“Lovely food but....” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #693 of 1,718 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Lovely food but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Good points:
Cannot fault the food; it was excellent, portions were more than adequate and we came away feeling very full and satisfied.
Quite a few Asian people were dining here too - always a good sign of good food, which it was.
Trendy with a nice outdoor seating area and nice decor inside and out.
Staff were helpful friendly and approachable.

So why three stars?

The service was chaotic, and we waited far too long for our starter - well over forty minutes, not good.
There was a service charge automatically added to the bill and not worth it considering the chaos around the meals.
I ordered a bottle of beer, the bar tender seemed confused over the price, told me £3.50 then gave me the bottle, I wanted a glass with ice and he then said £4.50 - I gave him £5 and didn't get any change. I didn't complain because we hadn't eaten at that point..... I will tip for good service, but establishments need to be aware that they can't just take tips without being asked to do so.

I don't think I would go there again as there are many more restaurants in the area to choose from with a far better approach to customer service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“What a night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Booked in for my OH's birthday with 10 others on a Saturday night. Usually I dread eating out with a large group as something always goes wrong, but thanks to the superb service and amazing food we were all left beaming and full!

The bar is beautiful and you can see into the kitchen but as there were so many of us and it was busy we were seated upstairs, which overlooks the ground floor, so we still felt a part of the action! Our waiter was friendly, informative and generally brilliant and rather than all of us ordering off the menu he was very accommodating and organised a unique set meal of curries of a range of heat based on our preferences. The food was plentiful, delicious and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Thank you for a memorable night!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Doha, Qatar
“A very good first visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went there with a couple of our friends who live in Manchester. It was their recommendation and it didn't disappoint.

Lovely trendy place, excellent for a good jolly night out. The bar area was civilised and comfortable enough to have a couple of drinks before dinner. Dining area was enormous, with an open plan kitchen. As you walk in from the bar, you are welcome with the fabulous aroma from the kitchen. If you're not hungry, you would be by then :).

Food was great - some unusual indian dishes, and a reasonably ok selection of middle eastern ones. For starters, we had Falafels, some bbq chicken which was very spicy, on its own, but absolutely perfect when combined with the dips provided. The tiger prawn was gi-normous and extremely flavoursome, as was the tandoori haddock.

For main courses, we had Makhani Dahl - gorgeously velvety, an interesting lamb shank (Lamb Sultani) and a Chicken Handi which was alright. The best dish however, was the grilled seabass in herbs and spices. It was succulent, and full of flavours.

Desserts all looked very good so we picked one to share - well it's one of those look good taste awful thing. We won't bother with desserts next time.

Will definitely come back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Not blown away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We had a meal here with a large group of friends on a Saturday night. It was my first experience of an Indian restaurant on this scale. My first impressions focussed on the loud music and sheer number if people it could hold.

We were shown to our table upstairs, which despite the size of the restaurant was squeezed into a tight corner. On a couple of occasions, diners at our table had to get up to allow staff to change the music with the dj equipment next to us.

Our order was taken promptly and the food arrived shortly afterwards. Unfortunately, our mains were a bit mixed up. My wife had ordered a fish curry but received a chicken one instead. We did get the fish one to take home though.

I can't honestly say that the food was of a much higher standard than that available in less swanky establishments.

A big problem as far as we were concerned was the heat and smoke from the kitchen. I don't know if this is more of a problem when seated upstairs, but we all came away really hot and with our clothes smelling strongly of cooking. I'd recommend they invest in some slightly more substantial extraction systems for their kitchen.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester UK
“A good experience...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am no expert on Asian cuisine and tend to play safe with a range of dishes that i know and love.

The traditional "curry house" has been a part of the British high street for decades and they generally fit into a broad sterotype. We find the one we enjoy most and leave the ones we dont.

Zouk is one of a new generation of restaurants seeking to break out of that traditional sterotype and provide a new experience.

And so it was to the Zouk that we adjourned o a Saturday evening,acting upon the recommendation of one of my party who had previously attended with friends and thoroughly recommended it.

Zouk conveniently provides on line booking.

It is also conveniently sited on the Oxford Rd strip just a little way out of central Manchester and with plenty of nearby parking.

The frontage of the restaurant gives no clue as to its vastness inside. The interior is a breath of fresh air...vast and atmospheric with modern decor and lighting.

The restaurant was getting busy but they must take walk ins as they didnt bother to cross check if we had a reservation and we were quickly seated.

The restaurant is lively and has a good buzz about it. Staff were pleasant and attentive (see later !) and our order was quickly taken.

The men was varied and rather different from typical traditonal restaurants.

Food quality was good and in particular,the main courses were for me,one of the best i have had.

It would have been nice to have frsshly chopped salad with the starters but i suspect they were using prebagged salad i.e leaves/rocket etc,,,

All in all a great experience which was only marred at the end when the bill came and they had added a service charge to the total. There was a print on the bil lsaying service charge is optonal.

I do not expect to have a service charge appended to my bill and i certainly do not expct it to be taken as of right.

Even when the protable card reader was presented,the service charge had been included.

Many such software packages allow you to press a button to accept the service charge yes/no but no here. It was added to the total. I aksed the water to amend it and he did so but then appeared to develop an attitude,insisting that there was a service charge.

Mine,and i expect most peoples way is to leave a tip havin g paid the bill. We did so, but the water just took it and stormed off with a thank you or any acknowledgement.

I will not be treated in such a manner by anyone and so i will not be frequenting this establishment again. A great pity as a lovely evening was marred by this money grabbing experience.

There is also a separate bar inside and shisha/smoking area outside.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere