“ideally situated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
ne england
“ideally situated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was our first visit to the Mitre hotel, a one night stay.
To be fair we got this at a reduced rate with free breakfasts, the room we had was number 15 which looked out onto Harvey Nicks store, and was very noisey early morning.
As per some of the other reports the floor boards were creaky and the corridors to the rooms were
like a warren. The floor in our room was on a slope and even if I had not had a drink or two you
would have felt you had.
Food in the hotel was good and reasonably priced.
Would I stay again overall yes I would

Room Tip: to aviod the early morning racket ask for a Cathedral faceing room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at the Mitre Hotel over this weekend just gone (15th of December) as we were in Manchester meeting up with friends. Being the Christmas period, all of the hotels were busy so when we managed to find two rooms going at the Mitre, we jumped at the chance to get booked into a city centre hotel for the night. Arriving at the hotel, the entrance is concealed 'around the back' as it were, opposite the Cathedral. The only downside to this is if you approach from the city centre, it is easy to walk past without noticing it there! The other downside was the number of smokers hanging around outside the hotel door meaning we had to walk through them to get in.

The reception to the hotel is located on the first floor and is decorated in an interesting fashion, old meets new (much the same as the rest of the hotel) where ever you look but it's comfy, cozy, and the staff are friendly. Checking in was easy and we were informed about the breakfast deal (we booked the day before so got it for £3 per person) before being given our keys and told where our room was.

The journey to the room was an adventure in itself, walking down the narrow, sloping corridors and along the creaking floors - it's an old building so is to be expected, and in all, they've made the best of the old place.

Room wise, we were in room 19 and found it comfortable and adequately equipped. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room as well as a TV (although the remote was stapled to the unit so did not reach back to the bed) and a bathroom. The room was however showing signs of age, with a hole in the pillow case and cobwebs on the walls - but in a building as old as the hotel, it added a kind of rustic charm. The bed was comfy and the duvet soft so in all, the night was a comfortable one for the most part.

Breakfast the next day was done in a buffet style and again, ticked all of the boxes, setting us up for our journey back to Cornwall after leaving.

There were downsides to the hotel - firstly the shower in the room which was more of a light trickle - I attempted to shower in the morning but ended up using the sink as it was faster. Secondly, the floors in the hotel all creak when people walk on them, and the walls are very thin - meaning when a party came back at about 3am I heard everything that was going on and struggled to get back to sleep after the disturbance. Some of the functional areas of the hotel could have done with a clean (downstairs toilets and dining room floor which resulted in chewing gum on my shoe) and the rooms are showing signs of age.

In all, for £69 a night you get what you pay for - a comfy bed, good service, and a nice breakfast. Sure there are improvements which could be made, but for a one night stop it doesn't overly matter!

Room Tip: Avoid the back rooms - the kitchen fans kick on frequently during the night and offer an interesting...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to book a 1 night stay at the Mitre so we could visit a couple of museums and then do some Christmas shopping at the Arndale Centre and Christmas markets. The location was brilliant - you could see the shopping centre and markets from the window so everything was within easy walking distance, including Piccadilly train station which was 10 mins walk. We also had a lovely view of the cathedral. However, when we arrived at the hotel there were bouncers on the door and a number of rowdy people outside - this was at 4.30pm. I had to go and ask one of the doormen where the hotel entrance was and he informed me it was round the back. It wasn't very well signposted but I was just glad that we didn't have to fight our way through the crowds!
We stayed in room 20. The decor was quite nice but needs a bit of updating. We had to constantly adjust the taps to keep the shower at a decent temperature and even then it was only lukewarm. There was a function on downstairs and music was blaring until past midnight which made it difficult to sleep.
On the plus side there was tea and coffee making facilities in the room and they provided plenty of milks, teabags and sugars considering we were only there one night. The receptionist was helpful and allowed us to leave our bags in the hotel while we went shopping on our last day for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to avoid the noisy bar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you want to stay in a low to medium budget hotel, that is great value for money and right in the center of Manchester, then you can't go wrong with The Mitre Hotel.

When my sister and I arrived (twin room booked on the top floor), the public bar was very busy, plus there was a private function going on and we had to weave our way around a 'probably drunk' patron sitting on the stairs, but we got our keys from the friendly receptionist without any hassle, and after negotiating a couple of flights of stairs and getting to the room, we found that the noise from the bar pretty much diminished.

When we got back from the show that we had booked to see (War of The Worlds - highly recommend it!!!), we headed to the residents bar where the staff were really friendly and attentive.

Going to bed, the beds were a little too firm for my personal liking, but my Sister slept like a log!

Breakfast the next morning was okay, nothing really excelled but it included all the usual items that you would expect plus cold meats and cheese. They could do with some refinement in their coffee selection as that was pretty average. A coffee machine, delivering latte or alternatives would be a great addition.

From what I learned from my stay last night, The Mitre was purchased a couple of months ago and they are undergoing a complete revamp with plans to make it more of a
'boutique hotel' and and you could certainly see evidence that this is well under way in terms
of painting, but I would hate to think that this might see a price hike, as this place is a hidden gem !

Just getting up this morning, and being right next to the Arndale Centre and the Xmas markets was a massive bonus.

Will happily stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Apart from the flight of stairs we had to climb (with our suitcases which weren't the easiest things to do), our stay at Mitre Hotel was wonderful. A clean, spacious hotel room with a huge TV, kettle, tea/coffee provided w a picturesque view of the Manchester cathedral. We lived on the floor above the reception. Staff were friendly and place was well decorated for Xmas. Didn't manage to try the food at the hotel but from the crowd it looked pretty good.

Location is EXCELLENT. Right next to places like Topshop, Zara & Harvey Nicholas. The Victorian exterior's lovely too.

Do note that they provide hair dryers but with a £20 deposit (which means it's actually free!) only con is that the shower was a tad bit cold even tho the heater was on.

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good stay w a good location.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am not sure what the fuss is all about - for the price I paid which was around £28 for the night, the place is an absolute bargain for the location. Slap in the middle of Manchester - nice location and surrounded by shopping areas.

Staff was friendly, food was good for the price and above all i found the place safe.

My sliding bathroom door wouldn't work however - which didn't matter much for the real short time i was in my room. Also there is free wifi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It's important to bear in mind what you are paying for the best possible location in Central Manchester before leaving negative reviews. I am from Manchester and now return as a visitor and have never stayed here before, opting for the reassurance of a bland standard format of certain budget chain hotels.
However this weekend, one of the busiest of the whole year I could find nothing for less than £90. The Mitre was less than half that so I booked, and worried.
The negatives , some bits of the property are a bit shabby, the stairwells and corridors in particular. The shower room was a bit tired with 70s tiling and a bit of a dribbly shower. The TV Aerial had been pulled off but a bit of fiddling and I had a nice clear picture. These are not the kind of things that make me rant but I appreciate this would ruin trips for some, we're all different.
The positives, great friendly staff, wonky and creaky floors (love the character personally), fairly large room, spotlessly clean bedding and towels and a really wonderfully ornately decorated main bar. Many rooms overlook the cathedral too.
I had a room overlooking Sinclairs and thought I would struggle with noise but being on the top floor I slept very soundly.
The location is perfect for shoppers, train arrivals in to Victoria, the MEN arena and Deansgates nightlife. The rest of the centre (Piccadilly Station included) is around 15 minutes walk away.
I read some reviews saying the room was really cold. It was -1 the night I stayed so I put the radiator on full before I went out and came back several hours later to a toasty room which stayed warm all night.
To summarize there is no 5 star luxury at this hotel (aside from the look of the building and the location) but you are not paying luxury prices. I loved it and will definitely book again without the fear next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mitre Hotel? Share your experiences!