“My friend and I decided to go on a last...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chesters Hotel and Restaurant

You added Chesters Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
Chesters Hotel and Restaurant
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   730 Chester Road, Old Trafford, Manchester M32 0RS, England (Formerly Chester Court Hotel)   |
Ranked #48 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“My friend and I decided to go on a last...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My friend and I decided to go on a last minute trip to Manchester for shopping and a night out, because we left it to last minute we ended up stopping here and booking through hotels.com.

Like others have said the hotel is not in Manchester city centre and about a 10 minute taxi ride away, there is also a bus stop with a direct regular service into the city centre round the corner next to the wetherspoons and a tram stop about ten minutes walk away.

First impressions were good we were greeted by a lovely lady who told us all we needed to know, she directed us to our room which was on the top floor, luckily there is a lift to this :).

Our room was fine in a corner with two single beds, a tv, a wardrobe, a fan, an ironing board and iron, tea and coffee making facilities. Our en - suite was nice although the overhead shower was a bit iffy and we could only get it the temperature to be really hot or freezing!

The day of our visit was really hot and although we had the fan on and the windows open constantly it was still really warm when we got back to our room at 3 in the morning.

The hotel was really quiet, the bar looked nice although we never got anything from it and there was just the bar man in it, he was really pleasant.

Before we went out for the night we asked the lady on reception if she could book us a taxi. Although she done it she seemed really miserable and her mood seemed to get even lower when she had to ring our room to tell us the cab was here.

The security man who let us in after our night out seemed pleasant enough and let us in as soon as we rang the doorbell and told him which room we were in to get our key back.

In the morning of checking out the nice lady was back and check out was a breeze :).

I would stop here again, though it's probably suited for people going to watch Manchester united or going to old Trafford cricket club which both ate about five minute walks away.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed here over the weekend. Good clean, well facilitated room on the ground floor, but a bit noisy being next to the staircase and not fully sound insulated from the road. It was an exceptionally hot weekend so we had to keep the window open - though I did find a fan in the wardrobe while checking out - so may be an oversight on my part.

I'd read the reviews on TA before coming and note that one of the receptionists is 'cold' rather than rude with a very particular style. However, the office manager is a credit to the hotel and was very helpful.

Bar downstairs is well equipped with good service and apparently breakfast is very good.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Away from the Manchester city central but very near to Old trafford. An ideal place for people who visit Manchester just to go to Old trafford. Direct bus service available to the city central.
Room was very clean with a LCD TV and an elegant bathroom. Value for money since it's the soccer off-season. Breafast at an extra cost of £6.95.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
leistershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

This hotel was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. the rooms were spotless, the breakfast was excellent as was the waiter service. This was the cheapest hotel room I have ever booked and the best room I have experienced for a budget price hotel and much better than some of the more expensive non budget chains. My nine year old son saw the room and said "Mum I thought you said this hotel was £29 a night not £129" He is an experienced well travelled hotel client (children always speak the truth)!!. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Well done Chesters

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

After reading some good reviews from the internet, I decided to book into this hotel for 1 night for a stop over in Manchester. The hotel is located out from the city and requires a bus to get there that takes about 15-20min. The place is relatively clean and staff at first seem friendly and helpful.

However, my credit card details got leaked out. This is the only hotel I gave out my credit card details to because they requested it as a pre authorisation. I was asked to write down my address, self details, credit card details and signature on a printed out piece of paper. Little did I know that my details would be leaked out. My credit card details was used somehow by someone else 1/2 way across the globe to withdraw money from an ATM causing serious money loss to me and very troublesome. It really spoiled my holiday as I am now scared to use my credit card overseas and also had to contact my country back at home and deal with all these issues. I will take legal action if losses are not recoverable.

I am totally disappointed by the lack of security from the hotel and the protocol when dealing with persoanl details of customers. Please do not stay in this hotel unless you want your personal details stolen.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

travelled down to manchester as partner was doidng bupa 10k. we booked this hotel as all others were £110. we got train to picadilly, and walked to hotel, (about an hour 20min walk). taxis to and from hotel were £8. we didnt mind walking.
Arrived at hotel and we were greeted by a receptionist, who at first seemed friendly, then turned in to a battleaxe. we just laughed it off. she gave very mixed directions to the room, when we asked her to clarify she bit our head off. (maybe she was grumpy as it was a sat night and she was stuck behind a desk in a hotel!!)
when we got to our room i thought it was fab. it was really big, bathroom spotless and gorgeous. I was wary, as it was £36 a night - i though what are we goign to get.

bed was good too. everything really clean. Didnt hear any of our neighbours also.

we were just here for one night, if i was travelling for 3 nights or more, would defo get somewhere more central.

Only downside was that 1) the freeview tv was very jumpy due to signalling issues. when we got to recpetion at first, i asked the girl if tvs were working, as a sign was up sayng they were all shut down. Again she bit my head off saying yes! ...well take the signs down then!! though not issue- as we werent there to watch TV, just put it on as i was getting ready to go out for dinner.

2) i looked inside the kettle to get a coffee in the morning and it was all rusty. needless to say didnt bother. however they did have nice coffee/biscuits etc.

those were only 2 downsides. If i went back to manchester i would 80% stay there again..depending how long i was going for.

Didnt bother with breakfast, as this was an extra £7ph.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Just returned from this hotel. Booked for value & location (attending a wedding in Old Trafford). When booking was informed that I would have to pay an extra 15 pounds per night for an air bed for my 14 year old son (5ft 8 inches!) I did not think it would be an actual lilo used at a beach! The first night the lilo was nearly flat - asked for it to re inflated - I slept on it the 2nd night- had to place a pillow under my hips! This is totally inadequate fora child of any size! Did complain - still awaiting phone call from manager.

I agree with the other reviewers that the floor boards do creak very loudly!. Heard our neighbours constantly during the night.
The rooms were very clean & towels were changed daily. The receptionist who "welcomed" us on arrival ( a friday) was so cold & just wanted our payment - gave us no directions to the room,etc!
The receptionist who was on at the weekend was fantastic - so helpful & friendly!
I would recommend this hotel for very short stays for couples or single people- definitely not for children!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Chesters Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!