double and got a twin. No Platinum Priority Club upgrade. I won't return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the hotel , I apologise that the service was slow and that you felt the team were not helpful. We did have a shift that was short staffed due to an unforeseen absence and this is certainly not the norm. The guest service assistants do work between both the bar, reception and breakfast as per Holiday Inn Express standards but I am sorry that they didn't offer any acknowledgement whilst prioritising the queue situation. I appreciate your feedback and will follow it up with my team to prevent issues arising in future
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I arrived after about 15 hours of total travel including layovers. I had sent the hotel email about my early check-in need and they had agreed. In spite of this, when I arrived, the FD person rudely informed me that they don’t have a room available for me and he didn't know when a room would be ready. No friendly greeting, no welcoming smile, just a careless and rude statement. I am a Platinum Priority Club member and almost all hotels worldwide welcome me nicely, but this person who checked me in, who spoke English with an accent, was rude, unhelpful and unfriendly. The hotel was packed like a zoo. It seems that they had a full house due to sports events and they did not care about business travelers who chose the hotel because it was a Holiday Inn. Throughout my stay, I found the staff very unfriendly and unhelping and even rude. I wonder whether they have been trained on Priority Club and to be nice to loyal IHG customers.

Further, the address of this hotel is such that no taxi driver could find it. I was waiting for my ride for 20-30 minutes daily!

This hotel to me, does not meet the Holiday Inn standard of being friendly and caring to business travelers. The lobby is so small; hardly 4 people can sit.

I'm not going back here.

Room Tip: I can't give any tip because I was not given a good room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I was sorry to read you didn't feel welcomed at the hotel and that you were unable to check in early. This is not our usual standard of service and we consistently receive good feedback on our Priority Club member recognition. I would like to investigate this further so please feel free to contact me directly with more details to that I can look at re training if needed for individuals. Regarding the taxi service we have been open for just over a year now and we have used a local company since opening we have a Freephone at reception and also the team will call taxis for you. They know where we are as we use them for over 20 jobs a day and they are quick to arrive for our guests. I am unsure which firm you used and if you did so privately but I can assure you it is rare for the firm we use to be longer than 10 minutes from calling to arriving at reception even in peak times. Once again I apologise if you felt the hotel was of a low standard and I hope that I can get more detail to follow this up with the team.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre-MEN Arena? Share your experiences!