“Cakes to die for” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cakes to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just back from another visit to the Teacup on Thomas St., and once again I was not disappointed.
I found this teashop a few months back, and after the recent expansion and the extended evening menus I have found even more reasons to visit. On a recent visit we had the Eggs Benedict with tea, and what I loved was the egg timer set aside so you could time your brew. I like mine quite weak so needless to say I removed the bag soon after it arrived, but a nice touch.
I had not seen an old acquaintance for many years and decided to take him here for tea and cake, and had an enjoyable couple of hours reminiscing about the past whilst enjoying the cakes. The staff were attentive, but not “in your face”, and we felt that our custom was appreciated. The Cakes are to die for with such a great selection of “home-made” cakes that are made on the premises.
Although they are a little more expensive than some other teashops, the extra expense is well worth it, and I am intending to book a table for me and friends when I celebrate my 30th Anniversary later next year.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Tea and cakes to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Only just discovered this place and I won't b staying away for too long.!
The sandwitches are very nice and well made, the service is excellent. I went for something new;- an anti-psychotic blend of tea with damiana, hibiscus, vanilla pod and bergamot which was lovely with a spoon of honey.
The selection of in-house made cakes is amazing, the pistachio sponge cake was totally divine, I wanted to lick the plate.!!!!
Cannot recommend this place enough and quite reasonably priced for what you get.
Get yourself there for a lovely lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“nice tea, horrible food, tragic service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have visited Teacup in Manchester twice, the first time in July 2012 where we ordered two pots of tea and two cakes. The tea menu is a nice touch, I enjoyed the unusual teas on offer, however the cakes and the service were fairly poor.

I was in Manchester again in September 2012 and decided to give Teacup another try, it turned out to be one of the WORST DINING dining experiences of my life.

We ordered afternoon tea which I would describe as a rip-off, stale cakes and miserable sandwiches. I have included a photo of one of the sandwiches, which contained merely a sliver of chicken. The cakes were inedible, but worst of all half way through the meal we noticed ANTS crawling on the cake, on closer inspection the termites were on the floor, walls and table. Service was so poor, we waited 15+ minutes to complain but nobody came to our table, I had to leave to get sick, my friend left the money for the meal on the table against my wishes and we left. I will never return!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Killer breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Went here with my wife on a sunday morning for breakfast after deciding we didnt like the looks of the nearby Koffee Pot. While it wasnt the cheapest, it was worth every penny. Highly recommend it!

“such a shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This used to be a great little place to grab breakfast or lunch with a nice smile from friendly staff and tasty tea.
However, since the expansion/menu change, the toasted sandwiches are dry and tasteless, a shadow of what they were. The prices are ever extortionate and the charm has gone.

Staff are uninterested and seeing the chef smoke next to the back door is really off putting. Pop across to HomeSweetHome for authentic charm, it's got the original vibe that Teacup started out with!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rebecca T, Public Relations Manager at Teacup Kitchen, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hi F Holmes,

We're really sorry to hear that you haven't enjoyed your recent visit with us at Teacup. As you know we've been going through some changes since the refurbishment earlier in the year, and we hope these changes have allowed us to create a better customer experience. We're really sorry to hear that this period of flux has affected your enjoyment of our restaurant.

We'd love for you to try us again. Please drop us an email on feedme@casualmanna.com and we'll see if we can toast you a sandwich to be proud of.

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

Teacup.