“2nd review - great food, average service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“2nd review - great food, average service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been to HSH many times as it's a great quirky place to take friends especially if they're not from Manchester.

I have to say, their food is extremely good and that can be the only reason this place does so well. Every single time I've been the service has been incredibly average! I often feel like we're an inconvenience and on every occasion I've been - something has been missed from my order. The wait for drinks is always longer than the wait for food! It frustrates me, not enough yet to not go back, but I am getting fed up. Maybe I'll give it one more chance! After all, their cakes are sooooo good! Seems such a shame :(

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rowlands Gill, England, United Kingdom
“Miles better than a full english”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Absolutely charming and beautiful staff, delicious and varied choice of food well cooked and prettily presented. cosy, retro, joyful setting, boho/homey blend of visuals with comfy and welcoming atmosphere. All cakes yummy, great view for people watching if you choose the window but best of all, really not to be missed, I mean don't go there and not try one - you would be certifiable I promise, ORDER A DESERT COCKTAIL, Christ on a bike, I can guarantee you will be so impressed/delighted/satisfied that you will want to try another, well, all I can say is DO!

“Awesome little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing and you would be making a mistake not to visit it. The food is amazing and the milkshakes best I have had in a long time. The takeaway cake was awesome as well. Keep up the good work guys will be back soon...

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Without doubt the best casual eatery in Manchester!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

For starters, this picture on TripAdvisor really doesn't do this place justice.
HSH is a casual restaurant & bar in Manchester trendy Northern Quarter. The lay out lends itself to an American diner with decor to suit. The atmosphere is befitting also.
But it's the food that makes this place great. Plentiful & tasty. Not gourmet, but well made & really nice. We've been numerous times & the food is fantastic. Price wise, it's decent. Around £8.50 for the Pulled Pork platter, which is stunning, and this is the dearest on the menu.
Certainly recommended for casual dining.
Only downside is toilets being next to a couple of tables where people are eating. We wouldn't sit there & would suggest a change.
But, that aside, a brilliant eatery, a definite place to eat in Manchester

England
“Nice food in a nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I went here for Saturday lunch at around noon. We got a table straight away but not long after people began to queue. The venue isn't that big but has atmosphere. I ordered the waffles and my friend ordered a sandwich both of which arrived at our table only a short time after ordering and were delicious. We had some of the teas on offer which were enjoyable the only thing i would say is that I felt rushed here to go soon after my food so that they could re occupy the table. I have been to a few other cafes in the northern quarter where we have been able to sit and relax drinking teas after our food.

• Visited January 2013