As of July 2007:
- No cable/satellite television, 5 channel terresterial with a few movies
- Standalone air conditioning units not built into the walls.
The output hot air tube having to be fed through the room's window (eg it needs to be open).
- Flaking paint on the wall of the rooms
- The building is obviously ex-office space, as the rooms are small and tightly packed together.
- The corridors look like they haven't been decorated since the 1970s
- Lift takes a long time to climb floors (seems to also pre-date the 1980s)
- £5 surcharge for all room service
- £10 per hour for late checkouts
- Staff were also unfriendly in my experience
I've stayed in less expensive, higher quality hotels in the London's West End.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Piccadilly Gardens in the heart of the city, we’re just five minutes’ walk form Picadilly Railway Station close to some great attractions, the Arndale Centre, China Town the Arena and Manchester central are all a short walk away. The Portland was one of Manchester's first hotels and has a modern feel. Just Gym with a plunge pool and Jacuzzi is available in the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com and Odigeo so you can book your Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Portland By Thistle, Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Thistle Hotel