“Needs some TLC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Needs some TLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Took me a while to find the hotel. Admittedly it was a dark and rainy evening. I was hidden away with the name and street number painted in red. I was apprehensive as I entered the entrance hallway and walked towards the hotels entrance doors.
The reception are by the door and my booking was efficiently handled. The lobby was bright and clean but the décor is closer to the 70s. I was on the first floor and the walk took me through some interesting corridors. My room was large and clean, although again in need of update.
The TV worked, the radiator worked (important on such a cold wet night) and there was a good selection of tea and coffee available. The bathroom was clean as were the towels.
Initially I was unable to connect to the Internet. Wifi was OK but no outward connection. A call to reception had the problem quickly fixed.
Spent some time in the bar which was comfortable but very quiet. I was the only customer.
My room looked out towards Piccadilly Gardens and I was concerned about the noise as the windows were only single glazed. Early on I could hear the passing cars and pedestrians clearly. Luckily by midnight things had quieted down.
The bed was very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.
To be fair the hotel was everything I needed and reasonably priced. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here while attending party conference in Manchester. Fantastic location, right by Piccadilly Gardens. Really convenient for MetroLink services. The rooms were fairly standard, and featured all the basic amenities I would expect. I was slightly disappointed that the main lift was not working at all during the time I was there. The other lift was working fine, but was only accessible from the mezzanine level, so was quite awkward for luggage. Having said that the staff were incredibly helpful, offering to carry our luggage, and were very quick to help when the heating stopped working in our room one night. Not the best hotel I've stayed in, but certainly not the worst either.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night recently as I was attending the Dylan Carlson gig which turned out to be two minutes away. In many ways, I thought the hotel was great. It had character, the staff were friendly and helpful, even coming to the room within 1 minute of me ringing to say I couldn't turn the taps off. It is obviously an old building and old features can be seen so for those complaining about it not being modern well of course not. I only had the continental breakfast which offered a decent variety but I did spy the cooked breakfasts (inc a veggie fry up) and it looked good.

I only have one complaint really and it was a fairly major one although as I was staying one night only, I said nothing but if I was staying longer I would have requested a room change (and given the staffs helpfulness I'm sure it would have been sorted). My room was a decent size for a single but the window was huge and the bed right against it. This wouldn't have been a problem but the double glazing was ineffective at retaining heat and my room was actually quite cold. It wasn't a big problem as I stayed one night only and it wouldn't put me off staying again though I would check that out.

The hotel is centrally situated too which is a bonus factor.

So, for me ... 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 star I guess

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

After a long train journey I wasnt really on the ball attention wise and managed to completely miss the entrance to the hotel (even though I was trying to keep track of the numbers on the buildings). I DID walk past something that looked like an old hotel and had an unlit Hotel neon sign outside. When I got further up towards the main square I realised I had overshot and fished my mobile out of my bag - reluctantly if I am honest because at around 8.30 pm there are quite a lot of iffy looking characters about. I was directed to walk back towards the station & look for the SUBWAY food shop and a doorway next to it on the left. Found it but really was apprehensive now because the "doorway" I could see looked like something out of Bladerunner on a bad night. Phoned again and the deskclerk was really helpful and friendly and sent the manager out to find me - fabulous. Once you see it you see it and there is a very grand granite -finished set of steps up to the double doors and then you are into a light and airy reception area. All well and good if you dont have mobility or back problems (as I do). Checked in, asked about dinner - given options, get the key to the room fine. Next problem. I ask where the lift is and am told very sorry it is out of order, there is a lift at the other end of the hotel but you still have to WALK to the first floor to access it. Never mind, the desk clerk was only to happy to carry my case up... Only three small occassional lamps in the room and only one appeared to work (although the very patient duty manager came up and fiddled with the switches & eventually the other two worked!). Goodness, not bright enough to do any reading or work on the computer which was a real PITA. Room was pleasant & the bathroom & shower were fabulous. Breakfast in the dining area was OK, a reasonable transport cafe standard & at least the plate was hot. OK I got a good price (compared to a lot of other hotels in the Picadilly area), complimentary WIFI and the staff were pleasant and helpful; I was only there for one night - but if I had been staying in Manchester for a second night I would have checked out and found somewhere else...

Room Tip: Room at the front of the building not insulated for sound so if you are a light sleeper you need to...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

First of let me say the staff on reception and the staff that brought breakfast to the room were very helpful, polite and courteous.

The owners had clearly spent money on the hotel reception area as that again gave a good first impression - but that's where the good news ends!

Here's the bad news. Once you step out of reception you step into a dirty, old fashioned, grimy place. The threadbare carpet on the stirs to the second floor should have warned us of what was to come.

The room was dark, dingy and looked like is was last decorated just before the second world war. The metal windows were so rusty you could not close them, and given the room overlooked the very noisy Picidily area, with loud drunken people walking past until the very early hours, that was a shame!

But worse was to come. My wife jumped up when she saw what she thought were 3 fleas or some other form of bug on hers and my pillow. As the window could not be shut I rather optimistically thought they might be insects that had just flown in. However, as it was too late to contemplate getting dressed and packing up to move rooms, I decided to assume they we're such insects but my wide (being far more intelligent than I) said she was sleeping on the sofa instead!

The next day I awoke with several bites on my ankles that were itching and concluded then they had in fact been fleas or bed bugs - neither of which are good bedfellows.

Finally, the continental breakfast arrived and the selection of fruit turned out to be one small plumb and one apple - both of which had been in a fridge which was turned up far too high, as they were both rock hard and frozen.

We packed and got out of there a.s.a.p. and as I write this my skin is still crawling from the thought of what was in the bed, as a few hours later 40 bites have become evident all over my body including my face, back, arms & legs.

So my advice would be, avoid room 204 (as I can't speak for every other bedroom in the hotel) but I know I'll be avoiding the hotel all together in the future!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for a week on business and can't fault this hotel. Proximity to the city centre is great, staff were friendly, room was comfortable and spacious, shower had decent pressure and temperature, breakfast was nice and service was quick. There is a small bar open 24hrs too.

Value was also good. This obviously isn't a luxury place but is a very pleasant stay and a very reasonable price.

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Double room with no windows had never seen natural sunlight, stunk of dust. I'm sure this had been regularly vacuumed but a room with no natural light is essentially a coffin. How any one could design a hotel like that I have no idea. Otherwise passable but poor value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!