“Good overnight stay at the Palace Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good overnight stay at the Palace Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at the Palace hotel for one night with my daughter, it is quite well situated, we were a little worried when we had to go downstairs to our room but our room was great, very spacious and very clean, we had breakfast included in the deal and this was also very good. The Palace has a feeling of a grand hotel and is lovely. I would recommend The Palace, nice to stay in a traditional hotel, makes a nice change from the "modern"

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richard M, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your great review about your stay at the Palace Hotel Manchester. I am so pleased you enjoyed the wonderful surroundings so sadly lacking from a modern building.
Richard Morrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
matfen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Was disappointed with this hotel, won't be going back. Reception area is large and rather grand, but nothing else going for it. We had a room on the Mezzanine level, it smelt of urine. It was a hot day and the windows wouldn't open so felt stuffy and claustrophobic. We asked to be moved, the staff were apologetic but the hotel was full so we had to stay put unfortunately. The furniture was chipped and scratched, there was the odd mould spot on the walls, it felt rather dingy. Breakfast was ok but nothing special. The hotel is in a good central location, but there are plenty of others nearby so would recommend travellers to look at other options.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies and I will contact you direct to discuss. It is the norm for hotels in city centers to ensure ground floor windows dont open. I also can reassure all future guests are housekeeping standards are very high and rooms are thoroughly checked and not allowed to be let in the condition described in this review.
durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed one night hotel was well located as gets its customers a discount on car parking as it doesn't have it's own. This plus a low down room on a noisy street was the only minus. But the hotel can't help the street being noisy. Room was very good with comfortable beds and good facilities in them. Staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was really enjoyable. Would recommend the hotel to anyone and I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review and so pleased you will recommend our hotel in the future.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Attended a charity event and therefore was given a discount rate of £85, as a Mancunian I knew this building well and was looking forward to the stay. For £85 I have stayed in much better hotels. In such an impressive buildiing the reception area is a disappointment, no lifts to room and had to find it tucked away - the lift was filthy. On arrival in our room it was clearly in need of refurbishment, chairs worn out, all furniture scratched and badly worn, television had very poor reception and the handle on the wardrobe was hanging off - little attention to detail. In the morning the breakfast service was very poor, shown to our table and told someone would be around to provide us with tea or coffee. We were roundly ignored until I had to shout to get attention and a drink - I ordered tea and was brought coffee. Arriving at the buffet there was fresh bread available, however it was under lights, sliced and going crispy, on asking the person seriving all we got was 'that is what the lights do'.
Then we tried to get our full English everything was empty, nobody replenishing, and when they did for a queue of around 12 or so brought enough for about 3, all the sauce boats were empty with the area messy. There was no member of staff clearing tables so we had to eat on a tiny tables with a growing mountain of pots. On reporting poor service to reception on check out - it was Oh and I was given a card and told put it on Tripadvisor.
Finally there is a need to address personal hygiene with some of the staff as a couple were unpleasant to be near.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I found they didn't have a trace of my booking. Not the best of starts, but the reception staff were polite and efficient, and quickly resolved the problem. They even upgraded my room.

The hotel itself is well located, and a stunning building. Despite its listed status, it could still be sympathetically renovated - in places this has been done, and the result is magnificent. But sadly the rooms and corridors just appear shabby. You can't do this on the cheap - to do it throughout the hotel would doubtless cost millions. Although I can understand why more work wasn't done - it didn't help my experience.

My luxury room was large and clean - but furnishing and decor was run down. Bed was comfortable but I had a restless night due to noise from the aircon/heater system that I couldn't change.

Breakfast was a disappointment - buffet style, which normally helps a speedy breakfast for business travellers, however I was stood in a queue for nearly 10 mins while disinterested staff wandered around and only one staff member was seating guests. Throughout breakfast, no-one asked me whether I wanted tea /coffee, and no matter what I didn't I couldn't get their attention. Worse still, the bacon and sausages were stone cold - I think the heated containers had gone out. Again, no staff accessible to mention it to.

I won't be back. There are much better options within the city.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stay a night at the palace hotel on business. I asked for a quiet room during checking and was told I will have one but unfortunately not the case. If I stay a few more days, I will be able to write a thesis on Doppler effect! Having said that, it is the city centre and high traffic noise is expected but surely a room facing the rear side should be available? I did not asked for a change as I was already exhausted.
The room was nice with high ceiling and a rather modern bathroom. Some decor looks dated but fine by me. Breakfast was fine, expected in typical English breakfast.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
South East,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights at £179 per night. Room was 3rd floor 300-320. It was a grand looking room with a nice high ceiling. The room was pleasant but no air conditioning and a broken safe. For that price I feel that 30mins of slow free wifi is poor. Using my phone as a hotspot was much faster. Soundproofing of windows is poor due to age of building so lots of street notice.

Reception and Bar areas are beautiful and grand but I feel that the room could have been better. The Excalibur rooms are I think better as a colleague stayed in one and it had air con.

Check in seemed a slow process was queuing for 10-15mins to check in.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!