“It was OK!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Steak and Lobster at Alto

Steak and Lobster at Alto
Free Trade Hall, Peter Street | Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, Manchester M2 5GP, England (Manchester City Centre)
+44 161 835 8903
Website
Update restaurant details
Reserve with toptable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #283 of 1,616 restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manchester City Centre
Description: Offering an exciting dining concept, Steak & Lobster Manchester has forgone a menu brimming with choice to offer just 2 dishes: a 10oz rib eye steak or a whole lobster. Enjoy views through the floor-to-ceiling windows and soak up the informal, understated atmosphere whilst appreciating the simplicity and speed of this fresh and original concept.
“It was OK!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

It was OK! We both had lobster which comes with unlimited fries and salad. I enjoyed say two-thirds of the lobster but I could not eat the claws as they tasted over cooked. The salad was really nice, well dressed and tasty. Equally the fries were also very nice. I had two refills of salad and a refill of the fries which was the only way I didn't go away hungry.

Even though this is a great deal, it is still quite expensive if you end up doing up on fries and salad!!

Service was fantastic, cannot fault that. Wine was good but was served a little on the warm side.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I am please to hear you thought the service was fantastic, many thanks, Ryan.

69% Recommend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Simplicity at his best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Being in a restaurant where the only option to choose from is Lobster of Steak is not only brilliant but the fantastic atmosphere and excellent service instantly brings this establishment into my top 10 favourite places! Oh, and the food is great too. Waiters are not coming enough to your table if you would like more salad or fries! The contemporary stylish decor and music gives you the feeling you are somewhere special whilst your maincourse only cost you £15! Will be back soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for this great review! I am very happy to hear that you like Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, I am personally glad to hear this falls within your top 10, We all look forward to welcoming you back soon, Thanks once again, Ryan Thompson.
“If yoU want reasonable steak and reasonable lobster for a reasonable price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Then here you go. Simple as that.

The steak is the pick of the two IMO, mine was juicy, well cooked and tasty. It's no Gaucho steak, but then nor is the price a gaucho price. The lobster is slightly disappointing. Despite supposedly being grilled (rather than steamed) it was watery and rather bland...not exactly the king of crusteaceans! For the price, it is adequate, however I am not so desperate to eat lobster that I'd be rushing to order it again, I think it is the steak every time.

The salad and chips are both perfectly acceptable and the free refills are a nice touch given the portion sizes didn't really fill my appetite ( I did start to get embarrassed after my third salad and fourth bowl of chips!)

The staff are attentive as needs be as the setting is great being inside the grand space that is the Radisson.

It really just does what you expect it to do and serves the purpose it sets out to, to provide reasonable food in pleasant surroundings...just generally a decent place to eat out if you are on a budget.

Manchester
“Fab Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Was here on a 3 days course and for 2 of those days we dined in the steak and lobster bar. So one day I had lobster and the steak.

Lobster was grilled and really nice and sweet, claws were easy to break apart and the fries that came with it were delish. Did not like the salad AT all. Had really strong paramsan cheese covered all over it. Would be better simply dressed in balsamic.

Day 2 I had the steak, came out perfectly cooked and was enjoyable. Again fries were nice and i had the salad with no dressing which was better.

Would certainly come again, whilst i did not have to pay for the meals myself as the course provider paid i would not hesitate to pay for this myself and will be coming back with friends.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, I am sorry that this time we missed the mark but many of our team are working hard to make the Steak & Lobster experience fantastic and great value for money, I hope that one day we would be able to welcome you back.
“Get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Thought I'd give this a go as it's obviously a cheap deal, even though it's price was relatively low, they only serve 1 of 2 mains and it's a hotel with a good reputation so thought the food would be good.
Service was generally good to start with (even though I wasn't informed of the unlimited fries!), however while eating dessert they decided to start cleaning up and preparing for evening service making us feel pretty unwelcome as well as being put off by a very strong smelling cleaning product.
The deal I got was including free dessert (which was an okay knickerbocker glory) meaning the overall cost was fairly low.
I had the lobster (grilled) and it really wasn't that nice, fairly tasteless and a bit watery. Very disappointing. My partner had steak which I'm told was okay but not great.

Great idea but executed badly. Even at a very reasonable price I feel like I overpaid! At the very least It felt like we'd gone there between shifts and possibly had a bad experience because of it.

• Visited March 2013