“Excellent value for money” 5 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Oldham, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

After reading many reviews on here I was dubious about booking the palace for my boyfriends 40th birthday as he is somewhat of a hotel snob and knows his stuff! I found a deal on groupon, £99 for 2 nights for an executive double room with welcome drinks on arrival. I also had the midland and the Lowry hotel in mind but they were much more expensive so I hesitantly went ahead and booked here. From the moment of booking over the phone the customer service was excellent. We arrived to check in, they had note it was his birthday and were nothing but helpful. We nervously went up to our room to find It was lovely. Modern trendy decor, very clean with cosy soft robes and slippers. The next day on his actual birthday they made us a champagne breakfast and later in the day surprised us with complimentary cake and strawberrys with 'happy birthday' piped onto the edges of the plate. We couldn't have asked for more, pleasant and helpful staff, and those added little extras that made our stay special.

• Stayed February 2013
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear L17511,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed his 40th birthday celebration and you felt the little touches made all the difference. I am also pleased that you found all the staff that you came into contact with to be pleasant and helpful. Online reviews are an essential part of any businesses feedback and we utilise this information to enable us to look at ways in which we can improve all aspects of our hotel and the guests experience, last year over 100,000 guests stayed with us.
I very much hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you both back in the near future.
Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the Palace in December for a birthday treat like we have done for the last few years now. A warm welcome on arrival & were able to stow our bags whilst heading off into the city. Our room was spacious, well furnished & clean. The bathroom was was clean with the obligatory compliment of towels & toiletries. In fact all the rooms we have stayed in have been amazing. The Palace is ideally located within easy walking distance of the city centre & located close to good restaurants, pubs & bars. It is a very welcome refuge on cold winter nights with a pleasent bar for early evening drinks. Breakfast is served in the raised dining area & is a real treat for those breakfast efficionardoe's amongst us. Staff are pleasent, helpful & accommodating. Yes would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Paddy Annie A,
Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review following your stay with us at the end of last year. As you have highlighted we are ideally located in the city centre within easy reach of Manchester's finest attractions and shops. I am delighted you found a warm welcome, and the team pleasant, helpful and accommodating. Thank you for your kind words.
We very much look forward to seeing you later this year on your next stay and some more 'Northern Hospitality'.
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Palace several times before.....but always during the summer. January exposed the inadequacy of the heating system. The hotel did have the presence of mind to anticipate the problem by providing a free-standing heater at one side of the king-sized bed. To be fair, this was the only downside to my stay. Excellent breakfasts and lunches, as always. The decor is distinctive; perhaps not everyone's 'cup of tea'. You really MUST like tiles to fully appreciate a lot of the public areas. It does have a grandeur, which many will find impressive. Heating deficiencies aside, the rooms are spacious, often grand and elegant. The location is very good; ten minutes walk to Chinatown, Picadilly, GMEX...five more to Arndale Shopping Centre, the Printworks and Royal Exchange Theatre.

Room Tip: When booking in winter, ask about the heating. The heaters provided are very good!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul H,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your stay with us in January.
You are quite correct regarding your observations about the buildings decor being 'distinctive'. The hotel does have large areas of tiled or glazed brick, which was used in the Victorian times by architects such as Alfred Waterhouse whom designed and built this grade II* listed building and many others including the Natural History Museum in London.
I am delighted you found the breakfast and lunches excellent and the location ideal and the provision of an additional heater in your room helpful.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
north east
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

iv stayed in the palace before and yet again a brill weekend stay staff so friendly ready to help and our room was big a cosy we had breakfeast which consists of pastrys cearls toast and hot buffey all in all loved the stay very much defo be going back in the future ps pillows and towels were fluffy and bouncy just how i like them ha

Room Tip: good for drinking and shopping
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear coco18 North East,
Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay here at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
I am delighted you had such a brilliant stay and found our staff to be helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed our breakfast offering.
We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Good check in experience. Been here before, using 'cheap' agency websites, and the feeling is you get given a room in the bowels of the hotel on every occasion.

Double room was large (room 4) and had two double beds. Nicely and smartly furnished and presented up to a good standard. One small radiator to heat a large room not so good. Aircon unit was dirty and didn't work (in hot or cold mode). Bathroom good and very powerful shower. Tea and coffee making kit good. Mattresses had seen better days and were very flat in places. TV, whilst flat screen, was poor. No list of channels, no Freeview channels even, no teletext style service so no idea what programmes were on.

Bar overpriced but to be expected. Breakfast was pretty good all told, decent choice, and reasonable quality but only if included in your rate, never worth paying for separately.

Location is good, especially for the Palace Theatre, and is adjacent to Oxford Road train station. Given the proximity to the railway line quite a few rooms will be exposed to train noise.

Overall a reasonable hotel at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Not in the basement and away from the railway line.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear andrew1211,
I am delighted that you felt your stay was a pretty good experience, and that you found your room to be smartly furnished and presented up to a good standard. We have checked the aircon unit this morning and this seems to be operating correctly and we have replaced the TV guide which was missing, appreciate you letting us know about those.
I am glad you found breakfast a good experience with a decent choice.
Thank you again for your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Heckmondwike, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Just had a conference here the past two days, I was excited to finally see what the hotel was like, the foyer is impressive but it ended there for me, admittedly I did not stay in the hotel itself but after seeing photos of the rooms I was not impressed, the whole place felt dated and worn, service didn't seem that good and the food served was of a low standard, it's certainly not somewhere I would now think of staying in future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RCGrove, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Spendleb48,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with some feedback following your attendance as a day delegate at a recent conference. As the hotel has been carefully converted over the years from its original use as the Refuge Assurance Building, I appreciate that the building can be sometimes viewed as dated, though the Victorian architecture is simply beautiful and the style is reminiscent of an era when grandeur was at the heart of everything the Victorian designers did.
I am sorry that you felt the food and service were not what you would have expected.
Thank you again for your comments.
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I read negative reviews before visiting the hotel and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. A lot of reviews suggest the hotel is 'shabby', very few mention the amazing architecture or the copious original features. The hotel is quite a feast for those interested in the historical nature of the building. It is an incredibly grand building, some of the older areas do look like they need some updating, but I wouldn't downgrade the hotel because of this. My room was very modern and clean. There was only one real disappointment and that was the seal at the bottom of the shower door was visibly contaminated with mould. We have this issue at home, and these trims do need removing regularly and bleaching to remove this mould. I was at a work function, so had asked for my meals to be Gluten/Wheat/Dairy/Sugar free, unfortunately the chef served me fruit for a starter and fruit for a dessert, can't say that this showed much imagination. The serving staff also muddled up the special diet foods and I was served fruit in syrup, this didn't help my blood sugar levels tbh... a complete comedy of errors! I never did get the peppermint tea I asked for on the last day at lunch either :-)
Overall I wouldnt say an unpleasant experience, but I do feel the four star status is a little overzealous.

Room Tip: 5221 ... lovely room,aside from when they empty the bottle bins!!! and apart from the shower curtai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sara D,
Thank you for taking the rime and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay here with us at The Palace Hotel in Manchester.
I am delighted that you were pleasantly surprised when you arrived at the hotel, and that you fully appreciate the buildings stunning original features and architecture.
Alfred Waterhouse was one of the most celebrated architects of the Victorian era, having not only designed a number of beautiful buildings here in Manchester, but several other iconic sites in the UK - most notably The Natural History Museum in London.
I have passed on your observation with regards to the shower screen seal and this has now been addressed. I am sorry that we seemed to get your dietary requirement request confused, I know that we had over 40 different dietary requirements from the conference you were attending, so we should have been able to accommodate any eventuality.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Richard

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!