“Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

You added Holiday Inn Express Manchester East to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wall Way, Debdale Park | Hyde Road, Manchester M18 7LJ ‎, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Burntwood
“Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was in the North West on business, and looked on the internet for somewhere reasonably priced and easily accessible from the vast motorway network there.
I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Gorton, East Manchester , via Laterooms.com , as it fitted the criteria I was looking for.
Check in was straight forward, and my room was on the 2nd floor, with a spacious double bed, tv, en-suite etc.
I ate in the restaurant there, and have to say my sirloin steak was cooked to perfection ( medium rare ).
My only criticism , ( and this is not the hotels fault ), is some noisy characters talking and laughing loudly in the corridor, in the evening, which in my opinion , is very inconsiderate for the other guests at the hotel, some of whom may be sleeping as they may have an early flight from Manchester Airport, the next morning.
Will definitely stop here again though !!

Stayed July 2014
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Barry210357

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We welcome all feedback from our guests and I am very pleased by your comments. It's particularly great that you enjoyed your evening meal with us and I will be sure to share your comments with the kitchen staff.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for one night on 6th July. The Hotel is bright clean with friendly staff. The room was very spacious and bright with everything we needed on hand. The only downside to this hotel was the disappointing food on offer. Shepherds Pie, Hotpot or Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni. All very stodgy and down to the last remnants. Not what your looking for when you have just arrived from a long bus journey. Having said that breakfast in the morning was much nicer and fresher. Did lack some bacon though. The food made me short stop on 5 stars.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mitchell67

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that overall your stay with us was a very pleasant one and your comments on the staff are particularly heartening. We welcome and value all honest feedback from our guests so that we can use it to improve the products and services that we offer. I take on board your comments with regards to the food options and will take it into consideration when implementing future changes.

We look forward to your next visit.

Basildon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed here 5th and 6th of June. As I was looking at my expenses I realized that this hotel had charged me £100 fine (which there was no notification what so ever about the charge), on "smoking" in the room, which I have not done. IF the smell was true, it must have been next door or corridor or smoke coming in from window from ground floor car park (I stayed ground floor), or it really could be anything, but it was 100% not me. Also the least they could do is to contact me before charging, so I could go back to hotel immediately as checked out and tell them my self it was not me right in front of the room "Smelling".

As this infuriated me, I called hotel for refund, which next phase of frustration starts with the hotel.

1. Receptionist kept accusing me on smoking in the room. He tried to excuse not contacting me immediately about the charge, because he didn't have my contact number due to booking through 3rd party. So what if I had done serious damage to the room? Would he still say he didn't have my contact detail? If the hotel really wanted to find out my contact details, they could have. They were not bothered and just charged the money.

2. Since nothing seemed to move on with receptionist, he asked to e-mail GM but didn't get a reply after a week, so I called back the hotel asking for the GM. They told me to call later as GM was on the phone, so I did and then was told GM had gone home. As this was infuriating me, I finally got a UNILATERAL reply from GM after second e-mail I sent. The UNILATERAL content was that they won't refund. So he told me to now go to customer service if I wanted to take this further. So I have put my claim to customer service, trying to explain AGAIN ALL OVER taking up my time. Currently waiting on their reply and I hope someone more comprehensive and RATIONAL comes out this time.

On service side, GM could also AT LEAST directed me to customer service, if he was polite enough. Knowing that this matter is taking all my work time and stressing me, all he said was "contact customer service" after I had called the hotel 5 times and sent 2 emails to solve this matter.

I can imagine there are more victims on these charges. They can argue anything, really, and charge you. I can imagine, most of people giving up and paying due to their slow and unprofessional UNILATERAL attention, until you give up chasing for refund.

At the end of the day it's £100, and they also know that most of people would give up for the hassle to deal with this hotel.

Specially I can see foreigners on Holidays never been able to get refund back once charged.

This is not right.

This is almost unbelievable.

Room Tip: Personally recommend not to stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Kirk K

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed by your comments and very sorry that this situation has left you feeling frustrated. I understand that you have already been in conversation with our General Manager and Guest Relations department and that a refund has been authorised to you.
In line with all Holiday Inn Express hotels, we do have a very strict smoking policy in place here and our Duty Manager's will to enforce this whenever it is evident that a guest has been smoking in the room, be it a strong smell of residual smoke or physical evidence such as ash or cigarette ends.
The comfort, and more importantly the safety of our guests is absolutely paramount to us and our smoking policy is in place to prevent unnecessary evacuations of the hotel due to the triggering of our sensitive fire detection system, to minimise the risk of fire, and also to ensure that the room is kept in a good condition for the next guest. As such, we do ask our guests to sign a registration card on check in acknowledging this smoking policy and agreeing to abide by it's terms. There is also signage within all of our rooms with this policy displayed.

Southend-on-Sea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for one night at end-June. Rooms are spacious, clean and well-appointed. Dining area somewhat cramped, with limited help-yourself serving space, which led to queues for a coach party. Would have given 5 stars Excellent had bacon been on the breakfast menu. Bar prices a tad steep. Large car park. Staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear GeoffreyM593

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that your stay with us was a pleasant one and will be delighted to share your comments with the team. I take on board your feedback regarding the breakfast choices. We do serve in line with the Holiday Inn Express brand standard and unfortunately bacon is something that is not currently served. However, we are always looking for ways to improve the services that we offer and I will be delighted to share your feedback with our partners at IHG.

We very much look forward to your next visit.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

With Manchester hosting a festival, the Ideal home, Robbie’s football match we had a problem finding a room so settled for a triple at Holiday Inn and were not disappointed. A double and a double put you up already made up, nice white bedding and large towels plus a pleasant breakfast with people who came down in pyjamas – was I on my own thinking this was wrong?

Room Tip: The pub next door stops serving food at 9pm.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear JoPattern

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that your stay with us has left such a positive impression on you. We aim to provide all of our guests with a pleasant and comfortable stay, whether it be a last minute booking or made weeks in advance, and I am very pleased that this is what you received.
I will share your comments with the rest of the team here. We look forward to seeing you again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had a great night very clean and quite, had a problem with a local taxi company but the staff at the hotel dealt with it very fast and got me a full refund and 25% compensation. Thanks to Fred the night staff.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear fffffffffffffffgghj

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that your visit was such a pleasant one, and that one of our staff members was able to resolve an issue that you had. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to Fred and to the team as a whole.

We look forward to seeing you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The staff was really nice and warm friendly .The bed was really comfortable I enjoyed the weekend away. The staff in the morning making sure that you have a hot drinks straight away I enjoyed the breakfast and the staff making sure if you want a top up . I definitely would go back again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Lizzy E

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am really heartened by your comments on the team here and it's fantastic that they made you feel welcome. We work hard to provide our guests with an excellent level of customer service and feedback such as yours only serves to encourage all of our team members. I'll be delighted to share your review at our next team meeting.

We look forward to your next visit.

Regards

Deputy General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester East? Share your experiences!