“Great for a night out!” 3 of 5 stars

Mitre Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-3 Cathedral Gates, Manchester M3 1SW, England   |
Ranked #62 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Ruthin, Wales, United Kingdom
“Great for a night out!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Couldn't wish for a more central hotel. Fab having a room overlooking the cathedral, the square and selfridges, we people watched whilst getting ready for night out!
Quirky old building with narrow corridors, lots of steep stairs and creaky floors, but all adds to the experience!
Perhaps not the best choice for families/elderly but great for couples and friends who want to come and shop, eat and experience Manchester nightlife.
Room was nicely decorated, comfortable beds and large bathroom. All perfectly adequate. The staff were really friendly.
Ok this is not luxury, but for £79 for 3 people you can't argue with that.
I'd book again and ask for the same room, number 23.

Room Tip: Ring and ask for a room with a good view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, the age of the hotel and its quirkiness is what makes us stand out from the rest, I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully you will return in the near future thank you again for your kind words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

once again went to the mitre hotel for our friends birthday celebration we had a brilliant weekend we were greeted by the lovely staff nothing is too much trouble.from the young man who took our cases upstairs to the lovely receptionist.we have stayed here loads of times and have loved it every time.we will be coming back had a lovely meal at the avalche restaurant

Room Tip: we had room 23 lovely view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thanks for your review, we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and have returned . We will look forward to seeing you again in the near future, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review which I will pass on to our staff.
Douglas, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stated a city view in reality we had a brick wall and drains,the noise was all night and the smell was for most of the day.
A double bed that related to a block of straw that made a cracking noise even when we moved a leg.
There was no wifi available in the room as stated.
There was no telephone as stated.
The room was so hot as it had no air con,this was not stated but we did ask for a fan as the temperature was very high and was told they don't have them. Our stay was very hot very uncomfortable very smelly very noisy and just all round unexpected as all our other bookings with .......... have been great,BUT NOT THIS!!!
The sink was in the hallway not in the bathroom as you would expect.

Room Tip: Don't book here if you do avoid room 17!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review, the hotel is under new ownership and is in the process of renovation, we have taken your points on board and are currently dealing with the wifi issue in the rooms, an engineer has been informed and we are currently awaiting a visit from the support team to rectify the problem.The hot weather caught us of guard and we have now purchased some fans for the rooms. Thank you for your valid points we appreciate all feedback as your opinion is very important to us as there is always room for improvement.
Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel has some great things going for it: fantastic location, gorgeous views, and very, very helpful and friendly staff. However, those things are somewhat ruined by the condition of the rooms. At the great prices offered at this location, the Ikea furniture and the lack of a decent cupboard can be overlooked.
What is less easy to ignore is the obvious lack of cleaning in many places, the water stains in the carpet and the general shoddy state of the rooms (see pictures). Combined with a general lack of wifi accessibility on one side of the hotel, that is what gives a low average rating. So please take out the mould remover, hire some proper plumbers and carpenters, and give this place the appeal it deserves.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the side of the cathedral for a nice view and more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I booked this hotel last minute for an overnight business trip and got the last available room in the hotel - the 3 bed family room on the top floor. The room had no ensuite, which was made plain when I booked, so I knew what to expect. I was also aware there was no lift and I am a 60 year old with a wheelie full of books to take to my book launch. However, none of this mattered, as I was staying in a hotel which I recalled from my youth as a 'posh' Manchester hotel - 'used to come here for after work drinks when in my 20s.

The Mitre nowadays is a modest but very comfortable city centre hotel. The rooms and furniture have undoubtedly seen better days but I was most impressed with the cleanliness of the place. The bedding was crisp, white and immaculate and the faded, worn carpet well vaccuumed. In fact the cleaning staff stopped by to enquire if I needed any further soap, towels etc and I congratulated these lovely, friendly ladies on the splendid job they do. Note to manager: those angels are worth a pay rise.

The absence of a lift proved to be a very minor inconvenience as the stairs comprise short flights and there are only 4 floors. If I managed, others will. The lack of an ensuite too was not a problem, as there were 2 bathrooms right outside my door and, even though the hotel was full, I found both of them vacant whenever I needed them. They were fairly basic shower rooms, but everything worked OK.

I was on the top floor and had a brilliant view of the city (albeit when I perched on a chair). I paid the princely sum of £49 for the room and consider this amazing value for a city centre hotel in the summer season. I would most certainly stay here again. A previous reviewer complained there was not left luggage facility, but the reception staff will willingly keep an eye on your luggage at the reception desk. I had forgotten the friendliness of my fellow Mancunians until I met the friendly chap on reception.

From the Mitre, you can walk to everywhere in the city you may wish to go. There is a first class Marks & Spencer close by (with a cafe if you like to breakfast out), also Harvey Nichols etc; the cathedral is just opposite and the ancient building known as 'The Shambles' is also across the yard. What I like best about the Mitre is that it is a safe and comfortable place for a woman to stay when travelling alone. Itmay not have retained the poshness I recall from 40 years ago, but it offers great value in a great location and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early for a room on a lower floor. Leave a tip for the cleaners.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review it gives us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us,I will personally thank our house keeping team for all their hard work and a thank you on your behalf. I hope you still have fond memories of the mitre and once again thank you for your kind words we appreciate it .
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Positive points
• Excellent location in center of town.

• Really friendly staff especially the woman on reception on Friday.

• Residents bar open until 5AM.

• Buffet style breakfast good value at £5 with plenty of choice.

• Pleasantly surprised at the size of the room.

• Massive TV.

Let downs

• Some places in need of renovation and decoration ( this is happening in areas so not a major issue).

• Complementary papers would be nice with breakfast.

• Noisy cathedral bells on Sunday morning ( hardly the hotels fault!)

I would recommend this hotel as the staff are friendly, the location is excellent.

Old building with so much more character than your run of the mill budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, our team work hard towards customer service and it is good to know you found them really friendly. The hotel is under new ownership and is in the process of refurbishment, both bars and eating areas have been renovated and the rooms are next on the agenda. Some of the rooms have had work done but as you can appreciate we are a hotel in the heart of Manchester and are always very busy, we hope to complete the rooms in the very near future. Thank you for taking the time to write some very valid points, we welcome all feedback good or bad as your opinion is important to us as we strive to make our guests stay as pleasurable as we can
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

If your after a great deal, quirky rooms, comfortable beds and very very attentive staff that smile and make you feel at home then the mitre hotel is the place to go. We stayed in room 6 which faces the cathedral and the view was stunning. Mark Debbie and the other staff thanks for a great stay and you made our anniversary.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Mitre Hotel? Share your experiences!