“one nights stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
new mills
“one nights stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed only one night after works party. The main lobby of the hotel is impressive and looks very grand. Booking in was quick, easy and the staff were pleasant and polite. We stayed in room 107 the room was very large
their were portable oil radiators which did keep the room nice and warm which was good because the heating wasn’t on in the hallways and it was fairly cold. the bathroom was very clean the shower presser was a bit harsh.

Overall I think this hotel is worthy of the four stars it boasts, customer service was very good. I paid £89 for that I would expect to find a packet of biscuit to go with my tea in the morning plus only one tea bag each in the room

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We paid £58, travelled as a couple and stayed for the one night to visit the Christmas market. I booked the hotel a couple of weeks before travelling and had read reviews regarding the hotel before booking.

From the train station the hotel is over the road and from the centre of town its just a couple of minuets walking so location is brilliant. There are loads of pubs and restaurants in the immediate area so you don’t need to walk far from the hotel for food and drink.

From the outside I wasn’t overly impressed, the exterior of the building is quite grubby (windows clearly dirty etc), the building has a large clock tower with the words ‘PALACE’ displayed in neon red however most of the lighting wasn’t working and the flags on the outside of the building were grubby.

The main lobby of the hotel is impressive and looks very grand. Booking in was quick, easy and the staff were pleasant and polite. The walk to our room however didn’t impress me in that the lift was filthy and the floor of the hallway and surrounding area was clearly dirty.

Our room itself was very large with two double beds a large ornate light hanging from the ceiling and a relatively new bathroom. The hotel had thoughtfully provided some portable oil radiators which did keep the room nice and warm which was good because the heating wasn’t on in the hallways and it was fairly cold. The furniture in the room was old and chipped, there was a large window looking out to the side of the hotel that was absolutely filthy. The room itself was fairly clean, certainly the bathroom was very clean. The bathroom floor was tiled and in the centre of the floor the tiles were cracked and a bit of a hazard although a shower mat had been provided so we could easily put that over the cracked tiles.

There was little noise coming from the pubs or the train station so I had a good nights sleep, this was because we stayed at the side of the hotel not facing the pubs and trains.

Overall I don’t think this hotel is worthy of the four stars it boasts, customer service was very good but appearance and cleanliness let the hotel down. I did only pay £58 so all in all the hotel was acceptable for a cheap nights stay in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the pubs and train station
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked the Palace and got a good deal for a Sunday evening including breakfast and I now know why.

Upon arrival we where told we where in Room 101 and went upstairs to unpack. After unpacking and having a quick cup of coffee the noise form downstairs suddenly erupted with music so load the room was vibrating. After 10 minutes we realised we could not stay in this room and rang to reception who told us there was a party downstairs that would go into the night and quote "don’t know why she put you in that room" . We where told to pack up our things and come back to reception. We did and when I went to reception we where just given another key with no apology.
We then went to the 3rd floor where we where given a room that was smaller and a lot more tired than the previous room.

I would have thought that someone could have come to the room to give us the key to the new room with an offer of helping with our bags but nothing not even an apology.

At this point I couldn’t be bothered phoning down again and just wanted to go and shop the reason we came to Manchester in the first place.

When we came back early evening the hotel was in a real mess.

100's of cigarette butts outside the main doors, empty beer bottles everywhere and general mess. I understand there was a big party but knowing this in advance the standards should not drop it was nothing but disgusting.

I will never stay at this hotel again I was bitterly disappointed and to finish off one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have ever seen.

I was assured that a member of management would contact me but as I thought this has never happened.

The Palace Hotel should be ashamed.

Black Creek, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Palace Hotel in Manchester is an interesting place to stay. It's origins as a corporate office dating back 100 + years means it is not layed out like most hotels of its size. Nothing really wrong with it just rambling and unusual. My room was definitley different as the toilet was in one room, the sink in another and the bathtub in a third, all with it's own hallway! While the room decor was dated, tiles on the walls, it was quiet and the bed was very comfortable.The location beside the train station is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed for one night in December. I selected the hotel largely because it was so close to Oxford Rd station and there seemed to be a special offer including breakfast.

First of all it is not obvious where one should enter the hotel. The entrance near the Palace Theatre leads directly to the first floor dining room and it is necessary to leave the restaurant and walk down a flight of stairs to reception. I found reception welcoming and courteous and was quickly given a room on the second floor.

The atmosphere was gloomy with poor lighting. The corridors public rooms and bedrooms had what could be best described as a public toilet feel as the walls were all tiled in an old fashioned way. My room however was large with separate en suite toilet, wash basin and bathroom. Unfortunately although the bath was large there was no separate shower and with back problems this was unfortunate.

The breakfast buffet was not very good. The fresh fruit bowl contained canned pears and the orange juice was not freshly squeezed. The eggs swam in a buttery oil mixture. The coffee was bitter.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about your needs. I should have done this.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Blackburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night mid-December for our Christmas overnight stay in Manchester. From the outside, the hotel has loads of Victorian character but it grimy - could do with a good wash. The lobby is dark and quite gloomy.

Our room was on the 4th floor, top floor. It was on the small size, with fairly low ceilings which went into the eaves of the roof. The bed was a double, not what I expected or what I'm used to. Outside sound leaked in through the bedroom window, there was a pub or bar somewhere very close by. The fittings were alright, as was the decor. Clean and fairly modern.

Breakfast service was poor in my opinion. No probs with the staff, there was plenty of them and they were attentive. The quality of the cooked food was the let down, very limited choice too.

In summary, this is an OK choice, but not particularly good value. Its a short walk to the main shopping areas. No facilities to speak of, ie pool etc etc.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Booked a package for £100 pound bed ,breakfast evening meal. Arrived at reception allocated our room on first floor , on entering the room things looked dated and old. The room was clean but not spotless. Room was cold and asked the reception for a fan heater, sorry all out but you could have extra blanckets . This hotel has terrible lighting everywhere dull and dissmal. We asked what time evening meals finish told by reception 9-15 and you dont need to book. Went to pictures returned at 9 to the dinning room to be told you havent booked so theres no tables even though there was very few people in the dinning room. The girl was not interested think she wanted to get going. Had to have a bar snack burger and chips twice ( wow pretty awfull ) £5 pint usuall hotel prices. Told the guy on reception later we couldnt go in to the dinning room even thought we had paid in advance . Said that shouldnt happen and would look into it ( heard nothing ) sleep what sleep . We were next to the metro or train line ( noise all night ) bus stop outside ( noise all night) pub across road open till 1pm ( noise all night) kids argueing all night outside. It Did get quite at 4-15 am up for breakfast at 8 .. Do not book a package here its a waste of £100 pound . I do think they entice you to book a package deal then give you the worst rooms. Book a modern hotel and forget the people who say wow look at the architecture. Went down the stair case from the rooms fantastic stair case if they cleaned the stairs and polished the brass. . Never again ........

Room Tip: Think our room was 1055 . Cant remember from sleep deprevation. Terrible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!