“Meal went down smoothly but stung by the wine” 3 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Meal went down smoothly but stung by the wine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

After a great show (Wicked) at the Palace theatre my wife and I had booked in for a meal at the Tempus Restaurant in The Palace Hotel opposite the theatre. Our initial thoughts were that this was a restaurant that we could frequent each time we took in a future show at the Palace theatre, the seating was very comfortable, the decor was lovely and both the food and the service were also favorable .... except when it came to choosing a wine. Usually we are offered a wine list but the waitress here only gave us a verbal choice of 2 or 3 wines when we asked for them by the glass (as I was driving later and my wife doesn't drink much, a bottle would have been too much for up). We both ordered a medium sized glass of Rioja. The wine was of a decent standard but no more than that. When the bill came, each glass of wine came to £11, a total of £22 for two medium sized glasses! We were quite shocked at this, as even at the best 5 and 6 star hotels that we've stayed or dined at, wine by the glass had never been this expensive. Maybe we should have said something, or asked if it had been a mistake but we didn't want to kick up a fuss and simply paid the bill (and a £5 tip) and left. Therefore, although a good restaurant for the food and general feel of the place (though the carpets could have been a little cleaner!) we would not, as we thought on first impressions, be returning to dine there again due to the overpriced wine.

Room Tip: Enjoy the food and atmosphere after a show at the Palace but if they don't show you a wine list...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our wines by the glass start from £5.00. We do have a large selection of wines and the rioja reserve 2008 which you ordered retails at: large glass (250ml) £10.50. This is not over priced in the market place but my sincere apologies
if the team did not communicate clearly the price and size when choosing. All prices and sizes are clearly advertised on our menus.
I am glad you enjoyed the food so please return and I will be delighted to buy your first glass of wine on the house!
Kind Regards
Richard Morrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Havant
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel and although I am really impressed with the building I am disappointed by the service.
I have come across dirty crockery/cutlery at breakfast (after a significant delay queuing to be allowed to a table), I have complained about my safe not being accessible for two days running - been promised incorrectly that it would be sorted by the time I returned that day, and finally this evening I tried to ring room service to get dinner and after the phone was not answered for a couple of minutes popped across the road to Sainsbury to buy a sandwich.
Such a shame

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I will contact you urgently and resolve to your satisfaction and before you leave.
My sincere apologies Richard Morrell General Manager
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in November 2013 for a conference based at the hotel.
Its a great old building but with no running hot water and no heating this is like camping!
After the first night with the air con stuck on cold the hotel provided a plug in heater.
This resolved the freezing cold room but not the lack of hot water. Thankfully the room did have a kettle which came in handy to providing water bearable to strip wash in but hardly the comforts expected from a 4 star hotel. The other delegates reported the same issues so it is clearly a major issue.
The hotel receptionist took my phone number and email address and said the manager would be in touch but three days later I am still waiting.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: dont stay here!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Please can I offer my sincere apologies and will contact you urgently to discuss to your complete satisfaction. The heating problem was rectified within one hour and was due to an electrical fault which was a little out of our control. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Brigg, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Nice impressive hotel, however the place is a rabbit warren. Although it has been refurbished, the hotel needs much better lighting. The restaurant and breakfast is very good, however the rooms are bland and boring. A real shame as the hotel has the architecture to be a fabulous hotel.

There is nothing majorly wrong with this hotel - if you are booked in you will enjoy it.... it is just nothing special

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and pointing out some of the reviews are a "little" harsh on this website. However our aim is to ensure we exceed all our guests expectations, so I am so sorry we did not do on this occasion. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed overnight in this hotel. Staff were helpful but the hotel itself is run down , particularly in the public areas where your feet stick to the carpets! The main lounge has as much atmosphere as an airport departure lounge with people constantly trundling through with luggage. The heating in our room was broken, no plug for the bath so only option to have a shower. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel or at least that was what I booked. I would have expected a lot more for £162 per night!

Room Tip: Book early. I had to stay on a specific date for a conference and prices had almost doubled by the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thankyou for your review and so sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I will contact you direct
to discuss further and will resolve to your complete satisfaction. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
lima
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night this August after dubiously booking following some of the negative reviews on this site but I was pleasantly surprised. I had read comments regarding old and dirty rooms so at check in I specifically requested a modern room which was no problem and we got a room on the third floor.
It was a 'standard' room but I was really nice, extremely modern, clean and spacious. The bathroom was of a high standard and the bed was huge!
The hotel itself was very quiet and I slept well but the comments about being woken up early by the train station close by are unfortunately true. It just depends how much of a light sleeper you are.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the more modern rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased we exceeded your expectations. The Palace Hotel Manchester combines great rooms, great service with a brilliant location at the heart of the city. Look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Bromborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have just spent 2 nights at the Palace Hotel. Apart from having a fantastic room (huge, warm with everything I could possibly have needed),wonderful food ( magnificent breakfast) all in a lovely historic building, I just wanted to compliment you on the professionalism of ALL your staff. Every single member of staff I encountered over the past 2 days greeted me as if I were a regular visitor. Nothing was too much trouble - they were helpful, polite and friendly, and really went the extra mile. I would strongly recommend the Palace Hotel if you are visiting Manchester.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 124 which I think was above the bar, but I wasn't bothered by any noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Great review of the Palace Hotel Manchester and will pass on to the team.
So pleased we looked after you and hope you will return soon.
Kind Regards
Richard Morrell

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!