“Disgraceful. I've seen more appealing youth hostels” 1 of 5 stars

Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 - 5 Portland Street, Manchester M1 6DP, England   |
Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Edinburgh
“Disgraceful. I've seen more appealing youth hostels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

The hotel from the outside and reception looks not bad, although after checking into the bedrooms they were found to be small, cramped shoe boxes that were dirty, disgusting and hot. (The hotel is advertised as having air conditioning, although conveniently, it doesn’t work)

The bathrooms were in drastic need of renovation, the 80’s style mismatching suite was dirty and mouldy. The hot tap in the bath fell off in my hand and the bath was stained.

The restaurant food was ok. I know it is not a fast food restaurant but you would expect to be served a three course meal in less than 3 hours.

I was embarrassed to admit ever staying in this hotel; I’ve stayed in cleaner and more attractive youth hostels. (At least you get your moneys worth at a youth hostel.) Needless to say the business trip was cut short, and the contract with the Thistle hotel ended. We have since been much happier spending our time spent on business staying at Malmaison or The Palace, where the staff are extremely pleasant in beautiful surroundings.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't touch with a bargepole
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

One thing I have learned from my recent experience after staying in this so called 'FOUR STAR' Hotel is to trust reviews by travellers on tripadvisor. My wife and I stayed in this 'Hell on earth' for 3 agonizing nights whilst attending a conference in the first week of July. We are frequent travellers and have stayed in a variety of hotels ranging between 3 AND 5 Star. I wonder how this hotel has been able to maintain its 4 star rating.
The only thing positive about this hotel is its location and the most deceptive is its lobby. All niceness stops at the lobby. We got a double bed on fifth floor.The temperature in Manchester was close to 30 degrees but inside the rooms it was like a furnace. There is no airconditioning or proper ventilation. There are 2 lifts in the lobby, one had no carpet on its floor. The corridors on our floor were very narrow and the door of the room is the smallest, perhaps just complying with the mimimum requirements.The room itself had a double bed, with a table and chair, TV, coffee/tea, iron/ironing board/trouser press, NO BAR, Tv with a few free channels. This left us with very little space to move around. Bathroom was small and worn out, with a very old looking tub and sink.There was a fan in room which would blow out hot air adding to our misery. Since we do not drink I suppose we did not have the luxury of filling ourselves with beer to help sleep (another travellers experience) and therefore had to resort to cold shower 2 -3 times each night to cool off. This was probably the first time in our life we dreaded the idea of going back to our room. Breakfast was OK.
I happened to visit 2 of my colleagues attending the same conference at 2 other hotels in the same area. One was Travel Inn (3*) across from G-MEX and Ibis Hotel (2-3*). I must say I was impressed with Ibis (medium sized clean rooms with airconditioning) and kicked myself for not booking a room here for 1/3rd the price of Thistle. There was no a/c in Travel inn but the rooms were much larger and airy.
I have never written a review before despite travelling frequently but the recent experience in Thistle has forced me to do it. I have tried to be as neutral as possible since my stay at thistle was sponsored and therefore money is not issue here. It is purely on comparison. I have stayed at Thistle in Cardiff before and I feel this hotel gives a bad name to an otherwise quiet a popular chain.
I would advise other prospective travellers to think 10 times before booking this hotel and do not be FOOLED by its 4 star rating. I hope this rating would be reviewed by concerned authorities.

Stayed July 2005
Leicestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Obviously reviews are subjective but one fact that can't be disputed is that the hotel does not have air conditioning. After I checked in (on the hottest day of the year), the reception confirmed although there is an air conditioning panel in each bedroom, the controls only heat the room as the AC was never installed! Because of the hot water pipes and the large size of the hotel, my room was unbearable and I did not get any sleep.

You would have to be very brave to stay in this hotel during the summer!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

We had the misfortune of trying to sleep here on fri 31st june/1st july.the day time temperature was about 30 degrees but up on the 5th floor where we were it was more like 40/50 degrees and even at night it must have been still in the 30's in the rooms
we were told the air conditioning had been broken for some time (all of the rooms had a room fan) but all this did was blow the warm air about without cooling anything and especially us down.
funnily enough the air con in the reception was working fine and to be honest if they would have let me i would have much rather slept there.if it wasn't for all the beer we were drinking i don't think i would have been able to sleep.
how it can claim to be a 4 star hotel when they won't get the air conditioning fixed i just do not know-and its not like you get any money off the price of the room either
it is centrally located but that is all it has going for it-i have stayed in backpacker hostels that have nicer rooms and haven't charged me anywhere near the £85 a night we paid for the room.

Stayed July 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

Booked a twin room as I was travelling with my daughter. This hotel was better than expected having seem previous reviews. Check in and out was easy and staff were helpful. The location is very central - easy walk to Piccadilly Station and China Town (both less than 10 mins). The bedroom and en-suite were both very clean and comfortable. However the room was very warm and the air conditioning did not work - could have opened the window but that would have made the room very noisy as our room overlooked the central heating/air conditioning unit. The extractor fan in the en-suite bathroom did not work. Breakfast was buffet style - excellent choice of hot or cold food. Generally a good choice and would certainly use this hotel again.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

The other reviews are spot-on. There has got to be something wrong with a hotel when there are 4 out of 5 people in the queue at Reception are waiting for a room change or just plain leaving.

I wasn't surprised to find mold growing on the tiles or a massive watermark taking up a third of the wall - it's what happens when the rooms are overheated, the air-conditioning (if it exists) doesn't work and you're struggling to cope with angry guests who are all asking how they were duped into paying +£100 a night for the privilege.

What a dump. And I wasn't even the worst off - the room was a dump but at least it was about 10degrees cooler than the ones on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors. Never, ever again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

I needed to stay in Manchester overnight at short notice, and all hotels were fully booked apart from the Thistle. What a stroke of luck, I thought - smack in the middle of town, 5 minutes walk from Picadilly Station - perfect. How wrong could I be. The hotel is awful, with the worst hotel room I have stayed in for many years. £89 bed and breakfast. Never again.

I must however mention the staff, all of whom were very good, in the face of what must be never ending complaints. They, and we, deserve better.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Been to Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland? Share your experiences!