“Tatty” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Midland

You added The Midland to your Saves list
The Midland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Peter St | Use M2 4NQ for SatNavs, Manchester M60 2DS, England   |
Ranked #15 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tatty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Thought we would give this hotel a second go to give it the benefit of the doubt. Had to change rooms again as the room they gave us had loose paper hanging from ceilings, and generally grubby. The second room was a bit better but not by much. Our friends were staying at the Raddison hotel which was almost next door, and that was Palatial by comparison.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear STR1050,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us your comments are really appreciated. If I could ask you to get in touch as I'd like to go through the matter with you to ensure we resolve it or let you know that we have done so already.

As a norm if there is a problem with any of our rooms then we get our Maintenance team into that room on that day to get it back to standard. As would be expected with 312 bedrooms there is an ongoing desire to keep them in first class condition but sometimes items like edges of wall paper coming away in a room does happen.

So either the dissatisfaction that you mentioned continues to be missed or, as I suspect, the task has already been completed and I can update you. To be fair such is the rarity of this situation that I believe I have also read your comments via our internal feedback system intimating the same issue so I am confident we are already onto your concern.

Many thanks for raising the matter though as we do have an excellent reputation for delivering immaculate public areas, Meeting Rooms and Bedrooms which we guard jealously and so with your feedback this will help ensure that this situation continues.

In closing I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

The Midland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This is the third time I ve stayed here and as usual it was very busy. Weddings , business people galore. I m glad to say the rooms are consistantly good as are the staff. The only thing that let's this hotel down is the breakfast, much better quality and value for money round the corner.

• Stayed July 2012
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear MrsMoggs,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for your continued loyalty. We are an extremely busy hotel but generally get great reviews for our food offerings and so I'm sorry that on this occasion we didn't please you completely.

Please let me know when next you are planning to visit us so I can ensure that we delight you rather than disappoint.

Thank you once again.

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here on business third weekend in September on a Saturday night. The room was adequate - but even with the air conditioning on it was still stifling hot. The queue to be served in The Octagon Bar on the Saturday evening was diabolical - and don't even get me started on their prices! Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a rushed affair - long queues to be seated and the same at the self-service hot buffet selection (which was not as frequently replenished as it might have been). If you're a veggie trying to breakfast, then it's hash browns, egg, tomato and mushrooms (and the half dozen baked beans that were left skulking unloved in the serving dish) - although there are TWO different sausage choices for the meat eaters! Not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Dizzy_Blonde1,

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm really sorry that we failed to match your expectations on this occasion. As with all hotels we're looking ALWAYS to deliver consistency and to make the experience for our guests as enjoyable and 'user friendly' as possible. To be fair given our other reviews overwhelmingly we tend to match what our guests are asking for as we know there is an anticipation that The Midland always delivers great service, ambience and quality.

I take on board your comments about breakfast offerings for vegetarians with the caveat that we have an extensive vegetarian (breakfast) range well beyond that which you have mentioned. However, based on your comments, it appears that we've failed by not communicating this to you. Please be assured that I will be speaking with the team to ensure the Menu's are out, all of our range is ready for our guests and that if / when staff are asked to describe what is available, including telling guests about our great vegetarian sausages, that they do so in a manner that delight a guest rather than disappoints.

Please be assured also that we are conscious about the importance of ensuring that we meet each and every guests dietary requirements in a proactive manner which as I said did not occur for you on this occasion for and I apologise.

In terms of a busy Lounge again I'm sorry but we are a very popular hotel which sometimes can impact on our ability to provide table service to every guest during very busy periods again as you will see from our other reviews guests are normally delighted with 'what we do and how' and so your feedback is so important to us as it identifies further opportunities to improve. I do feel however our prices are very competitive and are based on the ambience and quality of service as well as using the finest products and preparing them properly. All of which I agree seems less of a good reason price wise if the service standard isn't being delivered because the Lounge is so busy. Please note we expect our team to continue to deliver even when we are busy and generally we get this just right.

Please let me know if ever you are planning to return so I can meet you and go through all of our offerings to reassure you that we have concerns at heart and will use your feedback to get even better.

Leigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I booked the midland hotel as a last min deal so got a deluxe room at a bargain price- the staff are friendly and courteous and made my stay - the bar however is a bit pricey £ 9.50 for 2 baileys! I have put value as excellent as we paid a reduced price- if I had to pay full price I would give it a very good .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear GA94,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Midland and for all your kind words. To be fair we do remain very reasonable as against our city centre competition and operate on a doubles bar basis; with the caveat that our team do advise guests that they can just as easily order a single if they so prefer.

As always we look forward to your return and thank you once again.

Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Midland for a romantic break. The hotel was clean and staff were very courteous. Reception was a wonderful place to walk into on Friday night - peaceful and glorious and one could stand in awe and admire the magic of the place. Come Sunday morning - a totally different story and one that we were amazed to see. A bar being built in reception - drills and all and at the other end a plastic monstrosity - oh yes I forget to mention the Labour conference which was about to start and clearly one which The Midland was helping to host! Such a shame .... why they couldn't have put all the delegates into one of the many suites upstairs I'll never know. The whole ambience was ruined! Oh and the bar on the Saturday night was full of inebriated Labour supporters - nothing wrong with that but there was nowhere for the other guests to enjoy a quiet pint in what could be a lovely peaceful setting. We decided to leave them to it - and this slightly spoilt what should have been a lovely break. Not sure if we'll return to be honest ...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear il0velife,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind comments and feedback. The Midland delivers some of the most high profile conferencing events in Europe and there are always requests to refine what we do to assist with each event; part of which is sometimes to prepare a coffee cart in our foyer for the delegates . I've also assessed our Duty Managers Report and can't find any instances of poor behaviour on Sat eve and to be fair the event that you mentioned did not really begin until Sunday. To that end if it did then I'm really sorry.

I'd like to thank you again for your comments and I'd be delighted if in the future you allow our great team, who only want to exceed every guests expectations, to look after you sometime in the future.

North West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed for one night while visiting Manchester to see John Bishop. Short walk from Oxford Street Station.
A warm welcome, good sized room and bathroom with everything we needed. The quietest hotel bedroom ever. Good nights sleep and as check out was not until 12noon, stayed in bed till late. What a treat.
We were on a room only basis and did not eat breakfast at the hotel.
Prices in the bar were a bit steep and the hotel was very busy so seemed a bit hectic in public areas.
Swift check out in the morning.
Handy for the city centre and shopping.
Would definitely stay here again.

Dear Traveaholic_8,

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Midland and of course for using the hotel whilst staying in the City Centre.

Thanks also for the opening statement of 'Brilliant staff' as we do our utmost to ensure that our great team deliver a fantastic experience for our guests.

We look forward to your return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here many times and its always a pleasure. Our latest stay was to take our son and his wife for a night away and spoil them, it was amazing from start to finish from the lunch I had with my daughter-in-law whilst the boys watched football to the shopping in Manchester and the fabulous breakfast in bed we had in our suites perfect from start to finish

Room Tip: If you can book a suite, I've never stayed In a standard room here but the suites are gorgeous a...