“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Midland

You added The Midland to your Saves list
The Midland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Peter St | Use M2 4NQ for SatNavs, Manchester M60 2DS, England   |
Ranked #17 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just got back from second visit to The Midland in Manchester - this time we stayed two nights (Friday and Saturday). We were given a very warm welcome and although we arrived early we could leave our bags with the concierge while we went shopping. We asked for two twin-bedded rooms and they were very big - two double beds in both rooms - which were very comfortable (pillows were very good) and they had left champagne and chocolates in both rooms as an added extra. The staff were all very polite and extremely helpful - probably some of the best-mannered hotel employees I have met. The rooms were very quiet, so despite being in a vibrant city, I had a fantastic night's sleep each night. The breakfast was good - given the high volume of visitors at the weekend, the buffet was replenshed quickly. We tried out the swimming pool, which was quite small, and the sauna, which was fine. The lobby areas were very clean and relaxing. There was no "how to" manual in the room, but when I called Guest services, they explained everything was on the TV - so I was able to look at room service menus, and checking out time through the TV. The bathroom was very clean and the Hans Grohe shower was very good - shampoo, conditioner and shower/bath gel provided. I have already booked to stay here again in June. The hotel offers a number of special deals which if you book in advance make a big difference. A lovely weekend and a gorgeous hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 401 and 449, both on different sides, and both very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear SnooPowell,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how impressed you were with your twin rooms and the service you received throughout your visit to Manchester.

It's great that you were able to make use of our new Smart TVs and that you found both your room so quiet.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Thai first
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Have never stayed at this establishment, but, have taken the guided tour, and, partaken of refreshments !
The names of the eateries have changed of late so one was left somewhat confused...
The Brasserie is now The French.
The Colony Restaurant is now Mr Coopers House and Garden.
The Octagon is still in existence, and, offers much the same fayre as before.
The Wyvern is still in existence, albeit, minus the bar.

Oneself settled for The Octagon.
This being the raised and open seating area to the side of the hotel reception.
There be two parts to this place - the 'inner core' - for more formal dining, and - the 'outer edges' - for more informal nibbling.
Oneself settled for the latter.
The seating be perfectly comfortable, but, it can be a bit of a stretch to reach the table from some seats - particularly for those of shorter / stockier build !
The menu be varied - hot and cold food and drink, plus, 'soft' and 'hard' for the latter.
Oneself has partaken of Afternoon Tea in the past - this was always excellent - drink, food and service.
This time one simply settled for Cocktails - again excellent all round.

Service has always been quick and attentive, but, it has always been paid for - a service charge of ten percent being included in the bill.

Will be sure to pop-in again - with or without our anorak !

Dear RobertTaggart,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit to the Octagon Lounge – as you say we have undergone some recent refurbishments and hope you'll be able to experience the new restaurants on a future trip into Manchester.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed here on business last weekend and was blown away by the fantastic service. I've travelled the world with work and have stayed in plenty of hotels, but I can honestly say this was probably the warmest welcome I've ever experienced! One young guy in particular on reception went out of his way to provide great service at both check-in and out - warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful. Really put a spring in my step as I left the next morning!

Staff were similarly great in the bar and at breakfast - first class stuff.

The hotel itself was beautiful - a real grand old place. Reception foyer is gorgeous and I loved the tree in the middle. I suppose the rooms are a little on the small side, but I just thought it added to the character of a traditional historical building. Facilities were great - good bar, bathroom and an amazing internet-enabled TV. Bed was brilliant and I slept like a baby.

The one tiny thing that I didn't like was the hairdryer - one of the old-style ones that require you to hold in a button as you dry, which only really works for people with short hair (and not much of it at that!). Still, that's a tiny complaint - the entire place is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear furcoatonholiday,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm so pleased to read that you found the service so warm and welcoming.

I hope you'll be pleased to read that we're looking into upgrading the hairdryers provided in the rooms and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many Manchester hotels but this is the best one !

Huge rooms, fantastic service, personalised hand written welcome cards ....it is the place to stay.

Bar areas/ dining / breakfast are all excellent

For me the rooms are the stand out feature, high ceilings, original decor, well decorated, excellent bathrooms.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Andrew R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the "fantastic service", "huge rooms" and your experience of the hotel in general are much appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed at The Midland several years ago and decided to return when a few other (better) hotels were fully booked. This property has not aged well. The room was nice, but the mattress was awful. My husband could hardly get out of bed every morning. The gym equipment is passable but again looks to have been there for years without being updated. We did not eat in the hotel and instead went to a delightful cafe across the street (Caffe Nero) for coffee/tea, pastries and porridge in the morning, and to several great restaurants for dinner. The bar seemed lively in the evening and we enjoyed the piano player on Saturday night in the bar. The staff were friendly and helpful but I would stay elsewhere given the chance.

Room Tip: The rooms near the elevators are not so close that the sound from the elevators is a problem. As the...
Dear jenntabb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the mattress in the room and that you didn't get chance to try any of the breakfast or dining option in the hotel.

I'm pleased to read that you thought the team here were friendly and helpful - I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently stayed at this grand old hotel whilst attending a conference in the city.

From the moment I arrived I was greeted like a returning friend (although I had never stepped foot in this hotel before). I was met by the concierge (Bernard), he was able to answer my questions on directions and also recommended some restaurants to dine in. I was checked in by Sadie on reception. My room was a standard room although I wouldn't have said there was anything standard in the room. Large, a lovely view, modern TV (a smart tv with the internet and apps on), great bathroom and a safe in the room (more about that later).

I didn't dine in the hotel but did go onto the lounge in the early evening, I was served promptly by a member of staff (sorry no name badge), the drinks were averagely priced for a venue of this standard.

On checking out I used the express check out due to a queue in front of me. again the concierge (David Morris?) were helpful in getting me a taxi to the station.

On returning home, I discovered I had left my house keys in the safe in my room (luckily my neighbour has a spare key). I contacted the hotel and spoke with Adam in the Security/Lost Property department. He was able to retrieve my keys and he very kindly arranged to have them sent to me arriving the following day.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel, the building is amazing, the staff are friendly and will do anything to help. I have not found a hotel in a long time where the staff have been so friendly and willing to help with any requests.

Room Tip: ask for high floors, as can get a better view of the city
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear James A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with the service you received from the hotel staff; I will pass your specific compliments onto Bernard, Sadie, David and Adam for their hard work.

Preston, Lancs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I had booked for valentines weekend as it was my birthday on 15th Feb so stayed 2 nights. The room was clean with some nice toiletries etc and I was delighted that a bottle of red wine - my fave - Malbec - had been left as a birthday present from the hotel - a nice touch! We also found the breakfast very nice with fresh orange, fresh smoothies, fresh home made yoghurt and liked the fact you were served rather than self service. The breakfast area also was very relaxing and airy which is not our usual experience of hotels which tend to be noisy and bustling. The location was excellent being only a 10 min walk to Arndale, Deansgate etc. The reception area was very grand and pleasing also. The main downside we felt was that whilst it was a really historic building, we thought the rooms could have done with a bit of an upgrade or modernisation particularly given we were staying in a King room and had paid more anyway. We have been in other Q hotels in both Leeds and Stratford upon Avon which were far more modern. We were disappointed there were no robes or slippers provided either which is what we have had in other hotels in a similar price range. We were looking forward to using the jacuzzi and steam room, sauna also but it turned out there was no steam room and that the saunas were only within the male and femal changing rooms and no joint one so we didn't bother using it in the end. Having said all this we did enjoy our stay and would return to the hotel but would probably just opt for the standard room in future and try and book when special offers are on as we didn't feel the price was cominsurate fully with what we were expecting.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SmithsPreston_Lancs,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how pleased you were with the cleanliness of your room and your breakfast; and that the location of the hotel suited your trip to Manchester.

I'm sorry to read that the decor in your room was not to your taste - being a 110 year old hotel we do find that we need to be sympathetic in refurbishment of the building which rules out overtly modern styles. I will be sure to pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams for them to take onboard and improve where necessary.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!