“Comfortable stay, would go again” 4 of 5 stars

Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 - 5 Portland Street, Manchester M1 6DP, England   |
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Comfortable stay, would go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I found the room cosy with the basic essentials at hand, I had a very comfortable sleep without any disturbance. The staff was great very friendly and smiley I had a great chat with a girl I believe her name was "Hannah" but I am bad with names but she had blonde hair, she was a credit to the hotel as was all staff I had the pleasure to meet.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManager54, Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was pleased to note that you had had a very comfortable nights sleep with us and found our team to be friendly. Furthermore I do hope that it will not be too long before we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Portland.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My son and I had a twin room at the front of the hotel. We were going to Socceraid at Old Trafford and we needed a hotel close to Piccadilly Railway station. It took us about 10 /15 mins to walk from the station. So very easy to get to.
The reception staff were very friendly, polite and very efficient. We arrived at 1.55 and our room was ready. we were asked if we wanted a smoking room which we didn't.Wetook the lift to the room passing underneath a fantastic crystal glass chandelier hanging in the stairway. The hallway to the rooms need new carpets. We got to our twin room and as we opened the door realised the room had no air con but we did have a window so we opened it and it cooled the room quickly.
The room was very clean and spacious. We unpacked and left the room for our evening out.
On returning to the room we could hear the traffic outside as the window was open and we didn't want to shut as it was so hot in the room. It was a hot night. Also the pillows are very thin. Eventually got to sleep and had a good night. We left without breakfast as we had to get the early morning train . I would say this is a great hotel and maybe if we asked at reception there may have been a different room we could have had with air con but it was a good value for money room in a great location .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your feedback it is most welcome. I do hope that you and your son enjoyed Socceraid as we have had a lot of good feedback regarding the event. I have asked our reception team for their comments regarding your visit as we are a fully non-smoking hotel and all rooms do have air-conditioning so I am uncertain of which room you encountered the issue in. However should you be returning to Manchester again I do hope you will come and see us here at the Portland.

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Paid £69 for a friday night. Great hotel. Really friendly staff.

Room was fairly small, but we were only using it as a base. Still better value than the likes of Premier Inn.

Will definitely stay again next time Im in Manchester. Didnt have time to use the pool :-(

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager54, Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback it is most welcome. I was delighted to read your review and do hope that you will definitely come and see us again on your next visit to Manchester.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

A easy walk from Piccadilly Station, in a central location making it easy to walk on around town. We booked dinner, bed and breakfast, the accommodation and food were good as were the staff.The pool changing areas need sprucing up, otherwise no adverse comments.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay it is most welcome. I have shared your comments with our team as I know they will appreciate your kind words. Furthermore I do hope that you will come back and see us soon

Scunthorpe, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really nice hotel, friendly staff and great location. Only downside was the room was too small and with two people not enough space to pass each other - was a double room. The bed was comfortable also. Breakfast had ample choice. I would return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManager54, Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback it is most appreciated. I was pleased to read that you found the bed to be comfortable and that breakfast had ample choices. Furthermore I do hope that on your next trip to Manchester you will choose to come and see us again here at the Portland.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel as part of an organised coach trip to the Coronation Street tour. When we arrived, the room were not ready for check in but we were able to leave our bags in a secure room. Our room was on the small size but was very comfortable. The evening meal and breakfast were delicious. The only down side was the hairdryer which kept over heating and stopping but other than that I can recommend this hotel. It is right in the city centre and close to the shops, tour etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManager54, Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you taking the time to share your experiences of us they are most welcome. I was happy to read that you had a comfortable stay with us and food the meals provided to be delicious. I do hope that you and your daughter had a great time at the Coronation Street tour and it will not be too long before you have the opportunity to revisit with us here at the Portland.

Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I arrived at the hotel on a very wet, cold May morning at 8.30am having been up since 4am. I was quickly checked in to my room and then restored myself with the excellent buffet breakfast. Staff were friendly and my room was comfortable. The hotel is also very centrally situated. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and room 734 was just that.