“Ok budget hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Country House Hotel

You added Britannia Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Britannia Country House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palatine Road | Didsbury, Manchester M20 2WG, England (Didsbury)   |
Ranked #78 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Ok budget hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed over for a conference. When we checked in we were told that our room hadn't been paid for (it had and we had the reference number and bacs number to prove it). It took ages to sort out, as they didn't seem to believe us and were quite rude about it.

The hotel is very dated and needs money spending on it before it becomes very tatty.

We stayed in an executive room, which was a good size with two queen size beds. The bathroom was a good size too with a spa bath, but this was very noisy when operated. The room was clean and tidy, but very dated.

Our room was on the third floor and we could still hear the music from the "entertainment". We were also at the front of the hotel so had a lot of noise from the smoking area and the bus/taxi pick ups.

The food that was provided for the conference was good, reasonable choice and was hot and tasty. Breakfast was ok, nothing special, but it was horrendously busy with only one poor member of staff on trying to do everything.

This is a budget hotel as you get what you pay for, ok for one night but would want more luxury if I was staying any longer.

Room Tip: Get one away from the front of the hotel and I would go lower than an executive.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Well based on the fact I am writing this from my room and my neighbours are talking about hearing my tv and I can hear them talking about my tv programme I guess it answers how thin the walls are!!!

I checked In after booked a double as I'm 6foot5 and the very grumpy, rude, abnoxious receptionist told me they only had single rooms and my room was none refundable! Lots of arguing but I got my way! He wasn't happy!

I paid for breakfast (again none refundable) but it only opens at 7am, I am catching a flight so am missing it, my money won't be returned even tho I asked to the same guy who sold it to me and booked the transfers!!

Rooms are nice, but old and dated! Windows have single glazing!

It you can afford a hostel to there, at least you expect less! This place needs help!!!

• Stayed March 2013
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I am sorry for the issues you experienced on check in at the Britannia Country House Hotel and that you were disturbed by noise from guests in the room next door.

I am at a loss as to explain why you could not have breakfast before you left for the airport as our restaurant opens for breakfast at 6.00am.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Paisley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I don't know if I can put into words just how poor this hotel was. The walls were paper thin. I could overhear the conversation coming from the next room and they folks weren't even talking that loudly. I was woken one morning to the sound of the guy in the room upstairs in the toilet....more » Not pleasant! You can hear every word, doors opening and closing so if you're looking for a quiet hotel this is more definitely not the place to book. Also you do not get an iron in your room. You have to take your clothes to an ironing room along with everybody else. Is it really too much to ask to be able to iron in your own room??????? The reception staff barely crack a smile and are not v helpful at all. Now for the food.......I wouldn't even call it a restaurant cause its seriously below par. It was a carvery dinner with no labels as to what each dish was supposed to be. The meat was disgusting, the chicken was dry and overcooked and even the sauce could do nothing to hide that fact. If you want a decent dinner then go elsewhere!

Room Tip: My top tip would be to avoid this hotel. Even a hostel would be better than this so called hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Unfortunately we do not provide irons in our bedrooms and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food in our Restaurant . Our staff are on hand for guests to speak to should they require any information in relation to what food is being served.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This a great, decently-priced hotel for a budget stay and I can honestly say I was very happy with what I got for the price I paid. The double room we had was very small but functional, well-equipped. Breakfast was cheaper when pre-booked and there was plenty of choice: continental, cooked and very friendly staff serving.

I really enjoyed my stay and I do feel that a lot of the reviewers here have been a bit uncharitable with their comments. Having said this, there was one thing that really let the hotel down - and it could be easily fixed. The room and bathroom were cleaned only superficially e.g. coffee stained saucers in the bedroom; and the bathroom floor, though generally clean, was littered in corners with discarded cotton buds, hair and bits of toilet paper.The sink was not properly cleaned either. While I could overlook this, the main problem was the limescale on the showerhead which can be a health and safety hazard and really should be inspected as a matter of priority.

Other than that, we were very impressed with the staff who could not have been more friendly and accommodating - they helped us out on a couple of occasions with requests.

The hotel itself is in a nice setting and is quite attractive with a nicely designed restaurant, bar area and health suite which you can pay to use. If you are part of a group I imagine its an especially good fun place to stay.

All in all think it was fair enough for the price and we really enjoyed our stay. We would like to see this hotel succeed as it has been a good and reliable venue over the years.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor at the back on a corridor of 4 rooms which, I think, was quieter so we did...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be good value for money.

Our shower heads are cleaned regularly and I have passed your comments on to our head housekeeper to ensure that each and every showerhead is cleaned to the correct high standard.

Unfortunately it is so easy for people to tell us when things go however it is great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Lovely as you drive in, reception looked pretty impressive. Room tiny and freezing cold. Complained and was moved to another freezing cold room. Complained and was told that if I wanted to pay for another room on another occasion I would get an upgrade 'subject to availability' - no acknowledgment that it was unacceptable that room was so cold - even room service said "it's freezing in here, I would complain" when they brought my food.

• Stayed February 2013
Nr Frome
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was one of those budget hotels that you get near to airports all over the world and remember why people only stay one night in them.

The taxis were all blocking the entrance to the car park trying to pick up passengers outside the main door, which meant the traffic just blocked the road. There was only one person at the reception despite being large queues and staff drinking coffee in the room behind the front desk. I did ask if someone could cone out and help and the polite young man dud go and ask but no one came out. There were a lot of staff around doing nothing. They couldn't find my booking despite having ore booked. The rooms were small very basic and not that clown.

The food was poor. The breakfast was prepared at 6.00 and put out under the hot lights that cooked everything so much that even the serving spoons were too hot to touch. Everything was dried out. The staff were friendly but when i asked a cleaner where breakfast was served she sent me to reception.

It was a large tired building that was very basic.

Thank god you only experience one night in these hotels, seems a cheek to have to pay for the experience.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed as part of a large group on business. Friend had stayed the night before but was put into single room, thank god they had upgraded us to executive rooms. Very basic rooms but were clean. The whole hotel, though, could do with updating and refreshing. Gym was disappointing as a charge of £4 even though staying at hotel per day. But had a good selection of equipment. Coffee lounge is a bit of a comedy as it is a machine with a couple of pre wrapped pastries rather than the Starbuck/Costa like area you expect.

Room Tip: Get an executive room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry that you feel that the hotel needs updating and refreshing. There is a charge to use our Spindles Health Club and I am sorry that you were unhappy with this.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Hotel Supervisor

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!