“Executive Tiny Room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Country House Hotel

You added Britannia Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Britannia Country House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palatine Road | Didsbury, Manchester M20 2WG, England (Didsbury)   |
Ranked #78 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
liverpool
“Executive Tiny Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel with a deal that I bought from groupon, it was a super deal and great value for money, we got room, breakfast, bottle of wine, transfers to airport and 8 days car parking for £49. But when I called they offered me a executive room with a spa bath for a extra £10. I jumped at the chance to start our holiday early. (I should not have bothered) room was tiny and the spa bath was just a normal bath with 2 jacuzzi jets in that didn't give out much power.

Staff in this hotel where really nice
Leisure Centre (£4 each entrance) was nice but small but done the job for a hour or so

Bar in the hotel is nice and big and was very surprised how busy the hotel was for a Monday evening

I would defo book this hotel if I got a deal like this again, it's a nice start to your holiday but would not book a excecutive room.

• Stayed April 2013
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and would stay with us again.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for one Saturday night with a group of friends. Will start with the positives: free parking and cheap rooms, which were clean. There is also a decent bar in the hotel. Didn't use the restaurant, pizzeria or pool, but others in the group said they were OK. Unfortunately not much else to say. Our room stank of a mixture of mould and cigarette smoke, which is still clinging to my bag, coat and any belongings that I took with me, over 24 hours since I left! The lifts are useless - tiny and rickety looking, we avoided them and lugged our stuff up the stairs. It's quite a way out of the centre, around £20 in a taxi - although it is on a frequent bus route - but I would still say if you want to frequent the city centre then pay the extra and stay somewhere more central! It was fine if you just want somewhere to sleep with parking - but I would advise packing some Febreze!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I do wish you had brought these issues to the attention of the Duty Manager during your stay as any issues could have been immediately rectified to make your stay a more enjoyable one.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

North Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Check-in service was very slow, as was the service at breakfast. corridors smelt of cigarette smoke. Bedroom was generally clean however bathroom floor was dirty and sticky. Pool was adequate. Don't use cash machine in hotel entrance area - the machine short changed me, hotel staff did not want to know or help in anyway.

• Stayed April 2013
The Britannia Country House Hotel is a large hotel with 255 bedrooms and at times check in can be busy and for this I apologise.

We offer a self service breakfast buffet and I am unsure as to why you would described the service as slow.

We do have a cash machine at the hotel however if there are any cash discrepancies you do have to contact the helpline number that is on the machine or your own bank.

I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Beachbade
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A two nights stay in this hotel was two too many. It is tired, dirty and very dated. We have been kept awake until 5am this morning with residents shouting, arguing and persistently banging doors. The carvery is very limited with fresh food ending at 8.30pm and no waiter service to take drink orders you have to go to the bar for your own drinks.. The pizza restaurant was limited and the food awful, and the waiter was so disinterested he forgot our drinks! Don't expect a good nights sleep at this hotel, there are many people at breakfast complaining this morning. Even our taxi driver yesterday made many derogatory remarks about the place. Reception is undermanned and staff are not interested in your requirements. The pool area was packed and not at all relaxing as there were loads of kids playing pool and table soccer right by the pool. Bar Area was crowded at night and we could not even get a seat anywhere. Good luck all who stay here you.

Room Tip: Don't say in the 280s you are right over the power plant room which is very noisy all day and ni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I am sorry that you were disturbed by other residents in the hotel. Our carvery restaurant closes at 9.00pm, and is replenished with fresh food throughout service.

Unfortunately we do not have a drinks waiter in our restaurant and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

We are a large hotel and at times the hotel can be extremely busy.

Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked a night stay and airport parking for 2 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised on arrival. The rooms are big, clean and had a whirlpool bath.
Yes the hotel was busy with other guest but there were no queues at the bar or restaurant.
We had the carvery dinner which was nice.
This hotel is excellent value especially when booking with a parking package. Would definitely return

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money and your room large and clean.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

North Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Let's start with the good bits!
Our room was plenty big enough for the two of us, albeit too warm and no obvious way of turning down the heating or increasing the ventilation! It was however acceptably clean - and the price was right!
Now for the other bits!
A flattering name for a tired looking hotel with tired-looking, borderline disinterested staff, a non-working lift - and no assistance to lug suitcases up the stairs and quite a walk from the Stairs (and we were only on the 1st Floor!) to our room.
Only one person on the Desk at 6.30 pm and a queue of approx. twelve customers - including several Japanese whose English was limited!!!
This was one of the longest times I've spent checking into a hotel anywhere in the world - and at my age, I can't really afford to waste that much time from what's left of my life!!!
Fortunately, we only stayed the one night as we were catching an early morning flight next day.
Wouldn't NOT stay here again BUT it may be a long time (life expectancy permitting!!!) before we do!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you found your room to be spacious and clean. It is possible to turn the heating down in your room with the valve on your radiator.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was tired and the staff were disinterested. We do not offer a porterage service at the hotel however should a guest require assistance with their luggage they can speak to our reception staff and this can be arranged.

The hotel has 255 bedrooms and at times our check in can be busy.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Kind Regards

Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Arrived last week a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews given about facilities and standards needn't have bothered The reception staff, bedroom , and general standard of facilities was high , certainly some areas looked a bit tired but considering the thro put its no wonder. To cater for busloads arriving at 1630 feeding them all by 1830 and setting them off to see Mrs Browns boys on one night stays then catering for us residents without us really knowing takes some organisation. Well Done Staff . As for my trip with Caledonian Travel it was first class all the way. room 260 very good , beds two king size doubles as singles & jacuzzi Not tried. room clean . Restuarant Food self service and all one could eat .the Vegetable Stroganoff had me returning for seconds Compliments to the CHEF happy hour and entertainment room prices better than expected all in all a very good experience Thank you Caledonian and Paul , and the hardworking team at The Country House Hotel

Room Tip: second floor quiet at front
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel, which I will pass on to all of the staff whom I am sure will be delighted to read them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!