“Much better within walking distance” 2 of 5 stars

Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 - 5 Portland Street, Manchester M1 6DP, England   |
Ranked #54 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Doncaster
“Much better within walking distance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here as a corporate booking whilst on training course. Do visit Manchester personally as we'll & sometimes include overnight stay. Thistle is one of a number on my employer approved list. It is convenient (5 min walk or free bus from Piccadily) & well suited to get to other locations in Manchester via tram, Metro or better still walk. This time 10 mins to Spinningfields on foot. Reception staff are friendly, efficient, lift somewhat slow & room was very basic although despite being on main road, no road noise. Corridors bit noisier & walls perhaps a little thin. Room clean & shower plenty hot water. Adequate storage & excellent safe to house lap top. But 2 major gripes which mean would not choose again. No tea/ coffee facilities in room. You get these nowadays in Skegness B&B's. Rip off wi-fi tariff which no use when trying to work. Took the breakfast for £10 which was ok ( other hotels do charge more) . Did not use evening restaurant, opted for Kro across the road , super place with prices averaging 33% less. Got my hot drinks from Tesco round the corner at £1.50 v hotel £3. For colleagues coming to Manchester will advise them to use others. Oh & the list prices behind reception are mind boggling although i realise no sensible guest would pay them

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. I read your review with great interest and have taken your concerns on board and have shared them with our team. However I am sorry that you did not locate the tea and coffee tray within the room and that we were unaware of your complaint whilst you were with us but we have asked housekeeping to ensure that all the drawers are highlighted so that this issue does not arise again. I do hope that you will reconsider and come and stay with us again but if you would like to discuss any issues further please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Ian Corner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Plus points are that it is very central and the place is clean,tidy and the staff are very helpful. The minus point is that the room although spotless was small. Would I stay again. Deffo. For £62 it was well worth it. Wether spoons was only 50 yards away but was worst breakfast I have ever had so seriously consider paying a tenner a person when you checking.

Room Tip: Good parking on tariff st for £8 per day 5-7 mins walk from hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was pleased that you found the rooms to be spotless and that the team were very helpful. I was sorry to read of your experience at Wetherspoons and hope that it did not spoil your trip too much. On your next visit to Manchester I do hope you will come and stay with us again and perhaps try our breakfast out for size.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I got a pretty good deal on this hotel through laterooms and the location is perfect for just about everywhere in Manchester so that was my main boxe ticked. However, I will never stay in the hotel again for the simple reason that the walls in the rooms are paper thin. The person in the room next door had the tv on and we could hear every word in our room until he finally switched it off at 2am. In the morning you can hear the cleaners having a conversation in the corridor. A very poor nights sleep overall

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments. I was extremely disappointed to read that you had had a disturbed night when you were with us and that we had been unaware of your issues whilst you were with us. If you would like to discuss your concerns in detail please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly. I do hope that perhaps in the future you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us again as it would be great to have the opportunity to apologise to you in person.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Portland with my girlfriend as we were attending a gig at the Manchester Arena. As people have mentioned the rooms are a little on the small side but all in all its a very good hotel.
Check-in was fast and smooth, the room was very clean with a massive bed. It was a short walk to the Northern Quarter where we went to eat and have a few drinks before the gig.
Check-out was again very smooth, cannot comment on the breakfast as we didnt have it included although there is a Cafe Nero across the road for anyone that has room only.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback it is greatly appreciated. I was delighted that you found us to be an all in all a very good hotel. I do hope you had an enjoyable evening at the gig and will come and see us again the next time you are in Manchester
Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Nice hotel, rooms smaller than I would have expected. Breakfast was very good. Bar was quite expensive so only had one drink and chose to eat / drink elsewhere which was easy to do given the numerous bar / restaurants / pubs etc very nearby.

TV on wall arm is a disaster as TV appears to be too heavy and pulls the arm meaning that the TV sits permanently squint.

Light in bathroom is really noisy – could possibly have been fixed if I had reported it, however I would have liked to have thought that if it could have been fixed that the cleaner would have noticed the noise and reported it as he / she would have needed to put on the light to clean the bathroom and the noise would have been very evident.

The shower curtains were too light and got sucked in with the force of the water from the shower, which meant that you either had to stand almost pinned against the wall or the curtain got stuck to you – a heavier / weighted curtain or a shower screen would resolve issue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I was happy to read that you found us to be a nice hotel and that breakfast was very good. Thank you for your points regarding the TV and the light noise I have asked our Housekeeping team to ensure we are following all protocol with the reporting of maintenance issues as we always do our best to ensure all issues are attended to or the room will be put out of order until we can resolve the problem to our full satisfaction. I do hope you will come and visit with us again as it is always a pleasure to welcoming back returning guests to the Portland

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stay here atleast twice a season when going over to see United. Very good location, walking distance to shops, bars, clubs and value for money. Tram right across the road will bring straight out to Old Trafford.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments they are good to hear. I am pleased you find us to be a suitable place to stay when you heading out to Old Trafford and I do hope the next time Manchester United are at home you will come and stay with us again as the Portland always has such a great atmosphere when the football is on.
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Portland this weekend as i was going to my friends 30th in Manchester. We managed to get the room for £64 on hotelsdirect.co.uk. When the hotel website was saying £120. So we were very chuffed. The hotel is very central to the shops, bars and clubs. The hotel staff were lovely and friendly. Our room was lovely though the bathroom could do with updating and the tiles in the bathroom didn't look very clean and i spotted some dark hairs in the bath before me and my friend had even used the shower and i also spotted a few dark hairs on the bed. But apart from that the room was lovely.The hotel also has a gym, pool and spa i didn't know about so remember your swimming gear.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I read your comments with mixed emotions firstly I was delighted that you found the team to be lovely and friendly. Then I was disheartened to read about the hairs you saw and have asked my Head Housekeeper to investigate as here at the Portland no lack of standards are acceptable. However I do hope you will come and stay with us again on your next visit to Manchester as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and maybe on your next stay you will have time to use our leisure facilities.
Ian Corner

Been to Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland? Share your experiences!