“THE TRAVELODGE IS BETTER” 1 of 5 stars

The Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Street, Manchester M6O 7HA, England   |
Ranked #65 of 117 hotels in Manchester
manchester
“THE TRAVELODGE IS BETTER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at the Palace a first time few months ago during a business trip. My stay at the hotel was so horrible that I warned my travel agent to never book me there ever again.
Unfortunately, this december my assistant booked a room again for me at the Palace hotel for over 10 nights.
All the hotels were fully booked in Manchester so I haven't any other possibility than to stay there.
Upon arrival, I asked the lovely person at the reception to make sure to not put me in the same room as I was last time, as I couldn't sleep at all.
She offered me "one of our best room", which was a tiny room with no heater...
In the middle of the first night, someone, drunk, tried to break into my room. I'm a woman, alone, and couldn't sleep all night after this, I tried to call the reception several times but nobody ever picked up the phone.
A few hours later, after people screaming in the hall, glass bottles left in front of my room and people vomiting, I went to the lobby and complained to the manager in duty about everything that happened to me, her answer was "Yes, it's xmas season, we have xmas parties, what were you expecting?" I was scandalized. Nowhere in the world, a hotel manager would have answered this.
During my stay the hotel was a complete mess. Hundreds of cigarette butts in front of the main door (and I'm a smoker myself, but I usually have the decency to use ashtrays), empty liquors bottles in the hallways, the floor was disgusting, it smelled of alcohol and cigarettes everywhere in the building. It was disgusting.

I ordered food on the first night, picked a starter " trio of tomatoes and bufala mozzarella", after an hour of waiting, they basically brought me a dry tomato covered with grated cheese.

The entire experience was ridiculous. I'm staying in hotel all year long for my business, I will never ever come back to this place.

I didn't receive any apology for my horrible stay and I payed over 900£!

I won't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

It doesn't deserve 4 stars.
I saw a couple of old people having to deal with their own luggage on the stairs.
No service, no help, no politeness, the place is a complete mess. It's really sad considering the beauty of the building, but Principal Haley turned it into a travelodge. If at least they were charging the same prices, at least we would know what to expect.

DON'T GO THERE!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,659 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is very very old and scary. The rooms curtains have so much dust and you cannot open the windows because of still water sitting there with garbage and pigeons are constantly pooping there. Let alone the heat never works, they kept telling me they will send a heater. The internet shuts down most of the time. If you are walking thru the halls you need a coat because it is constantly frezzing because the windows are so old they do not keep the wind out. There is no gym in that hotel. The middle of the hotel smells like mold, makes me sick. It is where the other elevator is, by the cylinder staircase. Where it is believed that a woman fell or was pushed, they are not sure, many years ago and died. I have been there a couple of times to see if they have made any changes and no. It is still the same.
I do have to say that the hotel staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: there is no gym there or swimming pool so that does not apply. Sorry
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Great receptionist and felt very welcome with the whole checking in process. My partner had her "Christmas Do" in the hotel from the afternoon end of year speech to the whole sit down meal and disco afterwards. We deceided to make a weekend out of it whilst we had the oppertunity. The hotel was very tidy with a grace of the old and new. The rooms we fantastic as was our treat of breakfast in bed. The hotel bar was the normal for hotels (a bit on the pricey side). The hotel could really do with a layby out side so you can drop of your bags before having to drive around the corner to park in the EuroParks car park. (£13 for 24hrs, reduced to £10 if you get your ticket validated in the hotel on check out) The room had only one issue whilst we were on our stay and that was the lack of lights in the room. Plenty in the bathroom and around the bed but the actual room itself was very dark.
Impression are that I would use the hotel again for the great location in the city centre.
All the staff who I dealt with, thanks for a great couple of nights.

Room Tip: I think asking for a room with an outlook into the street would be lighter than the one we had which...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Denton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Large, well-appointed room (205), with as large a bathroom as I've come across in a long time. Very comfortable, I assume that it is environmental considerations which govern the lighting level.
The large bed gave a very good night's sleep. One negative was the location of the toilet roll (behind your right shoulder). The glazed tiling in the corridors looked a bit odd but is, of course, part of the building's history as a Grade II* listed building.

new mills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed only one night after works party. The main lobby of the hotel is impressive and looks very grand. Booking in was quick, easy and the staff were pleasant and polite. We stayed in room 107 the room was very large
their were portable oil radiators which did keep the room nice and warm which was good because the heating wasn’t on in the hallways and it was fairly cold. the bathroom was very clean the shower presser was a bit harsh.

Overall I think this hotel is worthy of the four stars it boasts, customer service was very good. I paid £89 for that I would expect to find a packet of biscuit to go with my tea in the morning plus only one tea bag each in the room

Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We paid £58, travelled as a couple and stayed for the one night to visit the Christmas market. I booked the hotel a couple of weeks before travelling and had read reviews regarding the hotel before booking.

From the train station the hotel is over the road and from the centre of town its just a couple of minuets walking so location is brilliant. There are loads of pubs and restaurants in the immediate area so you don’t need to walk far from the hotel for food and drink.

From the outside I wasn’t overly impressed, the exterior of the building is quite grubby (windows clearly dirty etc), the building has a large clock tower with the words ‘PALACE’ displayed in neon red however most of the lighting wasn’t working and the flags on the outside of the building were grubby.

The main lobby of the hotel is impressive and looks very grand. Booking in was quick, easy and the staff were pleasant and polite. The walk to our room however didn’t impress me in that the lift was filthy and the floor of the hallway and surrounding area was clearly dirty.

Our room itself was very large with two double beds a large ornate light hanging from the ceiling and a relatively new bathroom. The hotel had thoughtfully provided some portable oil radiators which did keep the room nice and warm which was good because the heating wasn’t on in the hallways and it was fairly cold. The furniture in the room was old and chipped, there was a large window looking out to the side of the hotel that was absolutely filthy. The room itself was fairly clean, certainly the bathroom was very clean. The bathroom floor was tiled and in the centre of the floor the tiles were cracked and a bit of a hazard although a shower mat had been provided so we could easily put that over the cracked tiles.

There was little noise coming from the pubs or the train station so I had a good nights sleep, this was because we stayed at the side of the hotel not facing the pubs and trains.

Overall I don’t think this hotel is worthy of the four stars it boasts, customer service was very good but appearance and cleanliness let the hotel down. I did only pay £58 so all in all the hotel was acceptable for a cheap nights stay in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the pubs and train station
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked the Palace and got a good deal for a Sunday evening including breakfast and I now know why.

Upon arrival we where told we where in Room 101 and went upstairs to unpack. After unpacking and having a quick cup of coffee the noise form downstairs suddenly erupted with music so load the room was vibrating. After 10 minutes we realised we could not stay in this room and rang to reception who told us there was a party downstairs that would go into the night and quote "don’t know why she put you in that room" . We where told to pack up our things and come back to reception. We did and when I went to reception we where just given another key with no apology.
We then went to the 3rd floor where we where given a room that was smaller and a lot more tired than the previous room.

I would have thought that someone could have come to the room to give us the key to the new room with an offer of helping with our bags but nothing not even an apology.

At this point I couldn’t be bothered phoning down again and just wanted to go and shop the reason we came to Manchester in the first place.

When we came back early evening the hotel was in a real mess.

100's of cigarette butts outside the main doors, empty beer bottles everywhere and general mess. I understand there was a big party but knowing this in advance the standards should not drop it was nothing but disgusting.

I will never stay at this hotel again I was bitterly disappointed and to finish off one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have ever seen.

I was assured that a member of management would contact me but as I thought this has never happened.

The Palace Hotel should be ashamed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!