“Perfect Choice for an early flight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport

You added Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport to your Saves list
Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Outwood Lane | Manchester Airport, Manchester M90 4HL, England   |
Ranked #40 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Londonderry, N.I
“Perfect Choice for an early flight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

We were going on a family holiday to the Dominican Republic and as we were travelling over from Belfast decided to stay the night before the flight at the airport. We always book our travel through Travel Counsellors so our agent suggested this hotel.

There were five of us booked in to three rooms.

The accommodation was excellent, rooms were large and well furnished - nice bathrooms and windows that actually open! The hotel itself could not be faulted, the rooms, bar and open areas were all very well laid out. We ate between the bar and the restaurant. While we found the bar service very good the food was only just ok. The restaurant was worse and our group waited for 20 minutes after ordering and then when quizzed was told our order had been lost.

The price per night was excellent value and did exceed expectations.

The worst point was the reception staff - both when we checked in and out. If this could be improved it would be excellent.

The hotel is very close to the terminal, takes a few mins. Five our us with five large cases walked over in the morning and had no problems. The courtesy coach is NOT reliable - even though the reception staff make you book a seat for your appropriate time! When you arrive down there is just a queue and it is who can barge on. If at all possible WALK.

Great option for an early flight!!

• Liked — Quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — Reception Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Barton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

Spent one night at this hotel on a room and parking package £114 before flying to sorrento. we arrived at 7 p.m check in was easy and parking of the car was also straight forward cars are parked at the rear of the hotel in a car park provided. The room was of a decent size with two double beds with linen bedding very comfy .We both had a good nights sleep ready for our journey. The only downside is the lack of aircon but it was no real problem for ourselves has it was not that warm the night we stayed. Had a meal at the restaurant wich was nice with good service. Getting to terminal one can be walked in 5 to 10 minutes or you can use the courtesy bus wich we did on our return it now picks up at the car park opposite arrivals due to the incident at glasgow. I will be using this hotel again if flying from manchester after using dearer ones in the past with leisure facilities.

• Liked — position and price
  • Disliked — no aircon
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

I stay at the Bewleys hotel a couple of times a year and while its hard to criticise the accommodation, the quality of staff service/competence seems to be in decline.

The room as always was of good size, had good linen, was clean and tidy and has a free internet connection. Bathroom was clean and shower good.

We arrived after midnight and checked in reasonably quickly. I declined the offer of an early morning call as on our 3 previous stays the call didn't come, once nearly resulting in a missed flight.

We got to our room to find we had been allocated a double whereas I had booked a twin. I called reception who told me that I had definitely booked a double (I booked via phone and definitely did not). She said that they were pretty full and she didn't have anything else although she didn't actually check this out. There didn't seem to be much else to do and as we were only going to be in the room for around 8 more hours we left it at that.

On entering the bathroom, it was obvious that there were only towels for one person and there were no additional ones in the room. We called once again and eventually a man brought a single bath towel to the room. By now it was after 1am and we were a bit fed up.

Check out later went smoothly, however one of the receptionists was being very rude to a foreign guest over a problem with his credit card.

Due to the security restrictions at the airport, the courtesy bus drops off in the car parks. This seems to be adding time to the trip so make sure you book a spot on the bus and leave a little earlier while they are in force.

I will stay at this hotel again despite the service level as for £79 it still represents good value for the standard of room, it just seems a shame that customer service does not appear to be a priority in this hotel.

• Liked — Convenient for the airport. Good value.
  • Disliked — Level of service.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

A really great Hotel, very conveniently situated! Rooms fantastic, Brasserie service exceptional - wish I could remember the name of our waitress. She was top class!

Just one problem. We did not book into the Hotel, just arrived early afternoon and asked for a twin room. We were told there were none left. Only doubles. We asked whether there was a possibility that a folding bed could be placed in the room, as we cannot sleep in a double bed. We were told this was not possible and they had nothing they could give us, only the double bed.

As we had to have a room, we accepted the double. On entering the room, however, we immediately noticed that the sofa converted into a double bed. We set it up, and I rang Reception asking whether we could have another duvet. I was told by the Receptionist that as the Hotel was almost full, there would not be one available.

I found this incredible, and unbelieveable that in a Hotel the size of Bewleys, that they would not have spare bedding! I can only assume the Receptionist was too lazy to do anything about getting us one. I also find it incredible that the Reception staff are unaware that the sofas convert into beds!

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

Had a problem at check-in where they advised us they hadn't took the payment for our rooms (2) when we booked. Apparently this is standard practise, but we couldnt confirm it with our bank., (and hadnt checked beforehand...our fault)

The hotel is nice. Staff are pleasant. The only 'complaint' I had was that the carpets, although obviously clean, were littered a bit. I put that down to it being late in the evening (plus the hotel was busy).

The bar/restaurant area is nice and clean. The bar closed at 12 which was a little disappointing, but hey if you didnt have an earlier start you wouldnt be staying here.

I will definitely stay here again if I am forced (freakin supplements for flying from Scotland!) to fly from here again.

If money was no object, I would try the Radisson just to see if it was better.

You WILL enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Northeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

The review just before mine is dead on so I won't repeat but provide additional points. I've heard you can walk to the hotel from the airport but the roads look confusing so I stuck with the shuttle- you can call from the blue phone in the terminal or from your cell phone, it takes about 10 minutes.

Upon arriving at the hotel you'll notice a new looking tower and an older looking 3 story portion. My photos are from a room in the tower, I'm guessing the other pictures on this site are from a room in the other side, both look very nice. Rooms were amazingly clean and fresh, what a relaxing refresing pleasure. Internet was free, fast and easy to use. Service was friendly and welcoming.

There is a lot of public space in the lobby for working, relaxing or having a drink. I had 3 meals at the hotel- breakfast buffet was quite nice, lunch was limited menu but good, dinner I was not as impressed as the previous writer (I had the fish and chips, obviously should have had a steak) but it was still much better than standard budget hotel food.

Overall, this hotel is a good value, allows you to do work and relax and very convenient to the airport. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — food and no restaurants nearby
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

Booking at Bewley's was straightforward, although their own website was apparently down on two of my three attempts. I thought that at £79 per night for a room, this hotel compared favourably to other chains with a more overtly budget manifesto.

On arrival, the exterior of the hotel seemed large, new and very clean. The reception area was shiny and pleasant, and check-in went smoothly. Within ten minutes of arriving I was in my room on the first floor, which contained a double bed and settee (presumably a sofabed for use by families). This was very nice for lounging around on and reading my book before dinner! The room was pleasantly decorated and spotless, with crisp white bed linen and no strange odours. Generous tea and coffee making facilities were provided; Bewley's own excellent teabags and sachets of instant coffee (which I can't vouch for the quality of). There was plenty of hanging and drawer space, so it was possible to unpack fully.

For those who need to work during their stay, the room also contained a large desk and firm chair. Although I didn't test the veracity of this, the hotel claims that free wireless internet is available everywhere - one in the eye for more expensive hotel chains which charge per day's use for a slow ADSL connection. It seems an inviting prospect to surf the internet from one of the many leather settees and armchairs in the hotel's public areas.

The bathroom was again spotless, although rather functional in appearance. Wall-mounted dispensers of Dove body wash and Palmolive shampoo were provided. The Grohe shower was fantastic. I spent a long, luxurious half hour washing my hair and showering, and the water temperature & pressure stayed constant throughout. Happily, the drain was free and unimpeded, so I didn't have to stand in a murky puddle of my own dirty water. Extra towels were provided as standard, and the towels actually smelled pleasant, as though they had been dried in the open air - a rare thing in a budget hotel. One tiny minus point must be awarded for the provision of a completely inadequate hairdryer, but then again I do have a larger than average mop of hair. It would probably serve the normal-haired guest quite well, and was thoughtfully situated in front of a mirror.

A really nice surprise came at dinner time. In the restaurant I ate what was probably the best steak I've had for ages. According to the blurb on the menu, Bewley's serves only aged, grass-fed Wexford beef, and here you can get an 8oz sirloin with mushrooms, bearnaise or pepper sauce and two side dishes for only just over a tenner. This wonderful beef was cooked perfectly rare as requested and served by competent, welcoming waiting staff in a pleasant dining room. I also ordered a large glass of red wine from an inviting list and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The buffet breakfast was served between civilised hours in the same dining room. It too was delicious, so I feel a bit churlish pointing out that a full Irish breakfast by definition must contain white pudding as well as black, and is usually accompanied by potato or soda farls and soda bread. But I do appreciate that these things may be hard to find in industrial qunatities outside Ireland.

All in all, I would recommend Bewley's as a lovely way to spend the night in comfort without breaking the bank. The public areas of the hotel have an exceptionally pleasant, open, light feel and the room I stayed in was cosy without being claustrophobic.

• Liked — Welcoming, bright, open quality of public areas.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!