“Not a chance at 5 stars... kudos for being open late.” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tandoori Royale
684 Burnage Lane | Burnage,, Manchester M19 1, England (Manchester City Centre)
(0161) 432 0930
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #546 of 1,640 restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manchester City Centre
moglibaloo
“Not a chance at 5 stars... kudos for being open late.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

What I liked about Tandoori Royale is their extended dining hours ... They are open until 12:30 in the morning. So if you have a midnight curry craving, this place will be open. My big issue with this restaurant is the naan bread. It simply was made unlike any Indian restaurant I have eaten at: either in India, Hong Kong, Singapore, or the USA. The naan was 1.5 inches thick ... it was flavorless and doughy. I queried the waiter, and he said this is how their recipe is, and is how it is in all of the UK. I will admit this is my first Indian restaurant in the UK in years, but it was simply a big disappointment to me and my guests. We ordered 4 expecting the normal thickness, and we had 3.5 left uneaten by the end. I ordered Chx Tikka Masala which was pretty nice, but I felt the Masala sauce was very sweet ... too sweet. I thought i tasted (more like felt between my teeth) the granules of poured sugar in the sauce.

We had some vegetarian dishes which were decent, and the yogurt beverage was very nice.

They also hit a peeve of mine which is serving warm soft drinks poured over ice which is guaranteed to water the taste, and drive the fizz out of the drink. It is so predictable for anyone, that i find the practice such poor form bordering on demonstrating a simple careless attitude toward the customer and serving a quality drink. Not to over-emphasize a watered down, flat drink, but why cant they get this right? they were good about finding me a pre-chilled diet coke in the end.

The whole meal for 3 people was about 65 pounds which I felt didnt represent value for taste or money....

The service was so so. It has been my experience that most Indian restaurant service levels are above the mean for other types of restaurants ... maybe because they have more staff usually, but this time around it seemed i was calling the single waiter over for service. it was late, he was flying solo on the floor, but we were the only diners at the time.

I read the other reviews and I just didnt have the same experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Onion barjis are a must!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

The food is great here! The manager is great and so is the owner Bob! They all are lovely And I have been going for over 35 years I have some memories with the staff and the food is fantastic would recommend!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always consistently Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Since my last review I have been to and reviewed a number of Indian restaurants, more recently the Sitara in Ledbury which was great. However I always look forward to returning home and my weekly visit to TR. food has been consistently good for 30 years and the service matches the food. Friendly and helpful. Just a brilliant place to eat.

• Visited May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Over a years worth of curries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have been visiting TR for over a year now on a weekly basis and I still have not had a bad curry,
even had my xmas lunch here with the family and food gets better each time I visit.
Excellent service from the guys who run the restaurant aswell
Will be continuing my weekly visits for a long time to come.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

For any avid fan of Indian cuisine the Tandoori Royale is an absolute must. The Tandoori Royale is a diamond in the rough; its location (Burnage) leaves a lot to be desired, however once you step inside you witness a complete juxtaposition. The dimmed lighting and subtle decorations (and not to mention soundtrack) creates what feels like an authentic Indian atmosphere.

The food here is great, in fact the Tandoori is possibly my favourite Indian restaurant and I’m far from being a stranger on the Curry Mile in Rusholme. I highly recommend the Tandoori Royale to anyone who wants to enjoy a beautiful Indian meal in a quiet, pleasant and welcoming environment, and if you prefer a take away I would recommend the Tandoori chicken, you can’t go wrong!

• Visited October 2011