“room smallish, adequate, needs updating - expensive wifi!!” 3 of 5 stars

Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 - 5 Portland Street, Manchester M1 6DP, England   |
Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“room smallish, adequate, needs updating - expensive wifi!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

this hotel is central and was close to where i needed to be for work, so perfect in that respect of location, the lobby area and check in were very good, my room however was not so spectacular
it was really small in size, the double bed was two singles pushed together, the mattress was lumpy and i could feel the springs, there was no soundproofing either against outside noise or from other rooms especially neighbouring guests tv or showering in the morning etc, the general ambient plumbing sounds were also noisy - i take earplugs with me and i needed them here, the bathroom and general decor were a bit shabby, the front of the sink fittings were broken, the toilet roll did not have any kind of toilet roll holder, the embroidery on the bed cushion was 'plucked' and just generally looked tatty and worn
i ordered room service, and this was ok, there was a £5 tray charge
my bugbear is that they still charge for internet use in the rooms and its really expensive imho, i took my laptop but absolutely wont pay those extortionate prices for a couple of hours internet use

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback it is most appreciated. I was extremely disappointed and concerned to read your review and view your pictures. I am truly sorry we were not aware of your concerns during your stay so we could have addressed them with you personally as it is always so disheartening when our guests leave feeling so dissatisfied. I have issued a copy of your review to our team for them to investigate the concerns you raised. However I do hope in the future you may consider re-visiting with us here at the Portland as it would be good to have the opportunity to apologise to you in person.
Ian Corner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a deal to stay her for one night - this included a full English breakfast and a bottle of wine (not for breakfast!). The location was ideal, and we used a recommended car park 10 minutes walk away. If you are at all concerned about walking down some dodgy looking streets at night avoid the Tariff Rd car park. The room was small but perfectly comfortable, with the usual TV, tea & coffee, etc.
We spent some time in the bar and saw a large overseas party entering and looking for seats, they began to sit down at tables set up for breakfast due to the fact there were no remaining seats in the bar area. They were told they could not sit there and it appeared they were basically told to stand. I understand that tables had been set for breakfast, but I would have thought that the guests would be allowed to sit in the bar area in the evening. To make sure they did not venture into this area some temporary partitions were bought in! Very strange customer relations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you had found our rooms to be perfectly comfortable and overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have issued a copy of your review to our Restaurant Manager for him to investigate your comments regarding our guests being unable to use the restaurant as an overflow area from the bar and please be assured we will take any corrective measures required as the comfort of our guests is very important to us. I do hope the next time you are visiting in Manchester you will choose to come and stay with us again here at the Portland.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I chose this hotel due to its location close to the shops, particularly the Arndale Centre. I was not disappointed. The location is excellent.

While the room was a little on the small size, it lacked nothing in the way of comfort. The bathroom was looking a little worn but it was perfectly adequate and the whole room/en suite was more than acceptable.

The only quibble I would have is that it is not easy to find the tea and coffee making facilities in the room, which are hidden within a drawer. It would be helpful if this was mentioned in the information guide provided in the room.

I ordered room service dinner and found that to be excellent (the lamb rump). I thought the tray charge of £5 was a bit high however.

Finally, the staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was delighted to read that you found our team to be very welcoming and friendly throughout your stay and you had had an enjoyable stay with us. I have made housekeeping aware of your suggestion regarding the location of the tea and coffee tray and will review our current standard of only labelling the drawer perhaps we need to enhance our signage. However I do hope you will return to us for another retail therapy visit as it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We chose this hotel due to its location which is second to none - everything is in walking distance and the Piccadilly car park 5mins walk away cost £5 for the weekend.

The reception area is lovely and the staff very welcoming so we were expecting a decent room for our £70 but we were a little disappointed.

After waiting an age for the lifts (there's 2 but only fit 4 people at a squeeze) we headed to our room on the 7th floor. Following the corridor for what felt like a mile we found our tiny, tired looking room. The window looked out onto a brick wall, the walls were scuffed, the bathroom tiles were chipped and we could hear everything from the room next door. I'm sure there a better rooms on the other floors/other side but we felt a bit like we'd been hidden away.

On the upside, the room was clean and facilities adequate (tea& coffee, miniture toiletries etc).

Breakfast was ok for £7.50 (buffet cooked breakfast, cereals, pastries and a selection of drinks) but this was an advanced booking rate (non-refundable) and we were all suffering the effects of the night before so couldn't face much food. There is a Wetherspoons across the road if you're unsure whether to pre-book.

The pool facilities were small but adequate -dont expect to do laps in the pool as you can probably reach both sides at once but it was clean and the jacuzzi, sauna & gym (also small) was a bonus.

All in all this hotel is great if you just want somewhere to rest your head after a night out but don't expect much more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting comments regarding your stay with us. I was very sorry to read of your disappointment regarding your room and that we were unaware of your concerns whilst you were with us as we would of welcomed the chance to rectify this for you. I have made a note of your points and have asked our maintenance and housekeeping teams to investigate. However I do hope you will consider returning to us in the future as it would be good to have the opportunity to apologise to you in person.

Ballymoney, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I am writing this review minutes after being on the phone to Karen parker. The manager of the hotel and may I add all the problems I encountered have now been fixed and I am more than happy to return to this hotel however I feel it is only right that I review the hotel as I seen it when I stayed but I must stress that I am happy now to go back and give it another chance.

My fiancée and I had a few problems in the hotel details don't really matter but at the time we felt there was no help from night staff in the hotel and they were not willing to help in any way with our problems.

The rooms are small and beds slightly hard, bathrooms have very very good pressure in the showers but pity about the pressure when flushing the toilets( the reason again got explained by Karen on her phone call to me) a few fllushes was required to get rid of any surprises.

The lobby of the hotel looks lovely and so does the restaurant we never ate in it but it looks the part.

The man catch about this hotel is its location it's simply could not be any closer to the shops if it tried very very good location and very close to a Krispy Kreme shop lol which is always a bonus.

Our. Trip was daunted by poor customer service on the shop floor but as I said I received a phone call. Today which re generated my thought for this hotel.

I will be going back in the near future to try again and I will re review the hotel this may have been a off time for the hotel but I believe this is a true and accurate account of our stay and the service we received after our stay has been second to no one.

(we didn't use the spa or have breakfast)

If you can get it at the right price then could work out well especially for its location.

More to follow one e visit......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for your review it is most appreciated. I read your review and was very disappointed by the issues you had raised and how we had failed to react to them whilst you were with us. Please be assured the points you raised are being fully investigated and any necessary internal action will be taken as here at the hotel we pride ourselves on our customer service. However I am delighted that after speaking with Karen you will be coming back to stay with us and it will be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland and have the opportunity to apologies to you both in person
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Portland Hotel (Thistle) Manchester

Location –
The Hotel Is situated on Portland street, 5-10 mins walk from the station, Opposite Piccadilly Gardens, From the station head from Station approach and walk along the A6, road meets at Newton road & Portland Street, turn left and it’s on the left a few yards down. Great location from City centre shopping only a 3 min walk, dodging the trams and buses !

Hotel Surroundings –
Nice presented Hotel, warm to the eye reception desk to the right from entrance, huge restaurant on same floor to the left of entrance serving food to the guests and non guests. Foyer lifts and stairs to all floors including lower ground floor supporting the GYM & Pool with Jacuzzi tub. Car parks nearby if travelling by car there is a NCP car park about a 2 min walk away situated behind hotel £ ? Unsure of daily rates.

Reception –
The reception was spotless with a few leather chairs & sofa’s whilst waiting for friends etc. All staff here was very happy to help. Leaflets stand with places to visit & a large TV screen showing Hotel events. Toilets on this floor as well. Although the reception desk had multiple check in desk terminals, there only seemed to be 1 or 2 checking you in or out, so be prepared to wait around if a few need to be checked in. The explanation when checking in wasn’t great by the receptionist about the hotel services & not once mentioned the restaurant or the gym opening times.

Wifi Areas –
Available if paid locally

Rooms –
Was on the higher floors the room was rather on the tiny side, nice comfy bed and a tiny bathroom with a bath (small size one) and shower above, the shower was very powerful indeed and hot, plenty of towels and a flannel for those who like to use one & toiletries. The room had Air con (locally adjusted) to the temp you require. The room has a wardrobe with Ironing board / Iron and a wall safe at no extra cost. Tea and coffee in the room situated underneath the TV cabinet. TV was a flat screen fairly big which was nice and plenty of channels to chose from. Hairdryer and writing desk also. The room itself had everything you would need, although the outlook was very grim (facing another room window in a square courtyard). The rooms could do with a lick of paint and you could hear every conversation from the rooms next door. Even heard what they were going to do this weekend, so privacy is not great.

Food –
Found the breakfast to be very poor for this level of hotel. The self service is a great idea and the Tea and coffee is brought to the table from the waiter or waitress. The cooked breakfast – the food tasted cheap and nasty the Eggs weren’t cooked properly at all, the cereal was in cooking glass dishes with a salad spork. The bread available for toast was the pre sliced bread, Brown or white, I would of prefer a selection of bread to chose from and not cheap stuff. Overall the Breakfast is shocking for this type of star rating Hotel. So hence ate out the other days

Overall for Portland Thistle –
Great location to the city centre and main train transport links to London etc . Rooms small and seemed like paper thin walls (lack of privacy). Food was not great, better places nearby for better quality food and cheaper. The GYM was good on the lower ground. Staff was helpful. Would of expected a higher standard from this Hotel chain compared to competition nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms either side, try and get a room at the end for more privacy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time post to your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I read your review with great interest as it is a very comprehensive view of a guest experience. I have issued a copy of your review to our management team so they can look at the positives and negatives and make any adjustments they feel are necessary to ensure we are doing everything possible to maintain and improve upon our guest satisfaction. I do hope you will return to us at the Portland as it would be good to be able to welcome you personally back and once again thank you for your review as without feedback such as yours we would not be able to keep developing as a hotel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently stayed overnight at this hotel as a result of a training event I was running at this venue. To say that I was treated like a princess from the start of my stay to the end was an understatement! Every staff member I met was courteous, friendly and kind - nothing was too much trouble. The room I was allocated (212) was amazing - a huge room containing 2 beds, 2 bathrooms (included 1 disabled) 2 televisions, a separate sofa/seating area, air conditioning, the rare provision of an iron and ironing board - I could go on and on! Despite facing out onto the busy street below, the room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop! The lovely personal touches left for me such as chocolate face pack, the voucher for the free drink at the bar downstairs were also very gratefully recieved as was the last check out the next day. The event I ran in the Windermere Suite went without a hitch, largely due to the attentiveness of Jahani, the event manager assigned to look after us for whom, once again, nothing seemed to be too much trouble! Although I did not have lunch in the restaurant, my delegates did and without exception were very happy with the quality and amount of food served to them. The restaurant manager and waiting staff were brilliant, coping admirably with us, even accomodating and catering for delegates who announced that they had food intolerances that I had previously not been made aware of at the last minute! Everything about this hotel is hassle free which is extremely important when running an event at a venue sight unseen and I would definitely go back to this venue - for business or pleasure upon another occasion. Well done Portland By Thistle Manchester!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments it is greatly appreciated. I was thrilled to read your review regarding your recent conference and stay with us. I have issued a copy of your review to all our team as I know they will be so pleased. I do hope you will definitely return to us for either business or leisure as it would be a great pleasure to welcome you personally back to the Portland.
Ian Corner

Been to Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland? Share your experiences!