“Maybe 3 Stars and Not 4” 3 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Northern Ireland
“Maybe 3 Stars and Not 4”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here with a Groupon deal, last weekend.
The deal included a free upgrade if a room was available, and following a 9 minute wait on the telephone a few days prior to our stay, I got through to a receptionist and managed to bag the upgrade.
In fairness I would have to say that I would not like to have seen a basic room if we were in a superior – just OK. I would agree with previous TA reports about a complete lack of basics for a superior package. That said, the bed was very comfortable.
I would however disagree about some of the reports of the hotel itself. The lobby is dark, but this is an old building with some history
The breakfast the next morning should also be commended, with something to suit every palate.
A bit of work needed on the rooms Palace

Room Tip: Push for an upgrade if you can
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations with our accommodation.
Thank you for highlighting our great Breakfast and our beautiful Grade Two
Listed building.
Richard Morrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hazel Grove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have rated The 'Palace' two stars: one star for it being directly opposite Oxford Road station, meaning I didn't have to walk far with the case; and another star for the building remaining standing throughout my stay, allowing me to leave alive.

The fact that my partner and I were able to leave with our health intact was the only positive of our stay - an experience littered with shoddiness. How can this hotel possibly call itself The Palace?!

Room: ill-equipped; bed: uncomfortable; bath: plug didn't work; decor: cracked paint/marble; lobby toilets: no locks on the doors!!

No, I won't be returning, especially considering Roy Walker is hosting there soon. Roy. Walker. ...say what you see: rubbish!!

Stayed February 2014
Many apologies and will contact you to resolve to your complete satisfaction.
Richard Morrell
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We thought we had landed on our feet when we saw an offer for two nights, a welcome drink and breakfast on both mornings for £129. I'm so glad we didn't pay anymore than that!

Check in was fairly smooth despite being made to log onto their computer to print out my groupon voucher because apparently they need a printed copy - then of course there was no ink in the printer and they couldn't get hold of any so I had to email it to someone - eventually I was checked in. On the offer it did say that there was a complimentary upgrade to a superior room but there was non available for us to have! Sad face.

The actual lobby area of the hotel is quite dark, and abit gothic with pillar candles in arches. Quite striking on first glance but on closer inspection abit gloomy! We were located on the first floor, room 117 opposite the lift - not the ideal location really, but I assume that's what you get when you have a groupon code! The room was quite big with high ceilings, not much in the way of modern decor and just abit sparse. No fridge in the room, no ice bucket (this was rectified when we were provided with one from the bar), no robes or slippers, two tiny bottles of shampoo/shower gel, not all the lights worked in the room, cracked walls/ceilings, the plug in the bath got stuck, cracked toilet, hard bed with ripped sheets, white stain on the sofa (I dread to think), carpet lifting from the floor....I thought this was supposed to be a 4 star hotel??! I have no idea how it gets that grade because it wasn't like any other 4 star hotel I have stayed in!

Breakfast on the Saturday morning was much better than the Sunday - on Sunday there was barely anything left!! There are a lot of options to choose from (if you get there early enough) - continental, full English, fruit, pastries etc etc. Couldn't really say a bad word on the breakfast. Not sure I'd pay £15 each for it on a stand alone basis but it was included on our offer so we did enjoy it. The Tempus restaurant/bar area is very open plan, modern
and quite trendy. We had our welcome drink in the bar on Saturday night and there was a nice atmosphere - laid back, candles on tables and very comfy chairs.

To conclude - not all that impressed with the Palace and will not be returning. We stayed at the Midland before Christmas.....now that really is a Palace.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our stay at the Palace Hotel was on a short visit to celebrate my wife's birthday. The building itself is fantastic. Walking into the reception area the grandeur of the place is clear to see. Great high ceilings with massive columns and reference to its previous life as an Insurance building. The journey to our suite took us through the old safe room, with old safes lining both sides of the room. The high ceilings continued throughout and our panelled room gave further evidence of its former glory. It does need a little talc in places but when there is history round every corner it can maybe be overlooked. The staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. I would not think twice about booking a return visit.

Room Tip: A couple of days before the visit we were contacted by the hotel and offered an upgrade. We took a j...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed in room 411... The room was quite nice, big and the bed was comfortable, although the pillows need changing very badly-there is no substance to em whatsoever ! No fridge in the room. The bathroom was on another level accessible via stairs. When I went to the bathroom it was FREEZING COLD. This was because there were two windows in the room which would not shut and whilst they had placed another sealed window unit in their place (which you could slide open) it was still allowing the draft through. It was like an ice-box... This was affecting the warmth in the bedroom. I called reception and housekeeping brought up a portable heater (which I could not even place in the bathroom as there was no socket to do so, outside the bathroom. I had to visit the bathroom may times during my stay and each time I dreaded it (it was like going outside!). The next morning I complained and Rachel the manager handled my concern very well and adjusted my bill very fairly.0, and said the next time I visited to call her and she would ensure I got a better room. She also assured me that maintenance would look at the windows in the bathroom and also look at the light switch co cern i raised (in the early hors of the morning I went to the bathroom, and as I could not find the light switch by the stairs I had to be led by the street lights... On the way back from the bathroom, i missed the final step because there was quite a gap from the last one and hurt my foot on trying to save myself! I also raised an issue over the tea storage . When I made myself a cup of traditional tea using a sealed teabag, i could not drink it as it tasted of mint!!! This was because housekeeping put peppermint teabags in the caddy with and next to all the other variety of teabags!!! Gain Rachel said she would take this up with Housekeeping. Thank you for dealing with my concerns so professionally and fairly Rachel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Palace as a part of a conference package. One thing to note is the rooms vary considerably from one another. Some colleagues received quite impressive rooms, whereas others such as myself received a room below ground level with blocked out windows...I think this area may have been converted from old staff quarters?

Most frustrating thing about my stay was that it was so noisy! I could LOUDLY hear trains passing by my window every five minutes. I could hear those passing my room conversations word for word, and I could hear someone walking upstairs above me. I think the hotel seriously needs to invest in some soundproofing, as this wasn't really acceptable as a 4* hotel.

Overall the exterior grandeur of the hotel seems impressive, but if you're unlucky with your room it won't be that impressive a stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Large hotel set in an old office block (looks more like an old hospital interior though). Attractive tiling in the corridors and stairwells and a magnificent foyer.

Rooms also quite large, but warm and quiet. Our room was opposite the old board rooms so may be a bit bigger than standard rooms. Huge king size bed with chairs and a massage chair (bet that has seen plenty of action). Bathroom was a bit on the tatty side and needed refurbishment. Again very large, but suitable for disabled guests. Didn't like the open style shower that created a lake.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing as we has to wait for everything, but overall acceptable.

Great location as very central and discounted parking close by.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!