“Fantastic architecture, excellent location and service” 4 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Iver, United Kingdom
“Fantastic architecture, excellent location and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Palace for 3 nights over the May Day bank holiday weekend. A friend invited us up north for an impromptu visit; I booked through lastminute.com and had to check the price several times as it was coming in at just over £59 a night which I couldn't quite believe for an unplanned stay on a bank holiday weekend in Manchester (let alone a 4* one...budget hotels were well over double this nightly rate).

The hotel is ideally located for the Palace Theatre and less than 5-minutes' walk from the end of Canal Street and its pubs, bars and restaurants. The city centre is about 10 minutes further on with easy access to the Arndale Centre for shopping and the Printworks for eating and/or drinking. We also took a 20-minute ride on the 250 bus from right outside the hotel to the intu Trafford Centre which has pretty much all the shops, restaurants and cinemas you could ever need. This cost just £4 return and if (unlike me!) you happen to be a United fan it also goes to Old Trafford. We didn't use the car at all so in some respects we could have left it at one of the many park & ride facilities but the hotel has a deal with a Euro Car Parks site a short walk away giving you 15% off the daily rate of £10.

The hotel is really striking from the exterior and when you walk in the reception area is just incredible - you really feel like you're walking into somewhere special. The receptionist gave us a very warm, friendly welcome and all the staff I encountered throughout the stay were very professional, even the poor night receptionist who had to remind me what room I was in as I'd left my card behind.

After such a good review you may be wondering why I've rated the hotel 4 and not 5/5...on their own these maybe don't sound like much but altogether they raised a couple of questions for me as this is a 4* property (I'm also basing the review on the fact that the majority of guests will be paying a lot more than I did). My main concern was the empty, lipstick-stained plastic champagne glass sticking out from under the bed when we checked in; this really shouldn't have been missed when the room was cleaned. There was also an unusual stain on the curtains. The sanitary disposal bag holder was stuck to the wall in the bathroom with double-sided tape. Well, I say stuck but the reason I know it was taped on is because it kept falling off. The plug in the sink wouldn't stay open, and the cold water wouldn't run cooler than lukewarm even after several minutes; a glass of warm water isn't that refreshing. There is a safe in the room but it wasn't available to be used as it was broken and as other reviewers have commented the windows don't close properly so there's a draught and some minimal traffic noise (although the draught was welcome on a hot night with no air-conditioning in the room).

At the time I'd have felt churlish mentioning these things as I noticed them across the 3-day stay, but I'd started this review giving 5/5 and I unfortunately think the issues experienced (which I would class as pretty basic musts) mean this isn't a fair rating. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the hotel again, but I might just make a cheeky request for one of the newly refurbished rooms that other reviewers are raving about!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Andy C,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with some online feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
I am delighted that overall you had a great stay with us and that you found our central location ideal for the city centres main attractions and yet close enough to be able to get to other venues such as Manchester United and the Trafford Centre with ease.
I am particularly pleased to here that you found all the staff that you came into contact with very warm, welcoming and professional.
I am sorry that your room appears to not have been adequately checked prior to your arrival and I have passed this on to the Housekeeper, as this and the other observations should have been picked up as part of the room checking before the rooms are returned to the system as available.
You are quite correct that the hotel is indeed stiking both externally and internally and is a fantastic piece of victorian history.
Thank you again for your kinds words and for your constructive feedback about what we can improve upon.
We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

It looks grand, but peer beneeth the surface and it shows signs of being tired - cracked flooring in reception, damaged paintwork etc......

After an initial problem booking in I was given a room - 116 (beware) - eventually I found it down a coridoor labled for recycling waste!

It was a disgrace - shabby would be the best I could say, i really didn't want to know what the stains on the chairs were, or the carpet.....the mirror frame was hanging off....... I asked to be relocated.

This was done, although I did not appreciate the "what was Sir looking for exactly?" comment from the young pup on reception.

My replacement room was much better - although still a bit rough around the edges.....having stayed with this chain before what is it about dim room lighting???

Breakfast was fine - although choice was a little less than some other Hotels in the area offer.....

Overall - could do better.

Room Tip: Avoid room 116 - and if possible ask not to face the station as one of our party did and had a very...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul D,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with some feedback, following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you felt the room you were initially allocated was unsuitable and its proximity to our green environmental/recycling area not ideal. As a team we are extremely conscious of the environment and have a record of zero to landfill recently which is a key achievement.
I have checked the room you were allocated and have arranged for the items which were stained to be deep cleaned.
Thank you again for your constructive comments.
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Such a shame to find this beautiful hotel not as good as it could so easily be. We asked to change rooms due to a faulty sink and phone, the reception staff were immediately apologetic and we got moved to another room. Unfortunately the room hadn't been cleaned properly, we found the previous occupiers toiletries in the bathroom, we suspect that the towels hadn't been changed and within 10 minutes of being in the room, house keeping let themselves in which confirmed our suspicions that the room hadn't been cleaned to completion. Reception were informed and we asked for a change of towels.
To be fair to the hotel we were offered a 20% discount on the room and a free breakfast as compensation.
Breakfast was probably the most disappointing, had to pick up at least 6 glasses from the pile before i found one clean enough to drink from, the jams on the table had been opened,used, closed and placed back in the pot, the butter was the same.
Its really disappointing to find a hotel that has a fantastic ambience, lovely rooms and for the most part helpful staff, (except in the bar where they were pretty uninterested in serving or helping), that is let down by a lack of attention to details that you would absolutely expect from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Diggerpanda,
Thank you for taking the time to provide some constructive feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that overall you found our team to be helpful, room lovely and felt the hotel had a fantastic ambience.
Its such a shame as it appears as though your experience has been somewhat marred by examples of as you say a lack of attention to detail. I have passed these on to the Quality Team for them look into ensuring that such lapses can be avoided through training.
I am sorry that these incidents have left you feeling somewhat disappointed and hope that we get the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the near future and demonstrate our true colours.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm not really sure how to expand on the title to be honest.

I've seen a few negative posts on here - perhaps all those things exist - but for me, I didn't see any of them at all. My room was huge and pristine. It had just about every amenity I could desire including (wait whilst I contain my pounding heart) an iron and ironing board! :)

Breakfast was excellent. Staff were very nice. Gave me a nice wake up call because my phone's battery had died.

Negatives? um. There was no hair-dryer. As a short haired chap, this caused me zero inconvenience. And the windows were not soundproof, so there was a little noise from the street below. I stress, "little".

Best of all... the price. The reason for my journey was that I was attending a course at the nearby Hilton Deansgate, which I believe is also 4 star. Hilton was £120. A nearby Premier Inn was £69. The Palace was £69, with breakfast.

Seriously, I had a great stay and will book again :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tracks 1984,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us here at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
I am absolutely delighted to hear that it was your 'Best ever stay at a hotel' and that you found the breakfast excellent, staff all very nice and the hotel excellent value for money.
The majority of guest rooms here at the hotel are indeed huge, most you will be pleased to hear still have an iron and board (I too am still a fan of them!)
Hope the course went well.
We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Palace Hotel in the near future.
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Fantastic building, had a real sense of occasion when you walk in the open entrance and large glass dome in the ceiling is amazing. The restaurant/bar is pricey but well worth n and breakfast was brilliant.

The staff were polite and the room was large, the shower powerful and nice and warm. The decor in the rooms is "old fashioned" but that is in keeping with the building, not dirty but old style.

Mattress could have been a bit more comfortable but I slept like a baby.

Great location for anyone going to the palace theatre.

Room Tip: Haggle with the staff. I got free breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. By far not the best hotel in Manchester in many ways, but there's just something about the place. The building is lovely and the rooms are very nice though a little dark. There is a particular ambience to the palace that lends a great charm to this hotel that makes it my favourite place to stay in Manchester. What it lacks in many aspects as a hotel it makes up in character as a building.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear annieandchannie,
I am delighted that you love this hotel. We love it too!
It has a personality and charm all of its own and its great to hear that its your favourite place to stay in Manchester.
We look forward to welcoming you back to your favourite place again soon.
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was booked into the Palace for one night at short notice for business. The building itself provides a grand victorian experience with old stone walls, high ceilings and stained glass. When I went up to my room (which due to the layout of the building can be quite challenging to find) it was large and spacious but cold. The television screen was damaged, the breakfast card on the back of the door had been filled in over a month previously and the wardrobe door handle was broken. I was also very surprised that there was only 30 mins free WiFi - quite astonishing in this day and age for a 4 star hotel!
I went back downstairs and the concierge very helpfully tried to arrange another room. Unfortunately, whilst this time the television worked, the room was half the size of the one I had just left. Whilst I wasn't expecting an upgrade, I would expect a hotel to try to ensure that a dissatisfied guest was moved to a room at least as nice as the one they'd just left.
I ate in the restaurant in the evening and had a lovely meal. However, the breakfast was very disappointing. I sat there for 15 minutes without being offered any tea or coffee and had to go and look for someone - the waitress I found then snapped at me that she would be with me shortly. Although they offered a l carte breakfast as well as a buffet, goodness knows how you were supposed to order because nobody gave me the opportunity to ask! The buffet was poor and the scrambled egg seriously over cooked. The fried eggs were all hard - even when they had been freshly replaced.
I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!