“Communication opportunity training” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Midland

You added The Midland to your Saves list
The Midland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Peter St | Use M2 4NQ for SatNavs, Manchester M60 2DS, England   |
Ranked #17 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Communication opportunity training”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was going to a luncheon in the function suite and knowing I had dietary requirement telephoned the conference office the day prior to give them the 'heads up'. Spoke to a charming lady who gave me the menu and assured me that details would be conveyed to the kitchen.

Alas, on the day of the function nobody knew and there was a considerable delay in me eating while the other guests on our table had finished. Shame because it's a good operation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Stuart170649,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to The Midland. Please accept my apologies for the oversight when arranging your meal; I will pass your feedback onto the Conference & Events Managers and ask them to ensure that their staff are aware of how important communication between teams is.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I attended the Debt Collection Awards Dinner at The Midland Hotel on Wednesday 13 November 2013. After the dinner we retired to the bar area and it was immensely busy. We approached a member of staff - Sana Khan - who whislt serving another customer was able to note our order and returned with the drinks promptly. If we had queued at the bar it would have taken at least 30 minutes to be served. Sana was very polite, professional and most importantly had a smile on her face! Thank you Sana!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Darren S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments regarding the service you received from Sana and I will pass your compliments onto her personally today.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We spent the night before and the night after our Civil Partnership at the Midland . We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by probably the most friendly receptionist , my mum was staying the night before as well and being 92, I had pre requested rooms next to each other, this had been arranged.
The Midland is a very grand hotel , and whilst our rooms were nice, they were nothing special, they were very clean and a reasonable size, I just think due to the grandness of the exterior and the public areas I expected the rooms to have a wow factor, there were no fluffy white bath robes, which again is not a big issue but I just think I presumed they would have them .
The was tea and coffee in the room although on the 2nd day we stayed they forgot to replenish , I'm sure had we of rung down we would have been provided with some.
A really nice touch was that the young lady who had checked us in , posted a card through our door wishing us good luck.
We had breakfast one of the mornings , the staff we very friendly , made a fuss over my 92 year old mum, which was great . The breakfast was good , and a reasonable choice, though I do think £15 each is quite expensive.
The midland is in a brilliant position and the front of house staff a credit, would I stay here again ? I don't think I would pay the full price , I may consider if there was an offer, not because there was really anything wrong with the hotel , but if you are charging 'top' prices , and you have a hotel with such a beautiful exterior and lobby, and fantastic staff, then why not go just a little bit further and work on giving the guest rooms a bit of that wow factor.
I do want to be fair and reiterate there is nothing wrong with the hotel , and like us you will enjoy your stay , because it is a nice hotel, with great staff,.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Daniel187069 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall - I will pass your comments onto the relevant teams who I'm sure will make adjustments to improve where possible.

Congratulations on your Civil Partnership & best wishes for the future.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great experience. Excellent service by Sami. Very impressed by gluten free sandwiches and cakes. Would definitely recommend. Just one comment, a pianist plays on Saturdays, would be good if they played every afternoon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Louise P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to The Octagon Lounge at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments describing your great experience. I will pass your compliments onto Sami for her excellent service and I’ll let our Head Chef know how impressed you were with the gluten free sandwiches and cakes.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Booked a superior double room for my wife and I to enjoy a short time away together. Room was very nice but could do with updating and a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss. For a top hotel the TV was around the size of a portable and not having Sky Channels in Q Hotels loses my vote to De Vere Village hotels on business trips who have 32" TV's with Sky Channels. Hotel ambience was as expected first rate. Breakfast was chaotic with no organisation - no bread at the toast machine and undercooked hot food. Reception staff were among the best I have encountered. Superb hotel from the outside but just creaking a bit as needs some money spent to bring it up to date.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read your comments describing our reception team as among the best you have encountered, however I'm sorry that some elements of your stay did not live up to your expectations.

I will pass your comments on to the relevant departments and I'm sure they will make improvements where possible.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here when atending a confeence at the nearby Manchester Centre.

A Standard double room isnot much sure of a small suite. Massive bathroom. Seperate Dressing room and luxurious bedroom with well stocked - and quite reasonable mini bar. The bedroom hadd an very comfortable, very large bed as well writting desk and deep pile carpet. And best of all - free wifi. I hate it when hotels charge for wifi.

I had room service for an evening meal which was excellent and delivered it good time. The breakfast was OK - as good as a buffet breakfast gets. It was quite busy though as it does cater for for conferences and it was a bit of a srum in there, but still very nice.

The receptionist staff though where the stars. Very friendly and helpful.

Its almost too good for a business trip but great for an up market stay in Manchester.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Martin F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that you thought the bedroom was luxurious and that you were happy with your evening meal and breakfast.

I will pass your compliments onto our reception team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

bampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I booked a single room for a single night - but was given a really large and comfortable double room. It was completely peaceful, and there were many extra welcoming touches - a handwritten welcome note from the Guest Relations Manager, real coffee (and tea etc of course), free wifi. Excellent bed, and large bathroom. A most pleasant stay, and I would certainly return. The hotel is a magnificent piece of Victorian building and very conveniently situated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear jeremypgray,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you were happy with your upgraded room and the facilities available to you. I'm pleased that you thought my welcome card was a nice touch and a description of the hotel as magnificent is fantastic to see!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!