“very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
England
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have been to Greens many times in the past, including from the very early days - so patrons over a period of 20 years. However, we haven't been in a few years.

Last weekend we entertained a vegetarian visitor and thought that Greens would be the ideal choice and booked a lunchtime table.

The restaurant itself is pleasant, well appointed and the menu is very good/extensive. The food itself, however, was very variable. Five of us ate and three of us were very disappointed and the other two were ambivalent.

So what was the problem?

1. one meal was lukewarm and served with lumpy mashed potatoes
2. another meal came with a plastic bottle top mixed in with noodles and vegetables
3. a third meal (gnocchi) comprised of 10 pieces of pasta and a tasteless sauce

If this wasn't enough, we sat down at 12.30, ordered some bread and olives and got these precisely 50 minutes later!!! The excuse was that there was a big party in ahead of us. In fact this was a party of 7 adults and one child - it seems they were just unprepared.

Our starters followed a further 20-25 minutes after the bread and olives. When I pointed out there was a bottle top in my meal, the waitress took the food away and said the top had 'fallen off a shelf'. I must admit I expected not to be charged for item, or to be offer a free drink or some simple act of good will..........but that never happened.

I see Mr Rimmer - the owner- on television on a frequent basis. Perhaps he should go back to base and take a look at what is going on?

I'm sorry to have to write this review as I have always enjoyed Greens and recommended it to many, many people for almost 2 decades. But frankly, this was such a poor experience that I felt the need to warn others.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Darlington, United Kingdom
“You have to try this vegetarian restaurant in Didsbury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Owned by Simon Rimmer (of Sunday Brunch fame) this is simply the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever visited. I took my wife, son and his girlfriend for Sunday lunch partly out of curiosity and partly to give my wife whose been vegetarian for 30 years a pre Mother's Day treat. We had the taster/sharer to start, with warm Artisan bread "black pudding (which tasted uncannily like the real thing), which proved a great hit with us all. 10 out of 10 for the starter. We each chose something different for a main course, Cheshire cheese and Basil sausage, Roasted Squash, Leek and Ricotta Puff, Truffle Mushroom and Pearl Barley Stew and Black Pudding cake with a poached egg with side orders of twice cooked hand cut chips and Roast Beetroot and Spinach which was to die for. Each dish was perfectly cooked and seasoned to perfection. Again 10 out of 10. We had coffees, two bottles of wine and a couple of beers all for around £130 for the fours of us. The restaurant is informally laid out and decorated which promotes a very enjoyable and relaxing atmosphere for eating. We took over 3 hours over our meal and enjoyed every minute. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable about each of the dishes and were very eager to engage us in conversation and tell us all about the dishes again 10 out of 10. The food and the eating experience is simply excellent. I doubt if you told people it was a vegetarian restaurant they'd even know. If your in the area try something truly different and give it a go its much, much more than Lentils and love beads!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Decided to go some where a bit different and so glad I chose Greens! My friend and I are both meat eaters but we thought we would try a vegetarian meal for a change. WOW is all I can say! Absolutely amazing food! Who needs meat? Fab atmosphere, gorgeous non alcoholic cocktails and if you have enough room for pudding then u must try the vanilla and ginger cheese cake! This is my new favourite restaurant! Can't wait to go back and try more dishes...........

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stockport, United Kingdom
“The Place To Be For Veggies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I used to live nr Didsbury and on a visit back home we called into Greens. I had heard a radio advert and thought it sounded great, as a veggie it is so difficult to find a place that doesn't just have veggie lasagne or a cheese buttie on their menu

We had veggie "black pudding" sandwiches with soup and it was delicious

It is clean and airy and quite trendy, the service was brilliant and I would visit again anytime I am back in Manchester

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Greens never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Been going to Green's Vegitarian restaurant on and off for many years now but hadn't been for a couple of years (so many restaurants to try these days in Manchester!). I'd forgotten just how good it was and it hasn't lowered its consistently high standards.
The best thing I can say about Greens is I'm not a vegitarian (my daughter is) but I really enjoy the food there and the taste and quality of the ingredients is outstanding - even meat eaters can have an enjoyable meal at Greens - no dry tasteless "nut cutlets" and all the nonsense you get at some veggie restaurants.
Their Black Pudding is a great example of something that seems quintissentially meaty but the veggie version may even be tastier than the real thing!

• Visited February 2013