“Woooow” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 Portland Street, Manchester M1 4GX, England   |
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Woooow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hotel as I said before looked fro
Outside amazing but as I checked in I was in a highest floor n lift was not working so I had to ri. Up and down during the night which was annoying the hotel manager at that time was very elofuk he did explain why the lifts do not wrk but when next morning I went downstairs ad said I she. Asked cr wake up all but obviously it would not happened cos in my room the phone was not working and the lifts where not working I left my boyfriend in a room cos he was sleeping and u went downstaires from 4floor to ground to asked all my things and also say to wake me up even the phone and lift do not work I was not making a big thing but thn u said cabbage ask housekeeper for some new towels but In stead she gave me towels and said they for you I was not disappointed but why I was upset cos I had to carry them upstartes as my self working in hotel I know how things work and I was just play for a fool I did not care as much my boyfriend did and as far as I know no one deat with us an I would recommend this hotel to no one I. Future juts because how they he dealt with me and my boyfriend by doing nothing not even talking tht they did jt let my boyfriend in at the first which was disappointing I understand he is not white but he could start court against being descrimineiting to other colour then rather white. Sorry I write this but it true.

Room Tip: They said if u want any thing u come dOwn states and get ad that times also lifts was hot working so...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced with our lifts brake down and especially with your phones not working at the same time.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand your comments in regards to your boyfriend been discriminated, however please be reassured that this can not be right as we are such a multicultural team with members from many different ethnic backgrounds.

Nevertheless, I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this further and would appreciate if you were to contact me either by email on or telephone me on.
Yours sincerely,

Ioannis Koletakis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
High Peak Derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on my birthday, as my daughter and I were going to see thew lion king and it was a really close hotel without the price tag of the Palace Hotel.
First impressions we not good. We were told in no uncertain terms that booking in was at 2pm - it was 1.25pm at the time. We were asked to go away and come back. I've never had this when turning up early to book in. I did manage to leave my luggage after explaining that was what we wanted to do. I felt the attitude was officious and rude. Damage was done.
After the theatre we went back to the hotel and stayed in the room, which was ok, but very basic. Not even a picture to cheer up the walls. The bathroom is a shower pod, sink and loo in the bedroom so that was noisy, although I rather liked it. It was all plastic and quirky. The shower gel dispenser didn't work and I had to take it off the wall to get anything out, normally I wouldn't bother, but I'd forgotten my shampoo.
We could hear the noise of music - a club or bar somewhere nearby over the noise of the TV in the room. My daughter actually checked to see if we'd left the window open it was that noisy.
When the TV was off and we were trying to get to sleep it was nearly impossible. The cars honking horns were as bad - until 4 in the morning. I know that's not the hotels fault but really some sort of double glazing is needed to reduce the outside noise.
I'm glad we'd already cancelled breakfast as we could just get up and go. We left exhausted.
I gave a review to Ibis, and they were most apologetic, but when you've had a rotten time somewhere, you'll never go back, and that's how I feel about the Ibis. I stay in Manchester a lot, and we have fun trying out the different hotels. Most have had good reviews, this hasn't so there are plenty of other places to stay. On the upside it wasn't as expensive as most, so I suppose you do get what you pay for!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have personally spoken to our Reception Manager regarding your experience and she is sincerely sorry for allowing this to happen. As I am sure you are aware, these are not our usual standards and I can assure you action has been taken to ensure they are not repeated.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give the hotel your valuable feedback and trusting that with the actions documented above we will have the pleasure of your company at Ibis Manchester Centre again very soon.

Yours sincerely,

Ioannis Koletakis
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

parking is a little walk away; location of hotel very good; everything in walking distance; front of house staff very friendly and helpful; temperature in room warm and difficult to change without opening the window, which then gives you a lot of traffic noise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Ibis Manchester Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As budget hotels go, first impressions were ok. Modern reception/bar area. Staff were pleasant and welcoming enough. Very basic functional room. Good shower capsule. Comfortable bed. If you want a bed for the night, and nothing else, then this place does the job, but don't expect any luxuries or anything else. I had major problems connecting to the in-house wifi, eventually had to pay online and they charged me twice!!! Corridors desperately need painting and carpets cleaned - it did look like an youth hostel. Breakfast was good. Convenient for all transport links. If you're on a tight budget, this is fine. I would stay here again, but hoping there would be higher standard rooms available.

Room Tip: Comfortable, convenient, central
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I can confirm that we are currently looking to supply free wifi in the hotel and hope to have this in place very soon. We are also currently having ongoing refurbishment to update rooms. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Been to Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street? Share your experiences!