“Overnight stay - was OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 Portland Street, Manchester M1 4GX, England   |
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay - was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Friendly staff on check-in. Got to the room which was ok; nothing special but had everything you needed, i.e bed, toilet, shower, kettle. We stayed in room 111 which is on the first level and looks out onto the main road (Portland Street). The windows did keep out most of the street noise but was woken during the night from people walking past and shouting. The main problem was how thin the walls were and the noise coming from the corridors above. A group of girls came back to their room at about midnight and they were 2 rooms down from ours and we could hear them talking and laughing!! The noise above; well, everybody walking along the corridor must have been heavy footed or it was just flooring 'cos I thought they were going to come through the ceiling!.

All in all would I stay again? Thought it was a bit overpriced at £56 so probably not!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road, if not one available ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisManchester, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay however I apologise for noise you experienced during your stay.

Please look out for our special promotional rates on our website for your future bookings as Accor offers most of the time very competitive rates especially in the city centre.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Clare Doyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Tarleton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

One benefit of a brand like Ibis is you know it is a good value option with clean and comfortable rooms. The Manchester Centre branch was no different.

However, I did find it odd that I had to fill in a registration form (manually) when I checked in as the hotel should already have had all of my contact details as I booked on-line via the Accor site as a registered user. My expectation is for a printed registration form where I just check my details are correct. Perhaps one economy too far.

Apart from that small niggle we enjoyed our stay - particularly the free entertainment watching our fellow guests trying to access the hotel after their evening out. Not sure why they found it so difficult to swipe your room card to open the door.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you your feedback. I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the our levels of cleaningness and how comfortable your stay was with us.

In regards to our booking in procedures we are in process off updating our system to automatically provide a registration card with the guests detail.This will be less time consuming for both hotel and guest.

Once again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to welcome you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street again very soon.

Clare Doyle
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

when we arrived room had loose toilet seat and hardly draining sink. Reception happily moved us to another room, also quieter one at rear (though double-glazing insulates well but like to open the window). Sat in the bar (drinks not over-priced) enjoying good conversation til the early hours. Slept well on comfortable bed. Room functional but well-equipped and comfortable. Good shower.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you experienced a problem with your room but am pleased our team were able to offer you an alternative room. I was delighted that you had a great night sleep on our new comfortable beds and had an enjoyable shower..

We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street again very soon.

Kind Regards, Ioannis Koletakis
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Horrible room, dripping air con all night, bathroom door practically falling off. Complained next day after no sleep to a man on the desk who was as miserable as sin and he told me and my boyfriend that the manager was busy and that we should leave our number so he could contact us for a refund. Never heard anything. Rubbish staff, rubbish rooms, will NOT be returning!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lauren,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester City Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies

I have personally spoken to our Reception Manager and Head Housekeeper regarding your experience and they are sincerely sorry for allowing this to happen. As I am sure you are aware, these are not our usual standards and I can assure you action has been taken to ensure they are not repeated.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Ibis Manchester City Centre and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Ioannis Koletakis
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

No frills but a very comfy bed and a good night's sleep. Friendly staff.

For less than £50 per night I was smack in the middle of Manchester. For a weekday trip to do a course this was very very good value. Sure the bathroom isn't plush, and the restaurant is a bit "halls of residence" but you get what you pay for. Actually that's a bit unfair, as I've stayed in far more expensive places that were far less comfortable and clean and moreover had the cheek to charge for basic Wi-Fi.

For a 1 night stay it's absolutely fine. Longer and you might need more comforts.

"Job done" and thumbs up to staff who can remain friendly at 6am or at 10pm when trying to man the front desk and serve a rabble at the bar.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IbisManchester, Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your stay in ibis Manchester Portland Street. It is always a pleasure for our team to read that our commitment to customer care is appreciated. Furthermore, I am delighted that you had the chance to experience such a good night sleep due to our new innovative bedding designed by the ibis Research Dept.

Once again, thank you very much for your nice words and we are looking forward to welcoming you at the ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street on your next visit.

Yours sincerely,
Jeremy Vrancken
Assistant General Manager
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

+ The hotel was clean, relatively modern, the rooms were nice, the bed was comfy, good double glazing and good location.
- As a frequent traveller was just about to sign up and pay for their VIP club which gives good discounts on all your visits throughout the world when the silly girl on reception decided to implement the charge to look after your bags after check out. Not huge money but shows how little they care about customer service and keeping loyal customers.
Will go where they care if you come back or not!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street. I am delighted to read your comment about our high standards of cleanliness in the hotel. Indeed, we are taking a primary prime in ensuring that the hotel and the rooms are spotless. Furthermore, I am pleased that you had the chance to experience such a good night sleep due to our new innovative bedding designed by the ibis Research Dept.
In the meantime, I was very sad that we have not been able to demonstrate to you how much we care about our guests. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. However, we indeed charge £2.00 for the luggage service after check out as per our company policy.
Once again we appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again at ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,
Jeremy Vrancken
Assistant General Manager

Been to Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street? Share your experiences!