“Simplicity at his best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Steak and Lobster at Alto

Steak and Lobster at Alto
Free Trade Hall, Peter Street | Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, Manchester M2 5GP, England (Manchester City Centre)
+44 161 835 8903
Website
Update restaurant details
Reserve with toptable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #283 of 1,617 restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manchester City Centre
Description: Offering an exciting dining concept, Steak & Lobster Manchester has forgone a menu brimming with choice to offer just 2 dishes: a 10oz rib eye steak or a whole lobster. Enjoy views through the floor-to-ceiling windows and soak up the informal, understated atmosphere whilst appreciating the simplicity and speed of this fresh and original concept.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Simplicity at his best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Being in a restaurant where the only option to choose from is Lobster of Steak is not only brilliant but the fantastic atmosphere and excellent service instantly brings this establishment into my top 10 favourite places! Oh, and the food is great too. Waiters are not coming enough to your table if you would like more salad or fries! The contemporary stylish decor and music gives you the feeling you are somewhere special whilst your maincourse only cost you £15! Will be back soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for this great review! I am very happy to hear that you like Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, I am personally glad to hear this falls within your top 10, We all look forward to welcoming you back soon, Thanks once again, Ryan Thompson.

69% Recommend
“If yoU want reasonable steak and reasonable lobster for a reasonable price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Then here you go. Simple as that.

The steak is the pick of the two IMO, mine was juicy, well cooked and tasty. It's no Gaucho steak, but then nor is the price a gaucho price. The lobster is slightly disappointing. Despite supposedly being grilled (rather than steamed) it was watery and rather bland...not exactly the king of crusteaceans! For the price, it is adequate, however I am not so desperate to eat lobster that I'd be rushing to order it again, I think it is the steak every time.

The salad and chips are both perfectly acceptable and the free refills are a nice touch given the portion sizes didn't really fill my appetite ( I did start to get embarrassed after my third salad and fourth bowl of chips!)

The staff are attentive as needs be as the setting is great being inside the grand space that is the Radisson.

It really just does what you expect it to do and serves the purpose it sets out to, to provide reasonable food in pleasant surroundings...just generally a decent place to eat out if you are on a budget.

Manchester
“Fab Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Was here on a 3 days course and for 2 of those days we dined in the steak and lobster bar. So one day I had lobster and the steak.

Lobster was grilled and really nice and sweet, claws were easy to break apart and the fries that came with it were delish. Did not like the salad AT all. Had really strong paramsan cheese covered all over it. Would be better simply dressed in balsamic.

Day 2 I had the steak, came out perfectly cooked and was enjoyable. Again fries were nice and i had the salad with no dressing which was better.

Would certainly come again, whilst i did not have to pay for the meals myself as the course provider paid i would not hesitate to pay for this myself and will be coming back with friends.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, I am sorry that this time we missed the mark but many of our team are working hard to make the Steak & Lobster experience fantastic and great value for money, I hope that one day we would be able to welcome you back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Thought I'd give this a go as it's obviously a cheap deal, even though it's price was relatively low, they only serve 1 of 2 mains and it's a hotel with a good reputation so thought the food would be good.
Service was generally good to start with (even though I wasn't informed of the unlimited fries!), however while eating dessert they decided to start cleaning up and preparing for evening service making us feel pretty unwelcome as well as being put off by a very strong smelling cleaning product.
The deal I got was including free dessert (which was an okay knickerbocker glory) meaning the overall cost was fairly low.
I had the lobster (grilled) and it really wasn't that nice, fairly tasteless and a bit watery. Very disappointing. My partner had steak which I'm told was okay but not great.

Great idea but executed badly. Even at a very reasonable price I feel like I overpaid! At the very least It felt like we'd gone there between shifts and possibly had a bad experience because of it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Timbuktu, Mali
“Average for experience, Good for value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited Alto again to try the steak as we had tried the lobster the other time and we also wanted to do that during the promotion period for free dessert! It was busier this time with more groups dining. We both ordered the steak. The waitress was a bit confused so after she had served us the steaks she said she had to go check to make sure it was our order - you would think this is something she would have confirmed before giving us the plates of food? So we sat staring at our steaks for a few minutes while she went to find out - so by the time she came back to confirm that yes, the steaks were ours!!, it had gone a bit cold. Thank goodness we didn't sneeze or cough on the steaks! The steaks were OK, not exactly cooked to perfection but not tough and grisly like those from some other joints. Again, we were offered more chips and salad which was very welcome, though this time the salad didn't taste as nice - there were bits of white in it which I could only assume were bits of feta cheese and the seasoning was not as good as when we went the first time. For dessert my husband ordered the chocolate fudge cake and I had the banoffee pie. They were both very beautifully presented and I preferred the banoffee pie to the fudge cake which was a bog standard chocolate cake. We bumped into our friends in Alto and they were with their child and I thought the waitress and waiter made an effort to make her feel comfortable which was nice. Obviously due to the limited menu, she could only have salad and chips, but she seemed happy enough. One thing which was slightly dissatisfying was when our friends settled their bill they were asked to pay for the desserts as they hadn't booked online - this was resolved after a word with one of the wait staff. I would think the same deal should apply regardless of whether a booking is made online or through the phone or to walk-in customers. All in all, it was not as good an experience as our first visit, but I still rate Alto for the good value package - do check in advance whether they will honour the free dessert thingy, though! If there was a 'Good', that would be rating I would give, but I would have to give it 'Average' for the slight downer of an experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I am glad you were impressed by the quality of our food, I apologise for the slight confusion over the order. We are just changing the desserts and now have a Chocolate cheese cake and a Banana Split on the menu. They are lovely!