“Boring” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 81 Attractions in Manchester
Type: Neighborhoods, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Centered around the Canal street area in Manchester is a thriving gay scene, which offers a plethora of bars, clubs, restaurants and other nighttime venues for gays and straights alike.
Lockerbie
“Boring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

A real disappointment. Was expecting some kind of atmosphere! I would have thought they would have had a DJ on at the weekends?!

Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Love Canal St, although we were a party of 11 so had to split up in order to get into the bars which is a bit of a shame. But great pubs and bars with a fun atmosphere and great music.

4 attraction reviews
“Not as good as it was but still lucky to have it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The village has gone down over recent years, I believe it is because the credit crunch the bars felt they had to reduce their prices which in turn attracted the wrong type of people. However Manchester is still lucky to have somewhere like this for the gay community and both the local community and tourists should help support the local businesses. There is still a broad range of bars and clubs which cater for peoples different tastes. For tourists who do not know the area, please do not walk down the canal areas (away from the bars) in the evenings as there is a high crime rate down there with several men being pushed into the canal.

“Avoid !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Grotty dirty shabby bars . Over run by tourists . Cheap shots offered to lure u In that taste like the slop trays with black currant added . Certainly no alcohol .
Oscars appeared the only bar with any decent gay people in it .
On a Friday night it was half empty . Despite staying till 2 am
Bars like coyote and vanilla have the audacity to charge u to get in . The music is dire the bars are grim and the punters ugly as hell !
Think everyone has moved on somewhere else . And I can't blame them !

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“You are ok as long as your not there as a heterosexual couple.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

After, previously, having a great night out on Canal Street, with the girls i suggested to my, male, partner that we should go for a night out, in which we very much ended up regretting. The first bar we went in, despite, it being only averagely busy took 3/4 of an hour to get served, the second bar refused us entry saying they had a private party on, the third bar also refused us entry and openly said we wasn't aloud in as we were not gay. The fourth bar let us in, reluctantly but we were only aloud upstairs on our own segregated from everyone else. The final straw came on our last attempt (as it was pointless in carrying on ) when I was refused entry purely because I was a woman. I have never felt so upset and discriminated against in all my life, and I also believe that this was not an isolated case. If any Gay was treated in an everyday pub the way my partner and I was treated that night they would be an uproar about being discriminated against. Will I go back, no way, not even on a girls night out, I can't understand why gangs of girls and boys are welcome but couples are not surely if there was trouble it would be from the gangs of revellers rather than from the couples.

Visited December 2013