“okay, but bit expensive for what is on offer” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel

You added ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Charles Street | Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DG, England (Formerly Ibis Manchester Charles Street Hotel)   |
Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
The Hague, The Netherlands
“okay, but bit expensive for what is on offer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

In stayed in The Ibis Charles Street in Manchester for three nights from June 12 until June 15. It is a very basic place to stay with a small bedroom and a small bathroom. However the double bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean. When I checked in, they gave me a room on the third floor. But immediately after entering the room, I noticed that one of the curtains wasn't attached to the ceiling, but was lying on the floor. A bit odd since housekeeping had just finished in the room and I would have thought that they would have reported the problem and dealt with it. After I phoned reception a member of staff told me that there was no mantainance personal because it was Saturday. That is a bit strange in a big hotel. With the right tools, even I would have solved the little problem within minutes. The man at the desk then asked me if sleeping without a curtain would be a problem. Well, in the middle of June when the sun rises very early, daylight in my eyes before 5 am will be a bit of a problem when trying to sleep, so I told him that the missing curtain was a problem. I was then moved to a new room (208) that was alright. Housekeeping wasn't always very smart. I had to put the tray on my bed, so that they would notice that they had to add new tea bags and after the first night they took away the half used soap bar from the bathroom (a bit of a waste), but didn't replace it with a new bar. The hotel is less then a 15 minute walk from the shopping centre and there are nice pubs nearby. Getting around in Manchester is easy. The prices the Ibis Hotel in Charles Street charges (from GBP58 to GBP69 for a small room a night excluding breakfast) are high for a two star basic hotel. I didn't bother to pay an extra GBP 6.95 for breakfast in the hotel, since there was a Wetherspoon close by in Princes Street that has an excellent breakfast menu for far less. I doubted whether to give this hotel a two of a three star review because the price is to high for the services offered, but because the room was clean and the bed very comfortable and this is important to me, I will be generous and make it three.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
H3143, General Manager at ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Manchester Charles St. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay in Manchester, and we have noted your comments about maintenance and guest supplies, which we are addressing.

Katie McKune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Booked the Ibis Charles Street for my holiday with my husband. Nice clean hotel being 15mins walk from the Piccadily station and also Market Street.

Didnit realize it was next to a discotheque until on the day itself but not noisy at all.

Staffs were really great- helpful and very polite.

Good for travellers on a budget.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
H3143, General Manager at ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Ibis Manchester Charles Street, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Pleasant enough budget hotel in staggering distance of the nightlife. Room clean with a decent bathroom. The guests seemed to be mostly there on boozy weekends though so were we so we weren't bothered by the stag and hen nights also staying there! Avoid if you're looking for a romantic getaway though...

At £7 the breakfast is overpriced but try the pub round the corner (turn right when you come out the door, next to the car park). Decent fry-ups and super cheap

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Manchester Charles Street, and I hope to see you on your next trip.

LukewarmCatastrophe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

I'm a fairly new user of the Ibis chain. I stayed in them a few times in Europe last year and thought they were great and have recently discovered the UK equivalents.

Normally I go for Travelodge/Premier Inn as they seem to have the cheapest deals (and price is normally my main motivation for my hotel stays - I'm a big concert goer and generally only require a bed for the night and a shower, not much more) but in this instance, Ibis undercut both of these chains by quite a fair bit. That being said, I still ended up paying over £45 a night which is a lot more than what I'm used to for a budget hotel although it was a Friday/Saturday night so perhaps that's the going rate.

I was in Manchester for a concert at the Academy 1 venue on Oxford Road (near the University). This hotel was reasonably well located for the venue (about a 10-15 minute walk down the road) and a similar distance from Piccadilly Railway station. This area is very well serviced however by regular buses which run late into the night, and I'm sure a taxi wouldn't cost much, but as we are young, fit people, we were happy to trundle our suitcases along and save a bit of money! Oxford Road being a student area has plenty of take-aways/off licenses and all the other useful businesses you'd want nearby if you were staying in a hotel. Canal Street is also just around the corner, so if that's your vibe, this hotel is perfect.

I reviewed the Ibis Leeds a couple of months ago and I don't really have more to add - the bath towels are still far too small for adult human beings, but everything was clean, quiet, comfortable, safe and the staff were polite (had minimum interaction with them but I suppose this is a good thing!)

Would happily stay here again if we got a good deal.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Manchester. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Manchester Charles St in the future.

Lisalou90
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

Me and my friends came to stay here for the night for a Lily Allen concert. We arrived by Train From Liverpool so took a while to find the hotel so i would recommend a taxi just to get here as we got lost! The staff were ever so nice and told us they had a lovely breakfast so we added this to our booking for £6/7 extra, they also arranged taxis and recommendations. We were very close to the centre so we shopped and had a lovely meal out before we returned to go out. The hotel was locked during the night but night staff opened the door as they seen us waiting our return! The bed was possibly the most comfy bed i have slept on! lovely. the rooms were lovely and neat and had plenty of storage for a couple of nights stay. however we were very disappointed to find out the breakfast we paid for was actually continental and we were really looking forward to a big fat buffet munch! However this hotel was fab and would deffo return back in the future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Charles Street, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

got this room for a cheaper price by booking online (not available if requested over the phone!) so it was ok cost wise.
the hotel is good central location (Charles Street) but is noisy due to very close proximity to train lines and Mancunian Way M-way/ringroad.
my room smeeled musty when i forst entered and i found someone elses long hairs in my bed when i pulled back the duvet to go to bed! the pillow also had a couple of blood spot stains on!!
the room was plenty big enough and adequate for the amount of time spent in there.
the breakfast cost £7 extra and wasn't great. there was a selection of cereals, rolls, fruit (including some very wrinkled apples!) and a hot selection which wasn't great. i probbaly wouldn't recomend the breaksfast for cost as you could go out and get something better in city centre for less!
ok as a base if on a night out in manchester where you won't be in your room much and intend to go out partying but not the best value for money especially if paying the standard room rate!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Manchester Charles St. I’m glad that you had a good stay with us and we have noted your comments about cleanliness in your room which we have since addressed. Please feel free to let us know immediately if you have any concerns during your stay in the future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Not a good Ibis this. The rooms at the Ibis are all the same so not much to comment on there but I dont like the pod of the bathroom.

This hotel is very near a club and this is essentially the problem in that I was woken at 2am by noise which seemed to go on for hours of people leaving. I was on the sixth floor of seven and it was a Wednesday night......I complained in the morning and the suggestion was that I could have changed room but its not really what you feel like doing at 2am.

Be aware people ask for a quiet room or my suggestion, another hotel .

Breakfast is pretty poor I think, nothing compared ot what you get at a Premier Inn. Stale bread and cereal, watered down juice. All in all not good I am afraid.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel? Share your experiences!