“Good value veggie” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy, Organic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Booth Street
Transit: Tram Stops: Mosley St or St Peters Square
Description: Manchester city centres only Vegetarian restaurant, open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner (closed Sunday evening). Our kitchen is headed by Roman Labat with menus inspired by British classics with a twist. Why not join us for our monthly Jazz night?
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good value veggie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband had raved about this place following a visit there with our daughter. I was a little sceptical, having read mixed reviews. On an extremely hot Saturday, we were shown to our seats and our water glasses were filled straight away, even before our order was taken. Service was prompt and friendly, food delicious and good value (main + a drink £10). During our meal our water glasses were filled twice more, without us having to ask. A very pleasant experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wandel
“Glad I ignored the poor reviews below! Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Service could not have been more friendly. Greeted as soon as I walked in, offered a choice of tables. Background music not intrusive but covered conversations so you didn't feel overheard or disturbed. Had chef's trio for starter and the Mille feuille for main, all good and filling. Good choice on the menu, just a shame I was too full to try the chef's trio of desserts! Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to 1847 for a Birthday Meal. Having been a vegetarian for 26 years, I was very excited, and pleased that my meat eating family were happy to give it a go.

It was a very hot evening. We were greeted, shown to a table and offered water whilst we were waiting, which was good service (provided by the waitress).

We were hungry (8.30 table) and waited a considerable time to order. What was strange is that the waiter (who oddly had his shirt half tucked in his jeans) saw we were waiting, decided instead to wiped down a table and then come over to take our order.

The house wine was unavailable, but we were given a good alternative.

We waited some considerable time for the food, and given we were hungry, was very disappointing. When it came it was the main course, rather than the starters. The waiter, who looked shocked, and didn't know what to do muttered "haven't you had your starters" and did an about turn with the food. He came back and said "the starters will be a couple of minutes"

Given the restaurant is a small place, with about 40 covers, I am surprised at this error. I am also surprised at the lack of apology.

The starter when it came we nice enough. I had the beetroot pancake, which was fine. My brother had the chef's taster which was great. The reason I didn't order it was there was no indication of what might be on it. I assume this is so they can offer vegan alternatives, but some indication would have been nice.

They did make fresh mains for us, which is as I would expect, but I know in some places doesn't always happen. I had the Halloumi "fish" and chips which was lovely.

The ordering of dessert was a bit of a farce. My brother had declared he was looking forward to the Mint Chocolate Marquis as soon as he saw the menu. We ordered this, and were told there wasn't any. In the alternative we opted for the chef taster (again, no indication of what this might be). When it came, it had a shot glass of the marquis in it!!! Whilst I appreciate it might have been the case that they might not have been enough of it to make a full desert, or indeed that it might have been prepared in small portions, the explanation I was given was neither of these. I was told "we only had a small amount so we decided to save it for the chef taster" [as in rather than serve you what you had asked for]. This is a strange attitude to have, and a long way from giving the customer what they want (or even what is advertised)

Having read previous reviews of the place, I was struck by the reply to a previous negative reviewer, by the person who I assume is Aaron Gamble. I think Aaron was there on Friday night, we were certainly greeted by a very professional member of staff. Unfortunately, I think this staff member was oblivious to the actions of his waiting staff, given he seemed to be himself entertaining friends.

I think that the waitress was great, attentive and organised. The waiter I expect was inexperienced, did not take responsibility for his tables, hence why he did not know we did not have our starters and did not offer any recompense for this. The Head of Service and Beverage perhaps should provide more support to his waiting staff. I don't hold either of those responsible for the decision about the dessert. It is a strange attitude to have towards customers, which I assume was driven by the kitchen.

On the whole, the food was nice, a lot of hot people working hard in the kitchen, but the service and attitude towards the customers was incredibly disappointing and ruined, what for me, was a great opportunity to enjoy vegetarian cuisine on my birthday.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“I've never eaten a better green bean!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The food was perfect - a real taste bonanza! I loved how fresh and tasty the green beans were. Must of been pick that day and cooked perfectly. They worked brilliant with a smashing hollandaise. Can't stop thinking about what was in the beautiful scones that I had for the starter? Ever so fragrant and just slightly spicy. It was delicious. Staff were awesome too - my daft boyfriend left his laptop behind and they kept it safe for him! I will certainly be coming back again as soon as I can!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Special night out with my kids - terrible customer service, served mains without starters, took no responsibility, no explanation, no apology - won't be recommending to anyone

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere