“Cracking Place to Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #68 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Cracking Place to Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Came here as a mixed group of 10 people after struggling to find a reasonably priced Travelodge in the area. When I checked out the reviews, I was expecting the worst from this hotel but honestly, I think some peoples expectations are far too high!!!

Check in was smooth and friendly. The porter did not offer to assist us with our bags as we struggled in to the lift. He later helped 2 men with like one rucksack each, so he does work sometimes. Our rooms, well we just loved them - they were HUGE!! Rooms for cartwheels and all sorts. We had triple rooms containing 2 x double beds, a camp bed and a sofa! Pleasant little tea cups and saucers and an adequate supply of tea & coffee. There was a telly and an ironing board with iron. Cannot fault the rooms at all really, there was a disused lift in our room which we assumed ghosts used to get around the hotel, saves them floating everywhere I suppose. I guess on that note if you're a bit weak stomached on the 'ghosts & spirits' front then you'll want one of the new fancy rooms. There was a lot of noise coming from the street but what would you expect staying in the city centre? Not that we were in the room much, we were out clubbing and making noise outside someone else's hotel window!

What you will not get from this hotel is a gourmet breakfast. You will find watery scrambled egg, cold toast and an hour long wait (following several requests) for tea. Go over the road to Mc D's, it will be quicker and less bland. This is probably the only negative.

We only stayed for two nights but the cleaner came to tidy our room and replace our towels on the second day, although we were relaxing at the time so we just settled for clean towels.

Some 12 hours after I arrived home in London, I realised I'd left my jeans behind. So at 1am I rang the hotel, spoke to the manager who promptly rescued them from the room I was in. He then passed them on to housekeeping who sent them back to me for £7.50 (having said they were charging £5) nonetheless they made it home in one piece and that is service you have to admire because had we stayed in a Travelodge, I have no doubt, the cleaner would have been wearing my jeans right about now.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

We booked a superior room through my partners work for a Christmas Party in the town centre. We were aware of previous reviews that the hotel bedrooms are tired and in need of a refurb, this is still the case and it appears to be a little bit of pot luck if you get one of the newly refurb'd rooms.
Our rooms hadn't been refurb'd but they were very large with a vaulted ceiling. The room and bathroom was clean although you could see the room was old, the pointing and grouting in the bathroom weren't at their best. There was a mini bar but with nothing in. The TV quality was poor and the beds had no sheets to cover the duvan base which made the room look a little cheap.
Other than the bedrooms the hotel appears to be very nice, the interior architecture is amazing if a little "Here's Johnny" sanitorium style in a few areas (They have lots of tiled walls in the hallways but amusing and stunning. Other than that the staff looked a little harassed and over worked and they had so many guests to look after.
On the whole I would return there, but they need to plow on with their refurb its a little unfair for people to pay the same money but get vastly different rooms. The interior architecture alone is worth a night in the hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you for your review and so please you will return. Please though let me reassure future guests, it is not "pot luck" on which room you get! The different standards i.e. room types of all are bedrooms are clearly advertised and priced accordingly for our guests to choose when booking. Your kind comment on cleanliness was nice to see and forwarded to the housekeeping team. Richard Morrell
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I recently went here for a romantic weekend and to suprise my girlfriend by proposing.
the hotel were very accomodating by upgrading my room because of the special reason for being there and helped me in everyway possible to make sure the proposal happend as smoothly as possible. I found the staff to be very friendly and the room very clean, spacious, quiet and comfortable. Myself and my (now engaged partner) are really looking forward to going back to the Palace Hotel again next year or maybe even before as it is very close to all the shops and restaurants.
"Ten out of Ten"

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Mr Bremner. Congratulations from all the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Richard Morrell
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Booked the Place Hotel last weekend for our annivesary. Contacted the Palace the week before our arrival and told them it was a special occasion and asked for a quiet room. Kathryn responded and promised to upgarde our room to a "Contempory Executive Suite" as it was a special occasion. We arrived on the friday evening and went to our room expecting somthing a bit special... How disappointed we were to discover the room was just a standard room with to double beds...We contacted reception who confirmed this was an upgraded room...Definately not contempory or executive..Despite asking for a quiet room we were kept awake till 12:30am on the friday night with loud music coming from a function room below..The following day we walked past several rooms be cleaned and could see they were infact contempory and executive nothing like the room we were given.....Thanks very much the Palace you should be very proud of yourselves.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
I am sorry you felt let down by Kathryn but she did upgrade you to a Superior Room as the Executive rooms were allocated to guests who had paid for their ugrade. The hotel was very busy and you had only booked a standard room . Richard Morrell
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Lovely hotel, some gorgeous features but the building is so old with such massive communal areas and high celings, it seems its really difficult to keep warm in winter. Reception staff were friendly and food was really good.

Our Room...... we were on floor M (below the reception area at the back of the hotel) Room was really spacious and we had windows on two sides of the room so plenty of light coming in but as the orginal windows are still in place the condensation on them was horrific. Heard a gush of water about 3am and thought the radiator was leaking, turned out to be the condensation on the windows running down onto the sill and then gushing all over the floor. Had to put a towel on the sill to soak up all the water. Room stank of mould and corridors around our room reeked of sewage (not sure if rooms on other floors were like this). The room was freezing and felt damp, as did all our clothes within an couple of hours of being in the room.

Wouldn't really go back and stay and this hotel... especially in winter!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Great looking hotel, and the check in staff are always friendly. I usually stay here for work functions but decided to book a night as me and my girlfriend were going to see a band at the nearby academy. The downsides are that the rooms look and feel dated, despite an alleged refurb. The rooms are so dark it's unbelievable, and it can get pretty cold. However, my one positive is that the staff at breakfast are extremely helpful and friendly. Unfortunately the rates are quite high, so I doubt I'll stay again.

• Stayed November 2010
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Stayed at the hotel for work and was really pleased with the hotel. It has good service, friendly people and great location. If you visit this time of year you must visit the German Xmas Market which is walking distance from the hotel

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!