“Midland Hotel Stay for a wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Midland

You added The Midland to your Saves list
The Midland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Peter St | Use M2 4NQ for SatNavs, Manchester M60 2DS, England   |
Ranked #15 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Hong Kong
“Midland Hotel Stay for a wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Dates Stayed : Dec 27th to Dec 29th 2013
Reason : Wedding

Check-in : No issues. No queue, no fuss, no problem. Within 2 mins I was in my room and found it to be huge - about double the size of what I was expecting.

Room: However, being so large, I would have put a sofa in the room instead of two armchairs in the middle of the room which looked very lonely. There's plenty of room to set up another work top or a sofa seating area which would have been better.

I had some issues with setting the temperature though and also there was no toothbrush or toothpaste in the room. Maybe it was hidden away but I am sure I could have requested a set. I couldn't see any shoe polish either.

Wifi - excellent. Great connection and good speed.

TV Channels - I don't think there was sky sports but not to stress... watched Dave Channel instead.

Breakfast : Great choice of everything you can ask for except champagne (if I was going to be super fussy). Eggs made fresh and to order. No problem finding a seat also. Staff extremely friendly and helpful.

Bar : I spent too much money at a bar in Manchester which just says it all. Fantastic.

I was here for a wedding and that went great and overall the hotel stay was lovely. Most definitely my first choice for staying in Manchester City Centre as everything is close by and convenient. During my stay I even requested an extra bed which came at no charge (very unusual). To make matters even better, the bed was set up within 5 mins of my requesting it. Either the staff have little to do or they are very efficient - I believe it's the latter and very well done for it.

Check-out : No problem. I asked for a late check out at 1pm which was given without any problems although I was warned that any time after that I would have to be charged for it - fair enough. I had just one bill to settle as my trip was pre-paid. Left luggage in the concierge and got that back without any stress whatsoever.

I can't fault the service one bit and other than saying this is the best place to stay in Manchester should you want a historic building.

Room Tip: Room 113. Big and spacious. Faces the back of the hotel so less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear sklee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with your visit and especially with the efficient service which you received in all areas of the hotel.

For future reference, our concierge have a supply of toothbrushes, toothpaste and shoe-shine kits should they be required.

I was pass your kind comments onto the relevant teams and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Thai first
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Central location, close to Deansgate for a variety of bars and restaurants. Booked on Lastminute.com so we had a great rate (room only). Not sure if I would want to pay the full rate. Did not use restaurant facilities so can't comment on food quality but what we saw looked nice. We had a standard double (218) no view but then we were only there for a night. Very comfortable bed. Large fluffy towels. Good power shower. Dressing table with hairdryer, trouser press etc. Complimentary magazines, tea and coffee. Well stocked mini bar. Room was very clean. Well maintained public areas, lots of seating. No parking! but again we arrived after 7pm and left before 10am so were able to park on a street meter. (Hotel charge £18 a day at the NCP)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzibanter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read your comments regarding the amenities available in your room and the cleanliness - I will pass your observations onto our Housekeeping team.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed at The Midland in a junior suite for the first time on NYE with my girlfriend, no complaints about the room itself, which we thought was great, we had a table at The French downstairs which was also fantastic experience, we left the next day after a great time.

Here's where the problems started..2 days later I noticed an unexpected charge to my account of £150, I assumed there was some kind of mistake so contacted reception expecting it to be cleared up quite simply, at this point I was told it was a charge for damage caused to the room, namely 'a chunk' was missing from the toilet, this was news to me as we had left the room in immaculate condition, my girlfriend even making up the bed!

The initial attitude of the reception staff was quite offhand and accusatory, informing me that 'No-one else had access to the room following your departure, so it could only have been caused by you'

After informing them that we 100% did not cause this damage I was put in contact with the 'Guest relations manager' he emailed me a damage report containing photos, a huge part of the actual toilet bowl was missing, not sure how anyone could cause that, I was completely shocked that this was a picture of the same room we had left!!

From my conversation with Thomas it now became clear someone else had been in the room after us (the cleaner) not quite the picture painted earlier when I first raised my concerns!

I left Thomas to conduct his 'investigation' over the weekend, which involved speaking to the cleaning staff, and awaited his response, still expecting the matter to be cleared up.

Today I received his email, basically the 'long serving' cleaner denied causing the damage, therefore they were keeping my money and consider the matter closed.

I'm absolutely disgusted with our treatment by The Midland, we are not the kind of people to damage hotel rooms and if we had, then we would have reported it on checkout and gladly paid the repair bill.

Unfortunately I am writing off my £150, but I would encourage anyone staying here to take pictures of your room before leaving (hardly the first thing on your mind after a romantic evening)

Expected much, much better from a hotel of this reputation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Midland Hotel for two nights 3rd & 4th Jan 2014. I must say what a fabulous time we had. The hotel is just superb, all the staff were so helpful, polite. Hotel facilities are also superb. There is so much choice at breakfast, from continental, yoghurts, smoothies,fresh fruit. We had a full English breakfast that was delicious . Free use of the indoor pool and sauna is an added bonus. We had a superior twin bedded room that was very plush and lots of room even enough room for a sofa and chairs. The beds were very comfortable,therefore a good nights sleep. Well worth staying at this beautiful Victorian hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear LillyStockport,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such fantastic feedback for our Breakfast, Leisure and Housekeeping teams and will pass your kind comments onto those departments later today.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have one again just returned from a wonderful New Years stay at the Midland Hotel Manchester.

We would like to mention 2 people who stood out during our stay and looked after us so well and made our stay so enjoyable! They are Joao De Sousa who is the Manager of the Octagon Bar and Dining Area also Elisahete Hughes who is in Mr Coopers restaurant for breakfast both of whom looked after us so wonderfully. A big thank you to them! They went that extra mile.

It was a 2 night stay eating in the Simon Rogan French Restaurant New Years Eve. Wonderful food! the only negative things were the changes to the restaurant which we personally didn't like, too modern not in keeping with its history. As we had dined in the French last New Years Eve we were expecting just a few changes but we felt that the ambience that was there last year seem to be missing this year!

Last year we had music singing and atmosphere, none of that this year, also no decorations only 2 low cost crackers and no tablecloths or flower arrangements on the tables. We hardly knew it was New Year in there until we came out and met Joao in the Octagon Bar.

Our superior room 609 was first class. Just a few negative comments otherwise we have had a wonderful stay. Thank you very much.

We are members of the Breakaway Club and regard The Midland Hotel as the best hotel in the country.

Robert and Anne Ellis
Shropshire

Room Tip: 609 very good room very quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear robert e,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will pass your compliments onto both members of staff and ensure that they are rewarded for their excellent service. I'm sorry that you were disappointed by the atmosphere during your visit to The French & will feed your comments back to the team there.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon - Best wishes for 2014.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Fantastic stay at the Midland Manchester. The location was very central,Just a short walk away from the theatres, food amazing,room was spacious, the staff are excellent, very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was delightful, everything cooked fresh and very tasty.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear sdolan849 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great feedback regarding your visit - your kind comments will be much appreciated by the departments concerned.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Overall a great evening - room was clean and had everything that was needed (including a wireless TV!) I felt very comfortable. All the service I had was great and everyone was polite.

However, I opted for the vegetarian meal and was slightly disappointed about the lack of flavour in the main meal. The majority of diners had duck pate and beef whereas I had melon and plain chargrilled vegetables on pastry. All the food was cooked properly but I was a bit disappointed and expected a main meal with more flavour or more to it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Stephanie W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you were comfortable in your room and thought the service you received was great.

I will pass your observations regarding the vegetarian option onto our Head Chef; however I'm glad that you enjoyed your evening overall.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon - best wishes for the New Year.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!