“Lovely building but disappointing room” 3 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Lancs
“Lovely building but disappointing room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently had a two night stay when I went to support friends running the Manchester Marathon. The building itself is fabulous with wonderful architecture but I was very disappointed with my room - I asked for a quiet room and got one on the 4th floor overlooking the main street. It was single-glazed and so I could hear the trains, even through the night. The room itself was a twin room and plenty of space but is in need of TLC. I'm fussy about my bedding and the bedding was of poor quality and the pillows dreadful - I had to use 3 of them, just to feel as if I had a pillow under me. With it being a big room, it felt cold all the time, so I had to leave the little portable radiator on all the time to take the chill off the air. The windows were filthy with lots of black mould around the edges - which came off easily when I wiped it, so all they need is a good cleaning to improve the look of them but obviously the cleaners just do the very basics.
On the plus-side, I thought breakfast was very good with plenty of choice but again, like someone else has mentioned, a few of the staff stood almost next my table chatting, which I too found uncomfortable. I managed to get a good deal for the two nights but I really wouldn't have been impressed if I'd had to pay more. Good location though for Oxford St station and for the trams, and for shopping generally.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear HawkeyeLancs,
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback following your stay back in April.
Delighted to hear that you loved the building and its fabulous architecture, which is truly stunning.
I am sorry that you found your room on the fourth floor was a little noisy and cold. As we are grade II* listed, we do have a number of restrictions on us with regards to making certain changes and this can affect the installation of secondary glazing and air conditioning units.
I have passed on your comments regarding the quality of the pillows and the cleanliness of your room to the housekeeping team for them to investigate and resolve the issues you highlighted. On a more positive note, am glad you enjoyed the plentiful breakfast.
We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here last weekend for the Palace Theatre to watch Dirty Dancing. Theatre right next door so excellent location. Hotel has no parking but NCP just across the road. £18 for 24 hours. Had a large twin room with a high ceiling. Bathroom a little dated and old fashioned but bedroom nicely decorated and plenty of room to move about. Breakfast was lovely the next day and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The bar is great - enjoyed some cocktails in there the night before and was pretty quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lindsey_singleton,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us here at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
Delighted to hear that overall you loved the hotel and found the team to be very friendly and helpful. You are quite right, our Tempus Bar is a great place to relax and unwind both before and after a show at the theatre.
We very much look foward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked an 'Executive Double Room' as a treat for my husband's birthday and we have recently returned from our trip.

The hotel itself is late Victorian and it was converted into a hotel in the 1990s. The decor in the bar and reception is beautiful but the same cannot be said of the room that we stayed in.

'Executive' just meant more floor space as the items could have been placed in a 'normal' double room so no advantage felt there. The windows were single-glazed and were opposite the side of the Palace Theatre so not a great view either. The constant street noise was a distraction especially at night when the revellers outside could be heard quite clearly. The ceiling above the bath had flaking paint; the towels were mismatched and one of these was of an inferior quality; there was no fridge; no control over the heating system when it felt a bit chilly of an evening so we were unable to put any heating on; the bed was soft; the suede chair and bench were clean but stained black in places, especially on the arms of the chair; the only cereal choice one day for breakfast was Rice Krispies without a note of explanation or apology; on two occasions the staff stood near our table and chatted making us feel a bit awkward while we were having breakfast and on one occasion the cooked breakfast selection was already cleared away by 9.45am meaning that I was unable to have a cooked breakfast that morning.

The good things: tea and coffee were replenished daily; there were free toiletries i.e. shampoo and bath/shower gel; there was an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe; there were spare pillows; the staff were friendly and even arranged for some cakes and chocolates to be in our room on our arrival for my husband's birthday.

Room Tip: A double room is just as good as an executive room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bermonseybabe,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with an online review following your recent stay with us.
Delighted to hear that you felt the decor in both the reception and in the Tempus Restaurant and Bar area was beautiful, and that the staff were friendly and that you liked the little touch of cakes and chocolates being placed in your room for your husbands birthday.
Its such a shame then that the noise from outside and some other examples of poor attention to detail have affected your overall view.
I have passed on your comments to the relevant teams and have asked them to investigate. As we are grade II* listed we do have some restrictions on us with regards to the installation of secondary glazing over the large sash windows.
Thank you again for your honest feedback and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed here whilst visiting for a concert, we chose this as there was a very good rate for the 2 nights provided we paid in advance which was the main reason we chose here. The hotel is in an amazing location, easy access to Deansgate, Northern Quarter etc and looks really really nice when you enter the hotel. Sadly, after this grand entrance things started to go wrong. We were in room 5116 which appeared to be the room that is furthest from the reception, after navigating the no doubt once amazing corridors we arrived at our room which was dated to say the least. We weren't a massive fan of it but thought we would pop out to eat and then get an early night. Upon return to the room it dawned on us that the noise was ridiculous, as we were right opposite the train station there was constant noise, initially we thought this would die down once the final trains had left.... it didn't. Trains were running all through the night, alongside that there was also the fact that we could hear those on nights out screaming in the street but, instead of making an issue we decided to pick it up with reception the next morning. Having stayed the Macdonald Picadilly a number of times now and having had rooms at the station side this was a bit of a surprise for it to be so noisy in comparison.

I headed to reception and explained the issues with the room which to their credit we were immediately moved and upgraded this time to what I believe was an executive double (room 325). Vast difference immediately, the room wasn't tired, it was modern, in the newer part of the hotel but strangely it didn't seem to have air conditioning. So we headed out for the day. On our return it became obvious that the walls were completely paper thin, we could literally hear people in the next room talking, we didn't see much point in raising this issue as we imagined this would be the case in all of the newer rooms.

As part of the hotel there is also the bar Tempus, which I believe is attached to a number of the Principal Hayley group hotels. This bar/restaurant sits in the huge hall on the ground floor and to be honest looks really nice, however don't look at the ceiling! Alongside that was the shock of buying two drinks a pint of Peroni £5 and a vodka (Smirnoff Red 25ml so not the high end stuff at all) £4.20 and diet coke (£2.00) coming in at £11.20!! I understand that this is a hotel bar in the main but the prices are more reflective of those charged in the City of London (a pint of Peroni at the Pitcher and Piano at Cornhill is only £4.95 and the one in Manchester £4.55)

All in all not a great stay and I have to say I don't think I will stay at the hotel again. It might be a good time for the PH group to fix the ceiling in the bar and to update the really really dated rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kjrscouse,
Thank you for taking the time to provide an online review following your recent stay with us.
Delighted to hear that you found the location ideal and felt the entrance and Tempus Restaurant and Bar were very grand.
The hotel has been carefully converted over the years and much of the buildings original character and features still remain. I appreciate that the grade II* listed interior which in a number of areas is vast swathes of ceramic brick, which are not to everyones taste.
I am pleased that you were moved on request to a contemporary room, was really surprised however about the comment of being able to hear people speaking in the adjacent room, as this is something that has not been highlighted before.
Our bar prices are comparable with that of other city centre hotels.
Thank you again for feedback.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We left it right to the last minute to book our hotel for one night in Manchester, but could not have been happier with our choice of hotel. The location of the Palace hotel is great- a short 10 minute walk from Manchester piccadilly and literally over the road from the Oxford Road station. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building with an extremely impressive entrance/ reception area. We were checked in swiftly- a surprise as we were 2 hours early for check in! Our room was fantastic- the ceilings were easily 20 foot high, the room was clean and well laid out with amazing period features- tiled walls and fantastic floor to ceiling windows (I'm a sucker for period features!) and tea making facilities. The bathroom was basic with a shower over the bath, but perfectly fine for our needs and the pressure on the shower was fantastic & plenty of hot water.

The hotel staff were all very friendly and on hand to give tips on where to locally to eat- they also booked a taxi for us to get to the Etihad stadium for the evening to get to our gig. The attached Tempus bar was lovely to sit and have a couple of of drinks before bed when we returned late that evening. We chose not to have the buffet breakfast at the hotel after reading a couple of reviews and found a fantastic place on the way back to Piccadilly station the next morning called Olive Del, where we had huge mugs of tea and bacon sandwiches on huge doorstops of bread & read the papers (bliss) for a fraction of the price of the hotel breakfast- but I think thats just personal preference!

All in all- I can't recommend this hotel highly enough- great value for money- excellent location close to both stations and right in the centre of town- 5 mins walk to the Gay village and around 25 minute walk back from Etihad stadium. Will definitely be returning should we come back to Manchester.

Room Tip: We were in room 170- lovely room at the back of the hotel away from the main road
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jen_Scot_1,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide an online review following your recent stay with us here at The Palace Hotel in the heart of Manchester.
Absolutely delighted to hear that you loved the hotel with its amazing period features, 20 ft high bedroom ceiling and huge sash windows. Our location is very central and means that you can get to your intended city centre venue with ease, even on foot if you choose!
Its particularly nice to hear that all the staff were helpful and friendly and were on hand to give tips on our city centres 'gems'.
Thank you again for your kind words, I have passed these on to the team and we all very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel is immense with rooms dotted around this cavernous hotel in a layout akin to a rabbit warren. They appear clean, decently spacious and well laid out inside and public spaces bar/restaurant, lobby) are impressive in size, height and decor.
Service can sometimes be a bit slow (reception and breakfast) but generally ok.

Room Tip: Internal facing rooms quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Travelling G,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with an online review following your recent stay with us here at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
I am delighted that overall you felt the hotel was impressive and that your room was well laid out, clean and spacious.
I am sorry that you felt the service was a little slow at both reception and at breakfast. I have passed these comments on to my colleagues for them to review.
We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Palace Hotel in Manchester. It is a lovely, traditional hotel. The rooms (or at least the room we got) was spacious with huge windows, really clean and plenty of tea and coffee replenished daily. Food in restaurant was great too. The only downside is that there isn't an on site car park but we found one just around the corner. Would definitely recommend it and would stay there again if going to Manchester.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear VickiP145,
I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had a fabulous stay with us and that you found your room to be really clean, spacious and that you loved the huge windows and the food in our Tempus Restaurant.
Although we dont have on-site car parking we do have a preferential rate with Euro Car Parks whom are situated behind the hotel.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Palace Hotel on your next visit to Manchester.
Richard

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!