“A compact gallery with a good cafe. Satisfaction depends on current exhibitions.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Whitworth Art Gallery

Whitworth Art Gallery
University of Manchester | Oxford Road, Manchester M15 6ER, England (Chorlton)
+44 161 275 7450
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 81 Attractions in Manchester
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Whitworth Art Gallery is part of the University of Manchester. It is home to some of the UK's finest collections of art and design including modern and historic fine art, prints, textiles and a rare collection of wallpapers.
Stockport, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visit the Whitworth most years, usually to see an exhibition by an artist we admire. In this case, John Piper, whose work from his Snowdonia years left a strong impression, helped by the background information and books etc also on display.
On most visits the concurrent exhibitions have been too avant garde for a simple man like me, who can't see the Emperor's new clothes, but the setting is attractive, on the edge of a large city park. The gallery have admirable green policies, and their new extension will be built in keeping with the surroundings, we are assured.
On this visit we arrived at opening time, 10am, and took advantage of the cafe's breakfast offer which was good value for money. The menu has a wide range of breakfast, lunch or snack options at reasonable prices, and you sit at tables in the marble-columned entrance hall, which is better than most gallery cafes.
There is a small shop stocking the usual books, prints, craft items and some art materials.

Visited March 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Hit and miss (but more misses!)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I love Art galleries, but the Whitworth leaves me a little cold.. The gallery is fairly small (the rooms are quite large, but there are limited works on display). It's a rather dark gallery, and, to be honest, I can find it rather depressing! There are often kids activities on, which can be distracting if you're not using them. I keep going back,in the hope that things will have got better, but over many years have only really seen a couple of exhibitions which have inspired me. The good ones were fabulous, but they have few and far between. An hour tops will do here. The highlight of my visit is always a drink in the fab cafe, I feel like I need a treat after enduring a disappointing gallery.

Visited March 2013
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Boring, unless you are extremely arty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The exhibitions were a bit strange and you need an abstract view to appreciate most of it. There were bits of what I call real art which were worth seeing

Visited February 2013
manchester
“The best family friendly Gallery!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We are really enjoying every our visit to the Gallery. People there are just happy to help you, always smiling and very friendly. They do really great activities for kids of any age. Do visit Withoworth Art Gallery!

Visited February 2013
Manchester
“Open to the general public?!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I visited the museum the other day during one of the kids' events and was disgusted by the gnashing of teeth and racket produced by the middle-aged visitors who seemed intent on ruining our day. All I could hear was them moaning on about the fact that the museum had the gall to allow people of all ages into the building. I could bearly hear my own child's tantrum over the tuttting and disgruntled muttering.

These issues are entirely the museum's fault, I believe. Nothing at all to do with my ridiculous expectations and general bitterness and misanthropy. A free attraction that is inclusive and educational? That clearly lists a timetable of events to ensure wouldbe visitors are aware of what to expect on any given day they chose to visit? Be careful what you wish for, you may even encounter other members of the public! A two star review is entirely justified.