“Pot luck with the rooms” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Palace Hotel to your Saves list
The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Pot luck with the rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed here many times on business. The hotel staff are very friendly, the service is always good. However, it is pot luck whether you get a nice room or not. The last room I stayed in was almost in the basement. Windows were frosted glass and didn't open, air conditioning was a fan that I had to stand on a chair (the electrical type, not a person). Felt what I imagined a prison cell to be. Another one where the ceiling bounced from being under a mezzanine floor. Saying that there has also been one which was lovely (ya pays ya money and teks ya chance). Bar is nice and the food is really good although expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, they tend to be bigger and quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Noting we are a listed building all rooms are of a different size but most are very spacious and all are graded to four stars. Thanks for the great feedback on the staff and the Food and Beverage. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I had rung up previously to ask to be allocated one of the more modern rooms, as on laterooms this is the only room type shown. I then looked on trip advisor to see some of the rooms were old and just not to my taste at all. The lady i spoke to was very helpful and allocated us into 102. The room was lovely - large, all modern, and such a comfy bed! Check in was slow, but apart from that the staff seemed nice. We didn't have breakfast as I didn't fancy paying another ten pound per person on top of what I had already paid. Overall, it was good, and I was pleased. Would return again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and so pleased you had a good stay. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A wonderful characterful building, lovely comfy rooms and a superb breakfast. Highly recommended, bit of a crappy outlook from the front entrance but only a cheap taxi ride into town. My only criticism would be that because we were in the lower ground floor 'M' section we had no opening windows and after leaving the lift we had to lug our suitcases a long way up and down many sets of stairs but apart from that it was great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nicholas O, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for a great review. Please note in city centre hotels it is quite normal to have the ground floor bedrooms secure. Kind Regards, Richard Morrell, General Manager.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have always wanted to stay here and finally in July I stayed for three nights. It is an amazing building transformed into an hotel. Obviously this requires a bit of adaptation - the building is like a maze but it is nice and interesting also for this reason. So no problems for that. I was given a room high up with the pigeons; with an amazing view of the tower and the neon of PALACE... ok that is also fine. BUT the a/c was broken and the room had no air and was REALLY HOT!!! I had to wait ages until I got a fan as they could not change my room! The day after they changed my room; I was given a massive room fit for a queen. The receptionists were really apologetic and helpful; but I had a really frustrating first night nonetheless. This could have just been a one-off. How many days of hot weather is one going to get in Manchester really? BUT I am sorry the problem is that this is NOT a 4 stars hotel. The room (also the one for the queen) had only small basic shampoo and soap, no conditioner, no body lotion, no bathrobe. Also, no table light so forget working on the desk in the room. No information about the hotel and/or Manchester or writing pad and pen. Very expensive internet access. Fridge useless with no drinks and snacks. Breakfast low quality, hardly any selection of fresh fruits and the only good thing is the eggs cooked on the spot.

Overall, a fantastic location in a beautiful building but very poor quality! It needs investments to improve basic services and make it into a proper 4 stars. I am really sorry to say that I would not go back.

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently ran a course in the business centre. The staff were exceptionally helpful. I left behind my coat & laptop lead in the conference room. It was posted to me first class the next day

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and so pleased you enjoyed are excellent conference facilities and experienced a high level of customer care from the team at The Palace Hotel Manchester. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
near brimingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The only positives to say is that the building itself is a real beauty.

Unfortunately the rooms are a different story. I stayed here for one night with my partner and it was deeply unpleasant. The room had no air con, the window wouldn't/couldn't open, the net curtain was filthy, the bath had the hairs of the last occupant in it and the room needed a food polish.

There was no point in complaining - the staff we did speak with didn't have the best grasp of English. We gave up trying.

The only plus was the breakfast was plentiful, although not a reason to part with your money. If I had the choice, I'd admire the facade and move on. This ain't no hotel to be stopping in. Sorry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review, the housekeeping standards described are disappointing to note and will contact you direct to apologise and reassure you this is not the norm.
Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here on the night of 16 July. This was the day of our son's graduation and the following day was our wedding anniversary. On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant young man. I enquired if there was any chance of an upgrade in view of our impending celebrations. We couldn't check in until later because as it was midday the room was not ready yet, however, he said he would see what he could do. Our bags were stored for us and on arriving back after a busy afternoon, an equally pleasant young lady on reception arranged for us to have a lovely room on the 4th floor. It was next to the clock tower facing the front and was large & comfortable, nicely decorated and had a seating area by the window with a sofa, two armchairs and coffee table. There was a flat screen tv, plenty of wardrobe space, tea/coffee making facilities & air con. The spacious bathroom was reached via a little staircase, quite quirky! Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the staff were well mannered, bright, chirpy, and attentive. We also had drinks in the bar on a couple of occasions and although pricey as with all hotels, no complaints there either. This was our second visit to the Palace and we found it to be good value for money having obtained deals via Trivago.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I was so pleased that you returned to the Palace Hotel again and had a great stay. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!