“Overnight at The Palace” 4 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #65 of 117 hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Overnight at The Palace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Palace Hotel was perfectly situated to the centre of the city for my business trip . Within walking distance of Manchester Piccadilly station and the conference I was attending the following day it was the ideal location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thankyou for highlighting our great location. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager

1,659 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was not a good experience and I was staying for business and thankfully wasn't paying. The reception area is vast but gloomy. At check in nothing was explained to me e.g breakfast I was given my room card and complicated instructions to get to my room. I eventually got to the lift and up to the second floor. The corridor seemed fine, then it changed to tiled walls making me think of an asylum, threadbare carpet and free standing electric heaters wall mounted and looking extremely precarious, it was awful. Then I got to the room, which was shabby, overstuffed & with a peculiar smell. I knew I wouldn't sleep. Then I went in the bathroom cracked tile, stains on wall and ceiling and flakes of plaster in the bath. At this point I decided to go and ask for another room. I was allocated one that had been modernised and better but was an accessible room so bathroom wasn't ideal. Breakfast was alright but the continental selection was poor. I would not want to stay here again.

T

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
warrington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

stayed here 29/11 while at a sixties concert (which by the way was incredible) reception dark but very large was given room 405, seemed a good large room, until you got the trains rumbling past the bathroom very large but a leaking radiator in there (judging by the marks it had been leaking for some time surely the cleaner should have spotted this) you had to run the taps for a long time to get any hot water (what happened to water conservation) and even then it was only warm,a big crack in the bathroom ceiling and plaster hanging off was off putting, breakfast although served at a buffett counter was good but only luke warm but nothing to say fruit juice and toast was available at the other side of the room. Overall would I stay again, I would take a lot of persuading and would need assurances that these issues had been addressed, do not see how this has a four star rating as a lot of the premier inns are as good and a lot cheaper, I have seen these issues before on trip advisor and the general manager says they will be looked at, I wonder?,can only say to me this is no more than three star at best and needs somebody to take a long hard look at it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one Thursday night as it was very close to our concert venue. Lovely first impressions at the reception hall with a dark , gothic and elaborate feel. Took me a long time to check in, probably about 10 mins waiting but feels longer when you just want to drop of your bags and get settled, there were about 5 people mishing about behind the desk but only one seeing to the guests that were present, the staff seemed stressed and were even having stressed and snappy exchanges between themselves, not a good atmosphere to start what should be a relaxing break.
Walking through the building to the room , things were impressively ornate and I loved the tiling throughout the hotel and rooms, but on closer inspection , things are bashed, chipped , rotting and generally needing a lot of attention.
Room was dark and forboding with its high ceilings but I don't mind this , it adds to the charm, it could be a gorgeous room but its such a shame how it is kept. Windows were filthy, and I mean on the inside, black finger upon touching a pane of glass. We had a bathroom as described in an earlier review, with holes in the uneven floor, dirty grouting on shower tiles, I had to clean someone else's BLOOD off the sink on arrival, presumably from someone's mouth after tooth brushing. Me and my fella did not even take a shower as we felt it was not hygienic enough unless we were desperate.
We did not sleep a wink, unable to turn extractor fan off in bathroom. Yes the outside was very noisy but we would expect that in a city centre. But the bed was tiny, a double not much larger than a single and soo uncomfortable and lumpy it actually HUrt to sleep in.
We paid £85 for the room so in a city centre I was not expecting fabulous things but cleanliness should be standard.
Oh and that lift, waited ages to get in that, and we couldn't find the stairs to use instead :) as mentioned before , signposting is poor, it was difficult to find our room at first too.
All in all not somewhere Is stay again, lucky we are the kind of people who can laugh about such things or it could've easily have ruined a trip to a great city.

Stayed November 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked this hotel, as I had stayed at another in the chain in Glasgow (worth every penny!) however the common areas are the best it got. Reception welcomed us, but nothing above and beyond. One lift serves the whole hotel!! Many times i waited and the lift was full and I was unable to get in and wasted 15 mins waiting.

2 nights in the hotel with breakfast cost me £210, i could have stayed at a premier inn and had a better experience than this and would have had money left over.

I stayed in room 254, booked a double and this was confirmed even in check in, but instead i got 2 double beds, this was fine as I was staying with a friend but its not what i booked and would have been disappointed if had checked in with my boyfriend. The room was huge but not very nice and welcoming.

Bathroom stunk of drains throughout our whole 2 night stay, had to keep the door shut at all times and kept visits into the bathroom quick.

Dark Room covered in green and white tiles reminded me of a victorian bathroom, the sofa/ chair were old and not comfy - leather sofa was so shiny i slid off it when I sat on it.

Windows were not sound proof so noises from the busy street, constant trains were frustrating throughout the night - more can be done here, one of the windows were even missing so it was only a single pane of glass on the main window

Room is next to the housekeeping office and even on weekends 7am starts resulted in loud chatting /raised voices being heard loud and clear in the room, not a great way to wake up.

on the evening of the second night, returned to room to find the key card didn't work so had to wait a long time for the lift to trek back down to reception, found more people with the same issue queuing to be fixed by reception.

evening menu was nice ( had one course of caesar salad tiny but tasted nice). Bar was good but ran out of most cocktail ingredients and were unable to fulfil choices on the menu. Breakfast choice for hot food was very good, but continental breakfast choices were minimal and hardly any items were out to select from.

good location and only 15 minute walk to the shops at a leisurely pace but hotel experience was less than satisfactory and no where near 4 stars expected to find.

Room Tip: I just wouldn't book to stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I booked the Palace for my friends birthday with high expectations of a luxury city break. The walk down from the train station is a bit of a trek if you have bags but the view of the Palace as you arrive made in worthwhile, we was VERY excited to be staying at what looked like a beautiful, grand hotel.
And there the magic ends we were given our room by the receptionist, a very dated, dark room. I went straight into the bathroom and noticed there was urine on the toilet seat! Clearly had not been cleaned and there was numerous hairs in the bath. After a call down to reception, housekeeping came to take care of it. She was chatting away to us whilst cleaning the toilet and told us 'You have one of the better rooms, some rooms are covered in tiles and look like a mental asylum' She sounded very proud of her workplace, always a good sign. We also noticed she scrubbed the toilet bowl with a cloth and then used the same cloth to wipe the lid and the bath?! On leaving the room for our evening meal, we were greeted by a group on people, outside our door, all smoking. What year are we in?
A very disappointing stay. The only thing that made it worthwhile was spending time with my friend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here for just one night , was so lucky that was all. Our 409 was dirty old food stains on the headboard which i only say when the sun was shining throughthe next morning. We had a double double room which was great for a family but the bed was so hard I felt I aws awake all night it was so uncomfortable. Paid 101euro for the room and this was way over priced. I do belive their getting a 1million facelift but untill then stay away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!